Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

For me?

But Skaar and/or Danny Ketch on the team.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    For me?

But Skaar and/or Danny Ketch on the team.
    I'd not wanna see skaar, but...

Danny Ketch has my vote.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I'd not wanna see skaar, but...

Danny Ketch has my vote.
    Which is kinda the problem with second-stringer books in microcosm I suppose.

Put Skaar on it, get my money but lose yours.

Conversely there is probably a character who'd get you to pick up each issue, and keep me from even giving it a shot.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Which is kinda the problem with second-stringer books in microcosm I suppose.

Put Skaar on it, get my money but lose yours.

Conversely there is probably a character who'd get you to pick up each issue, and keep me from even giving it a shot.
    Well to be fair you said "AND/OR" I just went with "or".
    Though, you're right on your point, and that's why I think earlier people were saying Keep the original team.
    Danny Ketch when NOT in ghost rider form has a lot of backstory, and he also brings a bit more mystical to the story.
    Yeah Donneel Night Thrasher has that Universal Well thing lurking, but beyond that the rider's the supernatural threat guy, which currently they lack. If not Danny, then they get all the mystical stuff from Donnell who doens't have that as his primary gig, I mean he's a tech-y
    Having a hulk on the team... how many hulks are there now? 5? There's already a teen hulk too.
    Whoever gets added outside the original core team should have a really defined reason to be on that team, from a
    "what do they add" kind of perspective. though I'm not really sure, having a hulk doesn't just keep "Rage" off the team.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Tell me the book is the only place where I can read about Richard Rider, and call the book Nova. Put someone like Charles Soule on writing duties. Then I'd read it. Otherwise? I dont think I could be made to care enough about the team. Hell, I dropped NOVA when Darkhawk started showing up a lot.

New Warriors is basically the Marvel version of Teen Titans right? The problem is in Marvel you don't have a lot of sidekicks who want to get some space from their mentors, you have a bunch of fairly random young heroes who'd be deciding to take up a name that is universally hated "in universe" rather than joining up with the beloved Avengers World or one of the mutant schools.

I dont think you can go back to the way things were before Stamford. I mean, it'd be like a brand new oil company starting up and calling themselves BP. Why would any group of people decide to carry that particular cross on their backs? That's where your story is, I think. The team needs something to set them apart and make them worth reading, because no one is going to pick up a book full of C-listers, with no Avengers title on the cover, just to watch them fight the same type of threats every other team deals with. So beyond exploring why these people would take up the NW mantle, you'd have to find a different focus for the team. Maybe they're focused on humanitarian aid? These could be the heroes who feed villages and clean up polluted lakes. That could still be interesting and be used as a way for the NW to atone for the past.

I have a hard time seeing most of the original roster returning, too. Speedball would want to redeem the name I'd think, and Justice might go with him (they're bro's right?) but the rest of the original roster seems to be either dead or moved on or both. Not a lot of surviving members seem to dwell on those days from what Ive seen.

I suppose the New Warriors could be the outcast's team of outcasts. The people no one wants, not Avengers or X-Men or Future Foundation or SHIELD or whoever else. That might be fun to read about. And just because no one wants to work with them doesnt mean they'd have to be inexperienced or low powered or anything. And there are some great characters who could be introduced and used. I could see Ms. Marvel or X-23 ending up with this sort of outfit. Noh-Varr too (where is he these days?) Maybe Nate Gray (again, no idea what he's up to).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Make the cast recognizable from the get-go. No more mystery characters, and I'd incorporate some of the better A:I and YA heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    You could... say have it written by Gaiman, or Ellis, or well pretty anyone's who's name picks up momentum on its own. People (not just me) give a lot of comics a try based on popular writers reviving the series.
    I think this is pretty much the only way to make the series successful. Put a good, high-profile writer on the creative team and New Warriors should have a much better chance of selling well. I kinda doubt Marvel would do that any time soon though, unless a good, high-profile writer approached them with an idea.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I would've liked a better cast. Scarlet Spider is cool and it's nice to see some older members, but there were too many characters I was totally unfamiliar with. Also, it needed Nita.

A good creative team with a cool concept. I'm easy to please, like that.

I was really interested in this current run, because I liked the idea of drawing in a variety of characters from all the various corners of the Marvel universe, and I remembered enjoying Yost and Kyle on NEW X-MEN back in the day. Also, Sun Girl and Water Snake both have cool looks. Water Snake gets the award for having the worst name on a team that includes a dude called Speedball, but she has a cool look. Then I got the first issue, and I remembered why I stopped enjoying Yost and Kyle's work over the years. Killing off supporting characters to "raise the stakes" is lazy, amateur hour nonsense, and Marvel comics should not stoop so low. Killing off Bova doesn't even raise the stakes, because she's a gentle cow lady; it's not like she could put up much of a fight. The characterization ended up being fairly thin. The few issues I read focused far too much on Kaine and...whatshername, neither of whom are the least bit interesting, while the inhuman dude, Sun Girl, and Water Snake were pretty much background props. All in all the book is a mess, and it doesn't surprise me it's been cancelled.

However, if there's a new NEW WARRIORS book in the future, and it has a creative team I like on it, and sounds like they're going to take the book somewhere interesting, I'd be down.

Oh, and no kid Nova.

The price being lowered to $2.99 and a reasonably good/promising creative team. An appealing character roster would help, but I'd rather there be good stories with unknown characters than bad ones with good characters.

I just don't feel anything for the characters. Even with Yost on it (a writer I love) I had no desire to pick it up. Honestly, the only way I'd get it was if the team was completely different (and then it wouldn't be New Warriors anymore). Sorry. But I hope it gets more love down the line, for the fans of those characters.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I've read a few New Warriors books over the years (mostly in connection to Spider-man one way or another), and I just don't like the main characters they always seem to use.

I gave the latest title a shot to follow Scarlet Spider after an uninspiring run in his own title and I didn't last two full issues.

This should be changed to a dream team of youngish heroes from Runaways, Young Avengers, etc.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I did not hate this run of New Warriors but the new guys other than kid Nova bored me, I stuck around because a fan of the original team. You would have got fans from Xmen if they put Surge such on their team, and more Inhumans fans if you put Luna in the Inhuman spot since the run. Both have little history so much of their character could have been explored.

BANNED

Erase Stamford and I'd think about it.

The characters simply need a facelift. They need to be pulled out of the 90s kicking and screaming. I can't feel but get a sense of anachronism when I see Speedball and Justice and then look at characters who have been given more modern or well rounded sensibilities like Captain Marvel. They need to have what happened to the Guardians of the Galaxy done to them - streamlining, purpose.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«