All-New Member

Default Popular And/Or Acclaimed Titles & Talents You "Just Don't Get"

Have you ever read any significantly celebrated comic book titles or particular runs (be it contemporary or classic) that you found no enjoyment in and can't figure out what others saw that you didn't?

I sincerely loathe Watchmen and it's such a boring slog I had to force myself to power through and finish it.

What about any highly regarded creators who draw heavy praise from a large portion of the community while their contributions to a book usually means you'll be disappointed or just skip it entirely?

First one that springs to mind is Chris Bachalo. He's quite revered for his time on X-Men in particular, and I absolutely can't stand anything he's ever drawn, which is extra wack because he's had the pencil on quite a few runs that I've really enjoyed otherwise. Nonetheless, seeing his name or that of artists similar to his style (Humberto Ramos primarily) is a huge dip in my level of enthusiasm.

As I was typing up this post I had quite few personal examples of each question, and now I'm drawing a complete bank lol. i'll put some more thought into this and return with more answers. In the meantime let's see what you all have to add!

Pretty much anything written by Grant Morrison other than JLA, Batman: Arkham Asylum A Serious House on Serious Earth, and All-Star Superman, I find a hard time getting into. Mark Millar I get the lizard brain enjoyment of his creator owned work but it's just often got a level of "shock value" to his work and his whole "shock jock" attitude and persona but once you're over that most of his stuff is just average at best and pretty much the same with Garth Ennis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneManRiot View Post
    Have you ever read any significantly celebrated comic book titles or particular runs (be it contemporary or classic) that you found no enjoyment in and can't figure out what others saw that you didn't?

I sincerely loathe Watchmen and it's such a boring slog I had to force myself to power through and finish it.

What about any highly regarded creators who draw heavy praise from a large portion of the community while their contributions to a book usually means you'll be disappointed or just skip it entirely?

First one that springs to mind is Chris Bachalo. He's quite revered for his time on X-Men in particular, and I absolutely can't stand anything he's ever drawn, which is extra wack because he's had the pencil on quite a few runs that I've really enjoyed otherwise. Nonetheless, seeing his name or that of artists similar to his style (Humberto Ramos primarily) is a huge dip in my level of enthusiasm.

As I was typing up this post I had quite few personal examples of each question, and now I'm drawing a complete bank lol. i'll put some more thought into this and return with more answers. In the meantime let's see what you all have to add!
    Tom King as a whole- I don't quite get the appeal of Woman of Tomarrow outside of the art

Brian Michael Bendis and Gail Simone.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Extraordinary Member

While I loved Morrison's JLA and All-Star Superman, I absolutely loathed his X-Men and feel his Batman run did more bad than good. I also for the most part hate everything Geoff Johns has ever done. The guy's main approach to everything is to lean heavily into pre-'90s nostalgia while adding decapitations and eviscerations to make it seem "mature" and "edgy." That's not mature storytelling. That's desecrating on material that you claim to supposedly hold dear.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-14-2024 at 11:54 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mark Millar is the first that comes to mind. I haven't enjoyed anything he wrote except The Ultimates and even that series hasn't dated well. I've tried to get into his work for both the major companies and his creator-owned books and nothing clicks with me.

I heard Powers was a really good book, so I tried it and I had to stop before I even made it halfway through the first issue. The Bendis-speak in that book is just out of control