Default You vs Your Elden Ring Character

You can arm yourself with anything your home you can carry. Your opponent is limited to FromSoftware's in-game mechanics. Their HUD is visible to you. Can you take them down?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

As I've never played Elden Ring, I guess I win by default!

But from what I understand it's a Dark-Souls style "guy with a sword running around and fighting monsters in real-time with real-space capacity for dodging. They wouldn't like when I busted out a screen-filling Ultima or some other auto-target 100% accuracy TBRPG tricks.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

My first character is an endgame heavy tank beast with two katana and two great axes and three 10th level summons, including the mimic. She folds me up pretty easily.

My current character is a much more fragile pure mage so I might be able to close distance and get the drop on him but he does have a dagger and a rapier to my nothing.

I likely die.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    As I've never played Elden Ring, I guess I win by default!

But from what I understand it's a Dark-Souls style "guy with a sword running around and fighting monsters in real-time with real-space capacity for dodging. They wouldn't like when I busted out a screen-filling Ultima or some other auto-target 100% accuracy TBRPG tricks.
    True, but if they have a good magic-damage-negation shield equipped, they might tank it. Plus, game mechanics give them I frames when dodge-rolling—not sure if that helps here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    My first character is an endgame heavy tank beast with two katana and two great axes and three 10th level summons, including the mimic. She folds me up pretty easily.

My current character is a much more fragile pure mage so I might be able to close distance and get the drop on him but he does have a dagger and a rapier to my nothing.

I likely die.
    Nothing? Not even a kitchen knife?

My spellsword would be very dangerous; but me not being limited to game mechanics should help me stay behind his slow-turning, semi-predictable moveset. The problem is his vitality. It's going to take a long time to whittle away at someone who gets stepped on by giants for a living without ever once stumbling into his hitbox.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot he has Glintblade Phalanx memorized. Nah, I'm done.
    Last edited by Morning; 05-27-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Hmm

3 Characters to fight.

First Playthrough: Dex/Strength mix wearing heavy armor with Lionel's Set and Fire Monk Set mix. Carries around both a great big mallet and dual daggers. I don't have any weapons. Very unlikely.

Second Playthrough: Spellblade setup. High enough Int to cast spells, high enough strength and dex to carry around some decent swords/daggers. Has protection via any glintblade spells I have and Carian spells for close up even without normal weapons. Again, no weapons really at home so I get killed at range or she swaps when i get close and destroys me there. Also she does have some leather armor and used a large rapier and shield set to handle a certain M boss. No way for me.

Third Playthrough: Big strength build with some faith. Lightning bolts from afar, colossal sword when you get closer, AOE ashes of war attached, I'm dead.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Ummm, I turn off the computer and win instantly? Oh, the advantage of being flesh and blood.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Ummm, I turn off the computer and win instantly? Oh, the advantage of being flesh and blood.
    Ridiculous, only The Watcher can do this
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I played Elden Ring for like thirty seconds before I decided I didn't like the way movement felt in it, and I'm pretty sure I'm better with a sword than anything I saw my character do
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Extraordinary Member

I've started relatively recently and I'm going at a little weird pace (my character is level 50 and I only just now entered Stormveil castle) but I'm rather certain that my character would kill me quite easily.

She's got two katanas (one of which is capable of magical super strikes) and can summon up three wolves to help her out (she can summon other things but I usually go for the wolves). And the magic strikes would definitely one shot me.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

As of last night, my mage character can now summon a meteor shower so... that's not helping.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I suppose a sufficiently skilled hand to hand combatant could use the limited moveset of the character to their advantage, but you would have a very small margin of error. Depending on the characters poise I'm not sure we could stagger them either.

Now if we really want to use game mechanics against them, grab attacks are basically unblockable in these games, and don't let you escape until the monster has completed whatever multi-hit attack or suplex power bomb it wants to do. So maybe a sufficiently skilled grappler who can avoid the initial strike (not easy given the reach of many builds, but it isn't like the characters swing faster than the eye an see) can dash in and clinch for the win.