Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    That is totally Ricochet! I grew up mostly reading Spider-Man comics, and Slingers (oh so briefly) came out when I was in middle/high school. I loved seeing the Identity Crisis costumes and wondered how these new kids got them; I was pulled in by the plot and the characters and the art, and I've never looked back. Slingers is still my favorite Marvel series ever published. (And when it was cancelled, coupled with the fact that I hated John Byrne's relaunch of Spider-Man, I stopped reading comics until late undergrad.)
    When the first volume of New Warriors was cancelled back in '96, I went looking for something to fill the void. I stumbled onto Slingers as a result. Ricochet became kind of my substitute character in a world without Speedball. I liked his power set. By the time they eventually re-launched the Warriors, they had kind of let the Slingers slip away and I pretty much lost sight of the characters, outside of the same appearances you mention in Civil War and Loners. I turned my attention back full fledged to the New Warriors after that, but still have a soft spot in my heart for ol' Ricochet. I wish they would do more with him, as I would actually buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoahe22 View Post

Justice
    Firestar
    Nova (Richard Rider)
    Night Thrasher
    Darkhawk
    Speedball
    Scarlet Spider
    Namorita
    Silhouette
    Gravity
    Rage

^^^I know this is a big line-up, but not every character has to be there every issue. These are the characters that I'd want to see. And I'd want to see their growth as characters. Speedball shouldn't be the same old goofy, carefree character that he was before his time as Penance. He should still be a bit of a jokester, sure, but it should be shown how he has matured from his experience as well. I feel like this book should show how a bunch of unexperienced, powerful kids turned into a powerful, seasoned group of young adults. And they should fight legitimate threats. I always loved the Sphinx as a villain for the NW for example. I'd even have them take on some of the Avengers villains to show how far they've come. Put someone like Charles Soule on the book as a writer, and someone like Adam Kubert on the book as an artist (for that extra bonus 90's nostalgia), throw in some appearances by Dan Ketch, the Initiative characters, etc. and you have yourselves a great book IMO. Doesn't seem like it's that hard. I don't know why they keep launching New Warriors books that don't really look or feel like the old New Warriors that the fans love. Most people that pick up a New Warriors book off the bat are buying the book because they grew to love the characters in the 90's.
    Agreed 100%!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speedball View Post
    I like your ideas Silver Zeal! Although I think Speedball, Justice, Firestar, Namorita, Nova, Rage, Cloak and Dagger, Darkhawk and Silhouette should all be permanent members rather than rotational. Other than that, good stuff.
    Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbly View Post
    But then they would hardly be 'NEW' warriors, would they? Sure, old fans could pick up on the title for some of their favourites, but where's the hook for new readers? Where are the new 'viewpoint' characters for people wanting to pick up the title.

For the most part, I'm happy with the title we got. Sure it could have done with a bigger launch, an event to kick it off, more support in other titles etc but on the whole I like the team we got from Yost and Co. If anything, I think the team would have been a bit tighter without Sungirl and Haechi, but that's just my opinion.
    YES, u r ryt dat such a list of membrs we/SZ suggestd wud comprise of d 'old' crew but dats necessary 4 sales numbrs which u pointd out with...

old fans could pick up on the title for some of their favourites,
    ... but d "new" does always &/or necessarily hv 2 directly equate 2 hw experienced/old or inexperienced/nw d xcters r but cud refer 2 a nw ideal or fresh objective or "viewpoint" as u said dat unified sum of d former membrs 2gthr as NW's again.

Der is alrdy a plot "viewpoint" dats begging 2 b mined...d heroes whom all of d MU h8s bcuz of Stamford. All supahumans & mutants had 2 endure a much harsher crackdown bcuz of Stamford, bonds were broken, devotd friends turnd on each othr, long establishd supaheroes bcam each othrs enemies.

Othr supaheroes (most/gr8 majority nt all) wud b disgustd by d NWs

Xmen/mutants (most/gr8 majority nt all) wud b angerd 2wards d NWs

Humans/d general public wud b against d NW's & any of their efforts cheering 4 their arrest, disbandmnt or demise as wud many frm d abv 2 groups.

Supavillains wud regrd d NWs as jokes undermining their efforts, underestim8g their resolve 2 do gd as 'real' heroes.

Sum supavillains wud try 2 recruit dem & othrs wud manipul8 dem 2 their own ends.

Dey(d NWs) wud b separated, alone, emotionally torn, conflictd, unaided with EVERY1 trying 2 get dem 2 pay 4 Stamford...4 those who died, luvd 1's lost, bonds dat were broken & d chaos dat was birthd frm dat single event. Hell, many of d former membrs wud h8 d NW title & being assoc8d 2 d NW (as a former membr) so much dat mere hearing it invokes immense anger & self-h8 dat dey wud do anything 2 put an end 2 d NWs. Those whose real names r known will b constantly harrassed, misused, bullied & segreg8d. Sum of dem wud re-form Counter-force composed of former NW membrs purposed 2 destroy any & all things NW whn dey hear/c d reformatn of d NWs while othrs wud hv bents soo deep in2 anguish dey bcum supavillains.

While othrs wud seek 2 redeem d NW title, 2 redeem wat is left of their legacy....2 do gd 2 a world dedicatd 2 bring dem/NWs harm & 2 defend a world dat h8s dem. Dey cant just let d h8 win, dis will/is d "NEW" Warriors.

Now, hw does a group of heros protect a nation dedica8d 2 destroy dem?

Many of their own former team membrs(Counter-force) also want 2 disband or destroy d reassemble NW.

While othr former team membrs hv turnd 2 evil 2 relief demselves of d h8 dey endure frm d world & d re-assembled NW cant let dem do dat.

D NWs name & title is totally tarnishd & taintd....but is dis wat dey set-out 2 achieve whn Dwayne brought dem 2gthr? Is dis wat wud b left of their legacy?

HELL NAW!

Now dis wud b d spark dat runs thru d series accompanied with d earlier suggestns we/SZ md.

If such a series does happn & luckily runs past...say...30 issues, perhps den der can b a story of passing down d touch 2 nu NWs with d older team get a nu title (uhm...WARRIOR DEFENDERS...or bcum d NW DEFENDERS...or hv d W.A.R.R.I.O.R.S as an acronym 4 sumthing)

If Night Thrasher had returned, Justice wouldn't have risen to the position he has now as leader. I get that some people wanted 'Night Thrasher and his Amazing Friends' rather than what we've been lucky to have so far.
    NT is wat Cap is 2 d core Avngrs

NT is wat Robin is 2 d TT

D NW will nvr feel complete without NT....he doesnt always hv 2 b d leadr which has also happnd 2 Cap but he has 2 b very influential tactically while maintaining dat thin tolerable but not overbearing veil of mystery.

Hving said dat NT shd b leading any NW team bcuz der has always bn only 1 NW team unlyk d various teams streaming out of d Avngrs or Xmen.

Apples and Oranges, I suppose...
    Yeah, probably!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    In the 'old days' the New Warriors did quite well for sales. It was never a top 10 comic, but the first run did have 75 uissues.

All later volumes stoped reay quick and lasted (mostly) not even one year.

I did like the first team a lot. But also liked the Counter Force team (which didn't get a series)

What do you think a New Warriors series requires to make it a succes. But without raising the dead ones?

I believe Justice is a requirement, but also a few oldies who are interesting like Ultra Girl, Debrii and Silhouette (she's a must for me), combined with some of the Counterforce squad.I loved Gauntlet and think he would be great and the one surviving Scarlet Spider (MVP-clone).

Added with one or two popular youngsters, like one of the gratuated kids of Xaviers (Anole and/or Rockslide) and a hothead like Speed (YA).

That would make me wanna buy it
    You need the original lineup, or as close to that as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoahe22 View Post
    Justice
    Firestar
    Nova (Richard Rider)
    Night Thrasher
    Darkhawk
    Speedball
    Scarlet Spider
    Namorita
    Silhouette
    Gravity
    Rage
    I'd just add Turbo to this list and it'd be, IMHO, perfect.

Peace

Well I'm already buy the book and will continue too buy and promote it. Also what's up with the hate on Justice in the current run? Personally I'm liking him here. Particularly when he Told the Avengers they can keep the card. I am glad I'm not the only one who noticed the Avengers and X-men clout.

Astonishing Member

What I want out of a New Warriors book that had to use the old cast would be about being in the middle of your adulthood. That state after college when you thought you were going be t he next Bill Gate, but just ended up another average joe. I think a series that captured that feeling would be an interesteing read especially when you add the fact that all of these guys have powers that we could only dream of, and they ended up just run of the mill super people.I like to see something that focused more on their personal lives and how their goals may have changed. Basically I dont want just another super team book.

how about the original team back and fighting the war on drugs. also please get rid of the inhuman, he added nothing to the book and took away from the overall enjoyment. get angelica back with the core team.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    You need the original lineup, or as close to that as you can get.
    I agree. I know that there is no way Marvel would let Rich be used as long as Sam is around, and now that Firestar has been consumed by the x-editors she is more than likely off the board also (except for maybe guest apperances). That still leaves you alot. Water Snake made no sense when Namorita was there to be used, and if no one care enough about the Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird to keep that book going why did they think people would care in the New Warriors.

I still think this lineup stands the best chance:

Justice, Speedball, Namorita, Turbo, Night Thrasher (Donyell), Nova (Sam), Ultra Girl, Scarlet Spider (Michael Van Patrick)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I agree. I know that there is no way Marvel would let Rich be used as long as Sam is around, and now that Firestar has been consumed by the x-editors she is more than likely off the board also (except for maybe guest apperances). That still leaves you alot. Water Snake made no sense when Namorita was there to be used, and if no one care enough about the Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird to keep that book going why did they think people would care in the New Warriors.

I still think this lineup stands the best chance:

Justice, Speedball, Namorita, Turbo, Night Thrasher (Donyell), Nova (Sam), Ultra Girl, Scarlet Spider (Michael Van Patrick)
    As far as Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird are concerned, wanting them to continue was the reason that this run of New Warriors has happened (in a Marvel podcast IIRC) so I'm not sure that rings true. Sales numbers of Scarlet Spider weren't particularly bad at the end (December 2013), and like it or not was selling better than New Warriors is now.

If New Warriors had carried on, I suspect Firestar would have featured given that Chris Yost is now writing an X-Men title. Hopefully we will have chance before the run finishes to see what the deal is with Water Snake.

For me, the lineup would have been better/tighter with six or so characters but that's all I can say. I'm pretty happy with the title we got, it's had a real retro vibe to it and it's a shame that others didn't give it a chance.

Making an interesting story with interesting characters. Less movie and/or PC-driven agenda that infects most Marvel titles these days.

New Warriors is New Warriors...it is not some generic motif to plug in teen heroes of the day and hope they are relevant. It will not work if you just throw out a half assed product and let it flounder.

I hear a lot of "Id like New Warriors if they had Skaar" Or "Id like new warriors if they had Chase or Nico" ...this concept does not work for launch IMO...your not going to please or gain readers by altering the original New Warriors roster. For every Hummingbird you add, you make someone mad who pines to see Ultra Girl or Night Thrasher. Of course the exception here is someone undeniably popular, likey SPidey..but even that doesn't always work. Avoid the "New Warriors in name only" feeling from the teams. Give us the original roster.

-Use the original roster, the only team that ever really worked. (I'd argue Darkhawk and Rage fit here as well) book has been struggling for hooks all this time its never thought to just bring that back.
    -Don't make it a zany teen book. Honestly these nearly all fail these days..marvel just overestimates the demand for them and does not know how to do them. Don't make the New Warriors "just another dart" in a spam effort to throw as many teen books out there and see what sticks...I think this was the case with this last series.
    -Uplift this new team by giving them a big showing in a big event (Marvel deconstructed this team in front of everyone and it still has not recovered, it USED New Warriors as an example of immature bumblers and stumblers which permanently stigmatized them.. this needs to be fixed-and it needs to be fixed in front of everyone)
    -DO not play up the concept of bumblers and stumblers..make them competent.
    -Have a epic mini series that sorts out New Warriors going forward...the inactive roster of inactive marvel characters is massive...I think this should be something more akin to "New Warriors Forever or Beyond" than "Avengers Arena"
    -Put top notch creative talent on the book
    -Have creative and kick ass covers
    -Make the team relevant in the marvel universe.. that means someone like Bendis, Hickman, or Remender is going to have to acknowledge they exist and give them some good page time..uplift and acknowledge.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 09-05-2014 at 04:05 AM.

First I'd edit the title.
    Replace "new" with "Avengers" and replace "Warriors" with "Academy".

Then I'd shake up the cast a bit.
    I'd exchange Nova, Speedball and Scarlet Spider for Hulkling, Wiccan and Prodigy.
    Additionally I'd swap out Sungirl and Water Snake for Finesse and Kate Bishop.
    Might as well trade Haechi and Hummingbird for Reptil and Victor Mancha while we're at it.

I kid.
    I kid.
    Obviously I know the pain of having a title conclude and the yearn to see favorite characters flourish.

My deepest sympathies New Warriors fans. Here's hoping we'll see your favorites cameo all over the place until their series returns.