Amazing Member

Default Crossed: should I read it?

hi, i think it belongs to here cuz crossed is Avatar's series

any way... i saw in comixology a series called Crossed (badlands that is the one i saw) and the coves are amazing but what about the story?
    should i read it?
    if anyone here read this and would like to recommend i'm here to listen

Spectacular Member

Depends on whether you like generally pointless, graphic nihilism. I was unimpressed (but Ennis doesn't impress me much in general); there's not anything good to find in it although it's competently done. Just my thoughts though.

Amazing Member

ok... ty for your honest responce
    some more opinions pliz

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

The Crossed series is about people trying to survive in a world where a virus has turned most of humanity into the Crossed. What sets the Crossed apart from zombies is that they retain human intelligence and speech, and possess a very sadistic streak - leading to the graphic displays of violence and gore that has made the series notorious.

There is no overarching story - the Crossed arcs all focus on different characters, and the creative team varies from story to story.

The best I've read from the Crossed series was the webcomic, which you can check out here. You should probably give it a shot, see if you like it, and if so, you'd probably enjoy the other Crossed books as well.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 09-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    The Crossed series is about people trying to survive in a world where a virus has turned most of humanity into the Crossed. What sets the Crossed apart from zombies is that they retain human intelligence and speech, and possess a very sadistic streak - leading to the graphic displays of violence and gore that has made the series notorious.

There is no overarching story - the Crossed arcs all focus on different characters, and the creative team varies from story to story.

The best I've read from the Crossed series was the webcomic, which you can check out here. You should probably give it a shot, see if you like it, and if so, you'd probably enjoy the other Crossed books as well.
    ty i tried to read a bit (5-6 episodes i read) and i don't understand the story lol
    i know what is the crossed thing you said but the charcters jumping all the time is confusing

Amazing Member

There were 3 mini-series before Badlands, which is an ongoing anthology title. So if you really wanted to read Crossed, and get the best story, read the very first mini-series written by Garth Ennis.

After the mini-series they started Badlands. It has had returning characters but in general the stories haven't been very good. Too much focus on the graphic violence instead of a really good story. I've been debating dropping it for months now but I'm still reading it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    There were 3 mini-series before Badlands, which is an ongoing anthology title. So if you really wanted to read Crossed, and get the best story, read the very first mini-series written by Garth Ennis.

After the mini-series they started Badlands. It has had returning characters but in general the stories haven't been very good. Too much focus on the graphic violence instead of a really good story. I've been debating dropping it for months now but I'm still reading it.
    yeah i saw that the art is good in my opnion but nothing is going on with the story! shame on that
    any way ty so i won't read it... so i've leared that never judge a book by it's amazing art lol

I love Garth Ennis' writing so tried the first TPB and found it too much for me.... Not that it was badly done but imagine if you made 28 Days Later without worrying about any sort of censoring you would get the general idea of how powerful, suspenseful and shocking.

Astonishing Member

Recently started reading Badlands and I find it redundant. The first mini was OK, Family Values was a fun read, Psycho was interesting and 3D was also fun to read but it's getting repetitive now. I'm at Badlands #20 and all the stories are basically the same: groups of people try to escape the crossed but eventually end up losing. Does it get better?