Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default What would make you buy New Warriors

In the 'old days' the New Warriors did quite well for sales. It was never a top 10 comic, but the first run did have 75 uissues.

All later volumes stoped reay quick and lasted (mostly) not even one year.

I did like the first team a lot. But also liked the Counter Force team (which didn't get a series)

What do you think a New Warriors series requires to make it a succes. But without raising the dead ones?

I believe Justice is a requirement, but also a few oldies who are interesting like Ultra Girl, Debrii and Silhouette (she's a must for me), combined with some of the Counterforce squad.I loved Gauntlet and think he would be great and the one surviving Scarlet Spider (MVP-clone).

Added with one or two popular youngsters, like one of the gratuated kids of Xaviers (Anole and/or Rockslide) and a hothead like Speed (YA).

That would make me wanna buy it
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Well I bought it inspite of Justice who imo was actually quite annoying in this run. But on the other hand, I do agree that he's an essential requirement to the New Warriors. I'd like to see more of Silhouette if/when they do another New Warriors series.

I actually felt the opposite John. I liked Justice, but I felt Speedball was reeeeeally irritating in this run. Some of the jokes that were being written into the book were just being repeated over and over. I would like to see some of the older, classic members of the new warriors reform the team.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I actually felt the opposite John. I liked Justice, but I felt Speedball was reeeeeally irritating in this run. Some of the jokes that were being written into the book were just being repeated over and over. I would like to see some of the older, classic members of the new warriors reform the team.
    Fair enough about Justice Link, it'd be boring if everyone agreed on everything as for Speedball, I agree he wasn't the best character in the run. If/when there is another run than assuming she's not in another book at the time I'd like Hummingbird to be a member of the team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    In the 'old days' the New Warriors did quite well for sales. It was never a top 10 comic, but the first run did have 75 uissues.

I think the answer to these type of questions is always the same. When books like NW lasted 75+ issues it was because they sold 40-50k copies so they were able to resist to attrition for a certain amount of time before becoming unprofitable. Today 25-30k are the new 40-50k therefore attrition levels being the same books last a lot less than before.

I'm not sure after Stamford you can really go back again. But I would need the original team, or an entirely new team in the same vein.

That being said, there is something about how comics are written now which takes away from the concept. In V1 we got the entire team together in the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Fair enough about Justice Link, it'd be boring if everyone agreed on everything as for Speedball, I agree he wasn't the best character in the run. If/when there is another run than assuming she's not in another book at the time I'd like Hummingbird to be a member of the team.
    Oh totally! I had no prior knowledge of the character before this run but she quickly grew to be one of my favorites. I would love to see more of her in the future.

Fantastic Member

Darkhawk and Penance

I think a larger ratio of original team members to new characters is a must. Start the first issue with the team already formed. No more 4-5 issues to get the team together. Keep the team with 6 members only. Keep the members from all corners of the MU (mutant, meta, inhuman, eternal, etc.).
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

It would have to be good rather than merely mediocre. I want more thematically from a comic than, "Remember ________? Well here they are again!"

I'd want a writer to take the major theme(s) of the original series and attempt to show what being a New Warrior means in the twenty-first century in the context of the MU.

And personally, if I were writing it, I'd try to expand on the roster: I'd want as many young b- and c- list characters as I could fit in the team.

-Pav, who stands by his New Warriors Initiative idea...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

I did like the first team a lot. But also liked the Counter Force team (which didn't get a series)

What do you think a New Warriors series requires to make it a succes. But without raising the dead ones?

I believe Justice is a requirement, but also a few oldies who are interesting like Ultra Girl, Debrii and Silhouette (she's a must for me), combined with some of the Counterforce squad.I loved Gauntlet and think he would be great and the one surviving Scarlet Spider (MVP-clone).

Added with one or two popular youngsters, like one of the gratuated kids of Xaviers (Anole and/or Rockslide) and a hothead like Speed (YA).

That would make me wanna buy it
    Eh, I don't think they should bring back the old characters, at least not most of them. The book's concept is a bunch of young heroes working together. It doesn't work if they aren't that young anymore, it just makes the characters feel stale if they always end up at the same position as they started.
    It's the same problem the New Mutants had. The first series was a success because it was the first one to really focus on the school aspect of the X-men (after the X-men had already moved on from that). The characters were all young and unexperienced and it was fun to see them grow together, but now they are all drastically different, or should be. Putting them together again and just hoping the "magic" is there again doesn't work.
    So yeah, if Marvel ever wants to relaunch those books, they should focus on the concepts and not the characters or there's a risk the books become nothing more than pure nostalgia.
    Just as New Mutants should be a book about actual new mutants in training, New Warriors should be about new heroes gathering together to help people. I think a link to older versions is also important, but the book shouldn't be just a reunion of the old gang.

Darkhawk, Justice, Speedball, Nova, Ms. Marvel, Firestar, and a new Swordsman.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Nothing could make me buy New Warriors actually.
    Back in the day I bought some issues of the original run and really didn't like it. Words like boring, generic and pointless spring to mind. It totally wasn't for me.
    So no matter how well the current run is, I'm never gonna buy anything with the name 'New Warriors' on the cover. Not even gonna read it for free on Marvel Unlimited.
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

They would have to be introduce in a more popular team, one of the Avengers group, then team some of the more popular characters and form the New Warriors... I for one like the latest rendition but I understand why it didn't last , most of the characters in that group never form a steady fan base
    Last edited by 5Eyes; 09-01-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem is when you have 10 Avengers books people are just not going to buy any other team these days. When the New Warriors had there first run they were a different take on the superhero team. Now with pretty much every character in the Marvel u being a member of the Avengers a team that is not part of that just doesn't stand a chance.

Books like New Warriors, Defenders, Invaders, Champions, or any other team book without Avengers or X-Men in the title is pretty much dead from the get go these days because of the Avengers glut.