Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Guess that could fit in-between the end of Clone Wars and her novel which explains her early involvement in the Rebellion.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Today's the premiere of the first season.

Well, we now have an answer for why Yaddle didn't show up on Naboo in TPM at the end...

A few notes

-It's half Dooku and half Ashoka.

-First episode is a quiet story involving baby Ashoka, a tiger-like creature and how her tribe figures out she's force sensitive (It's implied the elder is too, but somehow was passed over by the Republic).

-Liam and Ian are back to reprise their characters, although Liam's son plays the younger Qui-Gon. Dooku is of course, Corey Burton. His younger version of Dooku has a bit of Alan Rickman/Snape to him.

-Dooku's arc pretty much shows how he gets disillusioned with the Republic, and then the final episode (set during TPM) how he seals the Sith deal. There's some mirrors of his fight with Yoda here, as well as how he finally falls is similar to his own death.

-There's a quick cameo of Depa Bilaba and presumably Caleb/Kanan.

-Raxus Secondus is later the capital of the Confederacy. "Choices" also reveals the events which led Mace Windu to become a council member, and why Dooku didn't.

-The second Ashoka episode is pretty cool in that it shows the designs of the earlier Clone Wars seasons but using more modern animation/modeling.

-Not sure if the last one conflicts with the Ashoka YA novel. Also has the bittersweet trope that it seems that these refugees will probably wind up on Alderaan.

Overall it's a cool treat for Clone Wars/Rebels/Bad Batch fans and also finally gives more background to Dooku's past in Disney continuity.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-26-2022 at 02:18 PM.

"Life and Death"

Nice to see some more Togruta culture. I thought the episode might have them speaking their native language the whole episode but I guess shifting to Basic was easier from a writing perspective.

We got other Plo Koon cameos but it was weird not seeing him at the end there picking Ahsoka up.

A baby riding a giant tiger. Can't beat that visual.

"Justice"

Ah, a classic Dooku/Qui-Gon adventure!

It's funny how Dooku kind of mirrors Anakin in a way. Unconventional Jedi with a moral code who has to be restrained to an extent by their Padawn and has a Master that ultimately wasn't able to steer him on the right path, and ended up serving as Palptaine's #2.

Liam's own son playing young Qui-Gon is cute.

Oh hey, Josh Keaton! Although he seemed to be going along with it so willingly I'm surprised they even bothered cuffing him.

I don't think I've ever seen a Light Side Jedi do a Force Choke. That's always the warning sign.

I was expecting that Droid to do more.

"Choices"

Pretty well emphasizes Dooku's dissension with the Jedi Order to where he sees where they're ability to enforce justice and peace in the galaxy has eroded thanks to Senate politics to the point where people just don't have faith in them any more, and feels the council doesn't have any faith in him when they appoint Mace to the council instead of him.

Oh yeah, isn't this the same place the Bad Batch went to?

Gotta love two master Jedi wrecking Droids and killers.

"The Sith Lord"

This story definitely managed to fit in some major moments in Dooku's history that weren't in his Audio Drama. Specifically his last temptation and ultimate birth as Darth Tyranus.

Holy crud, a full, living breathing, CG Qui-Gon! And we got to see the last time he and Dooku met before his death and how hard Dooku took it!

I like how Bryce Dallas Howard was able to embody Yaddle without trying to emulate Yoda yet still not being just Bryce Dallas Howard. Also I guess Yoda talking like that is just his own thing and has nothing to do with his mysterious race. Yet both he and Yaddle had green lightsabers...

I also liked seeing Sidious in the flesh and how you can really see his eyes here, and how they shift from Palpatine's normal eyes to the yellow eyes of a true Sith.

Yaddle with that one final flex of the power of the Light Side of the Force versus the Dark...even if it didn't save her in the end.

"Practice makes Perfect"

Whatever you can say about Anakin, it turns out his unconentional training of Ahsoka helped her survive Order 66.

Nice to see some interim looks like Ahsoka's design and Obi-Wan's mullet.

Anakin knows a good burn when he reuses it himself.

I honestly expected this story to explain why Ahsoka upgraded to dual-wielding because it made her easier to dodge Clone fire.

"Resolve"

Of course Ahsoka would be at Padme's funeral. Also, Clone Wars Mon Mothma!

It's nice to hear Phil LaMarr as Bail again. The two Clone Troopers confused by his speech elicited a chuckle.

I feel like this was a...very abridged take on the Ahsoka novel? I think maybe the characters from it were actually here? Although it's been so long since I've read it. I think Ahsoka actually had her lightsabers back by the time she fought the Inquisitor and there was more going on, but when has Filoni ever really adhered all that much to non-cartoon/movie canon?

That has to be the most condescending "May the Force Be With You" I have ever heard. And then the guy ends up getting his entire village burned and killed. He practically deserved to get run through, but now he has to live with what he did. Up to the point where Alderaan gets blown up I guess.

I think I have my new favorite Inquisitor design, which makes it too bad that he got killed so unceremoniously. They don't even give him an Inquisitor number, he's just a generic Inquisitor. Felt like a waste. Also, that was Clancy Brown? Wow.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Choices"

Pretty well emphasizes Dooku's dissension with the Jedi Order to where he sees where they're ability to enforce justice and peace in the galaxy has eroded thanks to Senate politics to the point where people just don't have faith in them any more, and feels the council doesn't have any faith in him when they appoint Mace to the council instead of him.
    I don't agree with your final sentence there. It isn't that he feels the Council doesn't have faith in him, it's that he is now convinced the Council is JUST AS CORRUPT as the Senate. Mace is the rule following yes man, who had already been chosen to the appointment to replace the dead Jedi before even leaving on the mission, and who didn't care even the slightest about how or why she died. Windu would have been perfectly happy to just grab the corpse and go, and the truth of what happened would have been forever a mystery. Dooku concludes, erroneously but to his horror, that Windu and the Council would rather have their privileged place in the Republic than care about what ended the life of an individual Jedi Master. That Windu even being on the mission was intended to deflect Dooku from his instincts to investigate and to attempt to cover up the truth. Dooku's reaction in that final beat isn't one of disappointment or of realizing he's an outsider, it's a sense of having been betrayed by the very people he is supposed to be following.

This both balances well with the Dooku: Jedi Lost audio, the last portion of which takes place AFTER this short when Dooku has himself been appointed to the Council as well. Only to discover that they won't lift a finger to help his homeworld when his brother misuses his power as the planet's ruler and lets pirates basically take over the entire planet. It just further proves to Dooku that the Council don't care about regular people or Jedi, and are just an institutionalized elite more interested in protecting their own interests. And is why he ultimately leaves the Order to go his own way as Count of Serenno.

And that same response is then echoed in the final Dooku short, when Qui-Gon dies after the Council basically ignores his claims of having encountered the Sith. Amplified, and complicated, somewhat by the fact that Dooku knows for a fact that Qui-Gon was right (and telling the truth) and Dooku's own complicity in the Sith's scheme. His disappointment and anger with the Council, which he harnesses when he turns on Yaddle, are all born of that sense that the Council abandoned Qui-Gon because he was inconvenient or unimportant. As well as his own guilt for his role, which he buries by projecting blame. Remember that Dooku has already ordered murder on Palpatine's behalf by this point (Sifo-Dyas). But he refuses to see his own responsibility when it can be blamed on the nefarious forces he is certain are arrayed against him in the Council and the Senate.

The irony and tragedy of Dooku are really played well here. He is a man of true conviction and heartfelt ideals. He sees real and meaningful corruption and his response is to fight against it, as one should. But his arrogance and pride lead him to read situations in ways that aren't completely true (like seeing malice and corruption in the Jedi Council, rather than just the genuine disconnect that has developed between the Council and the galaxy at large) and isolate him in his belief that too few are wise enough to see what he sees and fewer still strong enough to resist the tide. Feeling alone and yet convinced that action is required, he ends up turning to the most corrupting influence of them all in an attempt to somehow right the Republic and ends up losing himself in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I don't agree with your final sentence there. It isn't that he feels the Council doesn't have faith in him, it's that he is now convinced the Council is JUST AS CORRUPT as the Senate. Mace is the rule following yes man, who had already been chosen to the appointment to replace the dead Jedi before even leaving on the mission, and who didn't care even the slightest about how or why she died. Windu would have been perfectly happy to just grab the corpse and go, and the truth of what happened would have been forever a mystery. Dooku concludes, erroneously but to his horror, that Windu and the Council would rather have their privileged place in the Republic than care about what ended the life of an individual Jedi Master. That Windu even being on the mission was intended to deflect Dooku from his instincts to investigate and to attempt to cover up the truth. Dooku's reaction in that final beat isn't one of disappointment or of realizing he's an outsider, it's a sense of having been betrayed by the very people he is supposed to be following.

This both balances well with the Dooku: Jedi Lost audio, the last portion of which takes place AFTER this short when Dooku has himself been appointed to the Council as well. Only to discover that they won't lift a finger to help his homeworld when his brother misuses his power as the planet's ruler and lets pirates basically take over the entire planet. It just further proves to Dooku that the Council don't care about regular people or Jedi, and are just an institutionalized elite more interested in protecting their own interests. And is why he ultimately leaves the Order to go his own way as Count of Serenno.

And that same response is then echoed in the final Dooku short, when Qui-Gon dies after the Council basically ignores his claims of having encountered the Sith. Amplified, and complicated, somewhat by the fact that Dooku knows for a fact that Qui-Gon was right (and telling the truth) and Dooku's own complicity in the Sith's scheme. His disappointment and anger with the Council, which he harnesses when he turns on Yaddle, are all born of that sense that the Council abandoned Qui-Gon because he was inconvenient or unimportant. As well as his own guilt for his role, which he buries by projecting blame. Remember that Dooku has already ordered murder on Palpatine's behalf by this point (Sifo-Dyas). But he refuses to see his own responsibility when it can be blamed on the nefarious forces he is certain are arrayed against him in the Council and the Senate.

The irony and tragedy of Dooku are really played well here. He is a man of true conviction and heartfelt ideals. He sees real and meaningful corruption and his response is to fight against it, as one should. But his arrogance and pride lead him to read situations in ways that aren't completely true (like seeing malice and corruption in the Jedi Council, rather than just the genuine disconnect that has developed between the Council and the galaxy at large) and isolate him in his belief that too few are wise enough to see what he sees and fewer still strong enough to resist the tide. Feeling alone and yet convinced that action is required, he ends up turning to the most corrupting influence of them all in an attempt to somehow right the Republic and ends up losing himself in the process.
    I didn't mean faith in him as a person so much as just not enough faith in his ideas or MO that he felt he could bring to the table to the council and that would benefit the council as a whole so they ended up picking the more traditional choice.

Regarding the force choke, Luke uses it on the Gammorean Guards in ROTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Practice makes Perfect"
    Whatever you can say about Anakin, it turns out his unconentional training of Ahsoka helped her survive Order 66.

I honestly expected this story to explain why Ahsoka upgraded to dual-wielding because it made her easier to dodge Clone fire.
    I admit it got me in the feels a bit seeing that Anakin helped save her from Order 66.
    And I was totally expecting her to force-grab Anakin's light saber and go dual-sabers on the troopers in that last session with Anakin.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Regarding the force choke, Luke uses it on the Gammorean Guards in ROTJ.
    Good point. And that lead to the reveal of "all-black" Luke where we were supposed to wonder if he was slipping into the Dark Side a bit.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I know they've played a lot on Western tropes in other shows, but I loved the imagery of Dooku and Qui-Gon walking into town and everybody closing up their doors as soon as they see them. And the bar scene where Dooku just claps his iron on the bar to declare his intentions? Classic.

It was short and sweet but so much fun.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It kind of hit me when Jesse was the first one to tag Ahsoka and actually apologized for it .

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I admit it got me in the feels a bit seeing that Anakin helped save her from Order 66.
    And I was totally expecting her to force-grab Anakin's light saber and go dual-sabers on the troopers in that last session with Anakin.

Good point. And that lead to the reveal of "all-black" Luke where we were supposed to wonder if he was slipping into the Dark Side a bit.
    The most recent SW comics issue (They're starting to head toward ROTJ) seems to imply he might've based the look on the black Imperial uniform.

Niffleheim

Filoni is really villainizing Mace Windu as the scapegoat to color the one dimensional stories he's telling. Now Mace has to contend with the blame of pushing Anakin to darkness, the blame of his "rudeness" to Ahsoka was the cause to why she didn't inform the council about what Maul revealed to her about Anakin being Sidious' apprentice and now Mace's following the rules is being used as the final push for Dooku to go all dark when Mace was given a seat in the council instead of him.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Filoni is really villainizing Mace Windu as the scapegoat to color the one dimensional stories he's telling. Now Mace has to contend with the blame of pushing Anakin to darkness, the blame of his "rudeness" to Ahsoka was the cause to why she didn't inform the council about what Maul revealed to her about Anakin being Sidious' apprentice and now Mace's following the rules is being used as the final push for Dooku to go all dark when Mace was given a seat in the council instead of him.
    I think Mace was a big example of the systemic issues with the Jedi Order at the time but I think in this case part of it was just a smidge bit of Dooku projecting his own issues with the council. I mean, same with Anakin already having tons of issues with the council.

If you take a look at Dooku: Jedi Lost, a lot happened to Dooku to disillusion him with the Jedi at the time.

Although he really did not handle the Ahsoka thing well.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    He was shown to be dogmatic in the films so it's just an extension of that characterization. In a lot of ways he's just a stand in for the ills of the Council at large, which is a valid storytelling technique. Sure, they could spread it out and show how each member of the council outside of Yoda and later Obi-Wan are too rigid and show individual actions that lead to the people of the galaxy seeing the Jedi as ineffectual at best and self-serving and corrupt at worst but it's more concise to use a single character and have them stand for the larger body.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!