Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colossus Appreciation 2022

Well, apprectiation as much as as much as the editorial will allow Peter/Piotr, but I digress...

Welp, he is on the council. Cool.

Great. He also has the beard. He also is under control by his brother, with the help of some fella who writes what action Peter does.

The writing fella who works with his older brother Mikhail has him murder his new girlfriend, then uses his superstrength to dig her grave and puts her corpse in the ground, then uses his superstrength to fill in the grave of his girfriend who he met in the Savage Land.

So, Peter (or Piotr, depening if you read Waren's Excalibur, and did not read Claremont's Uncanny) then gets a visit from Professor Xavier.

Colossus joins. Sinister calls him a potato farmer (it was wheat).

Any true fans of Colossus should be concerned. But we always are. This time does not look good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipitus View Post
    Well, apprectiation as much as as much as the editorial will allow Peter/Piotr, but I digress...

Welp, he is on the council. Cool.

Great. He also has the beard. He also is under control by his brother, with the help of some fella who writes what action Peter does.

The writing fella who works with his older brother Mikhail has him murder his new girlfriend, then uses his superstrength to dig her grave and puts her corpse in the ground, then uses his superstrength to fill in the grave of his girfriend who he met in the Savage Land.

So, Peter (or Piotr, depening if you read Waren's Excalibur, and did not read Claremont's Uncanny) then gets a visit from Professor Xavier.

Colossus joins. Sinister calls him a potato farmer (it was wheat).

Any true fans of Colossus should be concerned. But we always are. This time does not look good.

We need to see his dark side come out and for him to be ruthless.

He has repeatedly tried to be the good guy and just ends up a punching bag.

Gillen done well by him on his first run, hopefully he can expand on that and bring him front and centre with strong storylines and good characterisation.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    We need to see his dark side come out and for him to be ruthless.

He has repeatedly tried to be the good guy and just ends up a punching bag.

Gillen done well by him on his first run, hopefully he can expand on that and bring him front and centre with strong storylines and good characterisation.
    Agreed on the Gillen part, that was the last time Colossus was truly interesting to me. Before that, it was when he betrayed the X-Men and joined Magneto and Exodus on Avalon, but still tried to reform the Acolytes from the inside. So I'm very much welcoming his new status quo as Quiet Council member/Mikhail's pawn as I think Piotr is at his best when he dips his toes into the dark side.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

To me, ultimately, he is a sensitive and kind person. It's comics so he can go through some insane harrowing journeys, but I think being true to his sweet nature is what rings true. And selfless heroic stuff of course.

It depends on the writer, alas.

Turns out the guy is a jerk, but Whedon really hit the nail on the character of Colossus. He obviously had PTSD being in the lab/torture chamber while all his friends and family thought he was dead. When he came back, it took a little while, but Peter made his way back. It is dated, but when he asked who the Hilton sisters were, Beast gave a very cool reply.

Brubaker wrote him well. There was that odd story when he got a weird tattoo on his chest, but anyway, moving forward...

Then **** got weird. Magneto brought Kitty back, the couple could not touch, and enter Bendis and Aaron.

And later Jordan W White. Colossus never stood a chance of how he was written under Claremont, Whedon, or Brubaker.

But hell, he has the beard. Sucks for fans of the character.

Sinister calls him a potato farmer (it was wheat).

Sorry but this cracked me up.
    Hopefully Peter will have some significant role in Immortal X-Men.
    Last edited by Vulcansfire; 06-10-2022 at 05:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

I for one wish he got an upgrade ,as in we know he changes his skin to metal ,but I always thought what if it was just instinctive and the easiest thing he could think of at the start but with more practice or concentration he realises he can transmute his body into anything in the periodic table(and any state solid/liquid/gas..even plasma) would be an X-verse version of Metamorpho

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I for one wish he got an upgrade ,as in we know he changes his skin to metal ,but I always thought what if it was just instinctive and the easiest thing he could think of at the start but with more practice or concentration he realises he can transmute his body into anything in the periodic table(and any state solid/liquid/gas..even plasma) would be an X-verse version of Metamorpho
    No thanks.

He has suffered enough.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm curious, is Piotr the only major X-Man who's never led a team/book before? I believe only Iceman hasn't, but at least he had an ongoing book.

Astonishing Member

Anyone felt its a missed opportunity of Steve Rogers and Piotr Rasputin forming a bond friendship over their love for art and drawing. It would be progressived during the 80s Cold War. something I can see Claremont doing or maybe in the current times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Anyone felt its a missed opportunity of Steve Rogers and Piotr Rasputin forming a bond friendship over their love for art and drawing. It would be progressived during the 80s Cold War. something I can see Claremont doing or maybe in the current times.
    They were buddies during Kulan Gath's brief time taking over NYC back in the 180's issues of Uncanny. Not to the level of friendship you mentioned above (which I think is a great idea), but they were a cool combo.

A few years earlier in Secret Wars, Cap mos def respected Peter as he healed. Little known fact, Colossus was the youngest hero in Secret Wars. Also, in Hickman's Secret Wars, he gave the Hulk a fastball special early in the first issue into the Ultimate Universe's base. Also, which is interesting, the first panel of House of X had Colossus picking the flower that made Krakoa.

JDW put a stop to anything Colossus right away. So now he is a mind-controlled bad guy on the Council who killed his new girlfriend and buried her.

Go figure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipitus View Post
    They were buddies during Kulan Gath's brief time taking over NYC back in the 180's issues of Uncanny. Not to the level of friendship you mentioned above (which I think is a great idea), but they were a cool combo.

A few years earlier in Secret Wars, Cap mos def respected Peter as he healed. Little known fact, Colossus was the youngest hero in Secret Wars. Also, in Hickman's Secret Wars, he gave the Hulk a fastball special early in the first issue into the Ultimate Universe's base. Also, which is interesting, the first panel of House of X had Colossus picking the flower that made Krakoa.

JDW put a stop to anything Colossus right away. So now he is a mind-controlled bad guy on the Council who killed his new girlfriend and buried her.

Go figure.
    Who was Peter's new girlfriend and in what title and issue can I find her?
    Last edited by Micabe; 06-20-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Who was Peter's new girlfriend and in what title and issue can I find her?
    Kayla

Purple

Turned up in X-Force #11

Didn’t like Beast

Killed X-Force #24

Oh and she had some kind of water-based power.

I have a feeling, despite that every issue is supposed to feature a member of the council, it will remain a Mr. sinister series, and the Colossus issue will be doing something villainous/evil. All due respect to KG, but he does not have much to work with besides "secret evil Peter", and editorial wanting to make him the ultimate traitor.

Maybe attack Kate? Maybe have Kayla rise from her grave to attack Colossus while he sits on the council? Then let the Mikael Rasputin plotline go away, ignored and forgotten, and move on? And Colossus is off in some cell or just ignored?

Welp, at least he has the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Not just his skin. His entire body is transformed into organic steel.