Dr. Fate
    Flash
    Hawkman
    Wildcat
    Black Canary
    Atom
    Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The All-Star Squadron was a super-group formed at the request of President Roosevelt so that EVERY SINGLE "MYSTERY MAN" IN THE USA could work together in cooperation during the war.

The All-Star Squadron included all the members of the JSA as well as all the members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, etc. So the JSA was only a portion of the All-Star Squadron.

Saying the All-Star Squadron is "a variation on the JSA" is like saying all DC comic books are a "variation" of Batman.
    I know how it was formed. But come on, that's so pedantic. When people mention Squadron characters as members of the Society, it's because they think of the "Justice Society" as being "that team of 1940s super-heroes who fought Nazis and ****," and the All-Star Squadron is undeniably one of those... so it's a variation on the JSA.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I know how it was formed. But come on, that's so pedantic. When people mention Squadron characters as members of the Society, it's because they think of the "Justice Society" as being "that team of 1940s super-heroes who fought Nazis and ****," and the All-Star Squadron is undeniably one of those... so it's a variation on the JSA.
    I'm pretty sure that casting the discussion of canonical membership in super-hero groups on a comic book message board as mere "pedantry" is a paddlin' offense

But seriously, as these things go, it's kind of an important distinction.
    - The JSA started before America got involved in WWII, and lasted past the war into the 50's. The A*S was strictly a wartime group.
    - The JSA's membership before the first JLA/JSA team-up never rose above about a dozen members. The A*S's membership regularly topped 50 members. It was, basically, EVERYONE.

They're pretty danged different.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    But, if a hamburger is one type of beef, isn't that like saying all beef is a variation on hamburger?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, if a hamburger is one type of beef, isn't that like saying all beef is a variation on hamburger?
    Like I said, I think the casual usage of "Justice Society" that people say when they mix up the Squadron with the Society, just means "DC Comics' 1940s era Super-Team".

So more like if I said "beef" when referring to a hamburger, and you said, "that's not beef, it's a hamburger."
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

All-New Member

So, not directly responsive to the question but I always thought it would have been cool if the National Comics members who were booted from the JSA when there was a dispute with All-American formed their own spin-off group. Kind of odd it didn't happen given the popularity of the JSA magazine (maybe they figured the Seven Soldiers of Victory was sufficient?)

In addition to the former JSA'ers (Hourman, Dr. Fate, Sandman, Spectre, Starman), I'd propose the Kirby & Simon Manhunter and (cheating here) an Earth-2 conterpart to "Mera" in lieu of Aquaman (you need at least one female member . . .). I'd keep Superman and Batman in the wings on "reserve status."

Now, the only question is what would they be called?

Extraordinary Member

I retroactively wish the Spectre wasn’t in the 1940s JSA.
    Obviously because the modern take of the Spectre since the Bronze Age is that he’s so beyond the JSA.