Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/pete...ays-dan-slott/
    Dan Slott said that Peter and Mary Jane could be together and Peter might even defeat Mephisto, but the marriage would not come back. He also did not give a reason why the marriage could not be restored. He said we wouldn't understand (?). So when I read the first issue of Spencer run, I wasn't surprised (but I was glad). But I was surprised when I read ASM #29 where Peter wanted to propose to MJ. I would have thought it was nothing serious if it came up once, but Peter's desire to propose to Mary Jane has come up a few times. ASM #44-45, Sinister War #1. It didn't feel like bait, it looked serious. The existence of this plot would already contradict Slott's words.
    The existence of a plot doesn't mean we'll get a particular payoff.

Imagine a reader who really wants Spider-Man to die getting excited about stories that show Peter Parker in danger. They're still unlikely to get the narrative outcome they want.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Imagine a reader who really wants Spider-Man to die getting excited about stories that show Peter Parker in danger. They're still unlikely to get the narrative outcome they want.
    Strange comparison. Everyone understands that Peter Parker will not die forever. But no one knows if the marriage will return. It's not the same, you know. You mean that just because Peter wanted to propose to MJ doesn't mean that at the end of this story he will. The only problem is that this story has no end. Peter just forgot he wanted to propose. We are not told why he changed his mind. This is strange. For example, BND Harry wanted to propose to Menace, but they didn't get married and we were told why. There was an end. The plot about Peter and the wedding ring is ignored, there is no end to it, at least not yet.

Quesada had some great ideas and one terrible idea that overshadows them all. I wish him well in retirement and I wish for the original timeline for Spider-Man comic books to be restored and for Peter and MJ to know what happened and to brick Mephisto's red pigeon's butt.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

He revitalized Marvel and he leaves behind an incredible legacy. I wish him well in his future endeavours, but I'd be lying if I said I'll miss him. Because I won't. He hung around Marvel longer than he should have.

That being said, the marriage won't be coming back. We still have Brevoort there (for how much longer, who knows). Things won't fully change until he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I think Joe was way better under Jemas. Morrison on X-Men, JMS on Spidey, Gaiman doing 1612, X-Force, the MAX line, Corben doing Hulk...
    Lots of duds too, but it was all pretty wild and chaotic
    But he hated the status quo set by Morrison and had it undone in the most terrible way with House of M/Decimation.

Honestly, I think that was worse than OMD, as it led to Marvel's horrible treatment of the mutants for more than a decade triggered by the rise of the MCU and Fox owning the movie rights.

BANNED

Unless you're an Ultimate reader...

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/pete...ays-dan-slott/
    Dan Slott said that Peter and Mary Jane could be together and Peter might even defeat Mephisto, but the marriage would not come back. He also did not give a reason why the marriage could not be restored. He said we wouldn't understand (?). So when I read the first issue of Spencer run, I wasn't surprised (but I was glad). But I was surprised when I read ASM #29 where Peter wanted to propose to MJ. I would have thought it was nothing serious if it came up once, but Peter's desire to propose to Mary Jane has come up a few times. ASM #44-45, Sinister War #1. It didn't feel like bait, it looked serious. The existence of this plot would already contradict Slott's words.
    There are several things wrong with Slotts facts and arguments here. Certainly foremost in trying to present Marvel as some consistent company through the years. Disney on the other hand is something else. What their thoughts is on Marvel and their characters are still very much shrouded. If their board is against it it will be a whole other process.

I have yet to see any instance where Dan Slott comes of as a nice guy. Even when he is clearly trying it just comes off arrogant, whiny and entitled. He should have someone who does all his PR. Just more diplomacy, empathy and restraint.

On Joe Q he was mainly successful because he was rather good at networking. That is his legacy. Kevin Smith. JMS. People like that. That helped save marvel. Coupled with Jemas risky behavior. Both of them had a rather short shelf life.

BANNED

Nick Lowe has apparently teased a project with Quesada on twitter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I wish that project would be at DC and take Brevoort, Wells and Slott with them.

Astonishing Member

It better #^@&ing not be the third part of Q’s “trilogy” (after OMD and OMIT) he used to tease.

Wrong analogy. The marriage is something that once existed and was taken away by editorial. The correct analogy would be a reader who really wants a now dead Spider-Man to return, and gets excited when a resurrection is teased. Kinda like how Peter Parker was going to stay dead in the Ultimate Universe - only he got better.

And regardless, Marvel knows teasing the return of any now absent fan favorite status/character will indeed cause excitement and speculation. So who is to blame: the reader for falling for the manipulation designed expressly to push their emotional buttons, or the company cynically and actively trolling readers for money and giggles?
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-01-2022 at 06:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

Look, Marvel powers that be: Some of us do really want the marriage (and the kid that got magically aborted) back, but we would settle pretty contently for just letting Pete and MJ have a reckoning on responsibility over the effects their bowing to Mephisto had on the people around them and the whole effing world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    It better #^@&ing not be the third part of Q’s “trilogy” (after OMD and OMIT) he used to tease.
    I'm guessing this could be the case. In those teases back in 2010, he said MJ would have a kid if they ever got to tell that story, and Wells' run opens with MJ as a mom.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

I'm guessing this could be the case. In those teases back in 2010, he said MJ would have a kid if they ever got to tell that story, and Wells' run opens with MJ as a mom.
    So are we saying the girl is May or Annie?

Astonishing Member

Because that’s all the value women have in Q’s story world, apparently. To make life easier for men and be mommies. They can’t possibly have hopes, dreams and aspirations outside of a relationship with a man and bearing his kid.

I can’t even be happy he’s gone from Marvel because his influence will continue to live on through his buddies and acolytes who remain.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-01-2022 at 12:30 PM.

BANNED