Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Classic Superman stories they should remake?

I was reading the S. vs Brainiac TPB last week. It had a Curt Swan 70's story where Supes and Metropolis counts down the arrival of the rays of light from the explosion of Krypton finally reaching Earth.

Supes is a bit bummed, the JLA wonders what's going on, Brainiac has an evil scheme and the sight of the rays from Kryton has a strange effect on supes...

What other remakes would YOU like to see?

A retelling of Bloodsport and Superman’s first fight with each other would be cool. Otherwise New Krypton is a story that had a lot of potential but was ruined by its poor ending and execution with the side characters. They should try the basic premise again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

Thanks. Maybe a revised version of that 70s kid who knows supes secret identity.

Astonishing Member

Who Took the Super Out of Superman?

Panic in the Sky would be my choice, if only to see if Superman would still choose Slade to help lead & organize his assault force...

Mighty Member

Sounds good. A "superside squad" of bad guys led by supes in a serious crisis would be great...

Retired

A great book from the Marvelous Competition was the reprint series X-MEN CLASSIC/CLASSIC X-MEN, which in addition to the old stories had extra new stories that tied into that content.

I've always wanted to see something like that for other heroes. A remake has the effect of replacing the old story with a new version--whereas, I want original stories (and their creators) to get all the credit. But you could have a series where they present an old story and then new creators write stories around that, in that continuity. Since the classic comics were light on interconnecting continuity, the extra stories could extrapolate on their context.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    A great book from the Marvelous Competition was the reprint series X-MEN CLASSIC/CLASSIC X-MEN, which in addition to the old stories had extra new stories that tied into that content.

I've always wanted to see something like that for other heroes. A remake has the effect of replacing the old story with a new version--whereas, I want original stories (and their creators) to get all the credit. But you could have a series where they present an old story and then new creators write stories around that, in that continuity. Since the classic comics were light on interconnecting continuity, the extra stories could extrapolate on their context.
    That's a great idea actually!

Might be interesting to see something like this for the early Siegal/Shuster stories. We could explore aspects of that era with modern storytelling techniques that the actual comics skirted over.

How about a story where Clark reflects on whether his actions are helping or making things worse when he hears a radio report about civil war breaking out again, even worse, in the South American country he intervened in in Action Comics # 2? Or when the inhabitants of the slum he demolished can't afford to live in the new gentrified apartments that were built in their place?

What about the Metropolis police and government's efforts to capture Superman? Are they trying to develop weapons to take him down?

How does the onset of WW2 change the authorities' attitudes towards Superman and vice versa?

It might also be worth exploring Lois Lane as more than just the intrepid reporter who wants Superman...especially her frustrations at being kept down at work due to her gender even as mild-mannered Clark Kent swiftly rises as the Daily Star's top reporter.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? but good this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That's a great idea actually!

Might be interesting to see something like this for the early Siegal/Shuster stories. We could explore aspects of that era with modern storytelling techniques that the actual comics skirted over.

How about a story where Clark reflects on whether his actions are helping or making things worse when he hears a radio report about civil war breaking out again, even worse, in the South American country he intervened in in Action Comics # 2? Or when the inhabitants of the slum he demolished can't afford to live in the new gentrified apartments that were built in their place?

What about the Metropolis police and government's efforts to capture Superman? Are they trying to develop weapons to take him down?

How does the onset of WW2 change the authorities' attitudes towards Superman and vice versa?

It might also be worth exploring Lois Lane as more than just the intrepid reporter who wants Superman...especially her frustrations at being kept down at work due to her gender even as mild-mannered Clark Kent swiftly rises as the Daily Star's top reporter.
    Seconded! That would be amazing!

They actually did do something similar to this, twice: once in the "DC: Retroactive" line in 2011, and once in Action Comics #1000 ("The Car" story), and I'd love to see that expanded upon. Something like "Multiverse: Superman Family" You could have new writers and artists take on stories set in various parts of DC's history, bring back original teams for stories, and even continue stories from whichever continuity you'd like (with a "put the pieces back in the box when you're done" idea, for the most part).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Mighty Member

Would love to see a fully grown multiverse son of Superman from that story show up in DCU

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Classic Superman stories are remade all the time! All Star Superman is basically The Last Days of Superman. Invincible , who knew, is a big bloody dive through many classic Superman stories, not note for note but in a Guy Ritchie to Scorsese kind of way. Tom Strong , I would want to see ZHAVAM come back. The old gods from the old pantheons have had enough of Superman taking their Thunder so they create this all mighty golem with all their powers and access to the powers of other pantheons. I would want to see that one or a better take on Must There Be a Superman.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 05-27-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday by Maggin. Make it happen WB!
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

"There must be a Superman?" is a story I am curious about how would be done today.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? but good this time.
    Same here! By good, I mean that it's not a dark and cynical deconstruction of Superman's world. I've never understood the hype that story gets. I much prefer "The Amazing Story of Superman Red and Superman Blue!" as the perfect ending for the Earth One Superman, though All-Star Superman also works.