Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    He's neXt to Rogue, but on the other side, in front of Sunfire. The *distance* between them suggests Destiny's somewhat succeeding, though, in driving a wedge between 'em. Also, behind Havok in the right corner, at the bottom of Synch's aura...
    is that MONET?!
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that is Gambit in front of Sunfire because his gala outfit by Dauterman has a big hood. I would be very glad to be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    He's neXt to Rogue, but on the other side, in front of Sunfire. The *distance* between them suggests Destiny's somewhat succeeding, though, in driving a wedge between 'em. Also, behind Havok in the right corner, at the bottom of Synch's aura...
    is that MONET?!
    Gambit wears cape/hood with his hellfire gala outfit

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Judging by how Scott and Emma are just publicly dancing in front of everyone, I guess Krakoa found some way to spin a story of how Cyclops survived his apparent public death as to not reveal their resurrection protocols.
    Maybe Krakoa's normalization of polycules that include top political heads and military leaders will be this year's big reveal.

Duggan has successfully baited me with the Scott and Emma content. Here I go foolishly getting my hopes up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I always figured the protocols would be shelved or changed once they got revealed to the world. Guess we'll see
    I think so too,in a way it was written into the X-Men calculus.They safeguard their survival with the protocols full well knowing the CoV already have a mechanism to regenerate their kind, while regular humans, once this secret is out will follow suit which would likely mean transhumanism becoming a reality within decades not a century or so.So trying to put the genie back in the bottle, as it were, by negating the protocols could be the option taken. It would take more than shelving the protocols and probably wouldn't be enough but we'll just have to wait and see.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I think so too,in a way it was written into the X-Men calculus.They safeguard their survival with the protocols full well knowing the CoV already have a mechanism to regenerate their kind, while regular humans, once this secret is out will follow suit which would likely mean transhumanism becoming a reality within decades not a century or so.So trying to put the genie back in the bottle, as it were, by negating the protocols could be the option taken. It would take more than shelving the protocols and probably wouldn't be enough but we'll just have to wait and see.
    As someone fascinated with the idea of transhumanism, particularly in a cyberpunk context where transhuman technologies ultimately end up being used to further calcify existing social inequities by turning those with the wealth and/or other means to obtain and exploit such technologies into an effectively immortal superhuman overclass, the aftermath of the Protocols being revealed to the world sounds about as expected.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    This is awesome.

Interesting blurb for Spidey.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As someone fascinated with the idea of transhumanism, particularly in a cyberpunk context where transhuman technologies ultimately end up being used to further calcify existing social inequities by turning those with the wealth and/or other means to obtain and exploit such technologies into an effectively immortal superhuman overclass, the aftermath of the Protocols being revealed to the world sounds about as expected.
    The genre also offers a lot of examples where the whole aspect of immortality through cloning and memory recording/downloading can go horrible wrong or lead to a massive social and cultural decline.

And here we have the additional factor of laws of physics breaking super powers.

One thing i had to remember pretty early, especialy when the neglect of mutant children and youths became a larger topic in New Mutants and later Way of X, was the Battle Angel Alita follow up manga Last Order, where the reader could finaly see the state the rest of the solar system was in (the original only mentioned that there had been a large war which has resulted in Earth becomming an isolated scavenger world).

Among this was the reveal that long ago a young hacker had gained access to a secret technology which allows to stop the aging process. Being the idealistic "information need to be free" type activist, he simply revealed this information to all of humanity, making it commonplace and unrestricted.

Which had horrible consequences for the value and treatment of children in many of the societies.

Astonishing Member

Yeah I hear you, humans getting access to this technology will not mean some egalitarian immortality ,far from it.It will be a privilege of the few with the wealth and technology to create a super class. So shelving the protocols is too little too late as Orchis,Xeno and Stasis probably have similar or fully reverse engineered programmes,the only difference is the framing is X-Men don't want technological peers as this from their p.o.v is an existential threat, yet they at least apparently initiate this immortality arms race.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    This is awesome.

Between this and the stuff previewed for the next run on Spidey I fear for the wallcrawler. First they screw over his relationship with MJ now the Moira Jane now...what I'm going to assume is probably the Jackal coming back since the resurrection protocols in all but name.

Or hell, maybe another Osborn has become a demon and decided to screw with the X-men for once.

I mean as much as I'd enjoy transhumanism (which was essentially the original Hickman plan it sounds like, just a fight over what flavor of transhumanity..and I for one am eternally disapointed magic was not represented), Marvel was not going to
    A). Change the world status quo that much if the real life technology is not that close.
    B). Not let events in the X-office dictate how the entire future of the Marvel universe goes. X-men isn't quite at mid-nineties level of controlling everything at Marvel again.

This is awesome.

Moira Jane...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Moira Jane...
    The "due to certain new developments in their resurrection protocols" is what I find interesting. I don't know why but Uncle Ben just came to mind.

Astonishing Member

The "due to certain new developments in their resurrection protocols" is what I find interesting. I don't know why but Uncle Ben just came to mind.
    I say Jackal. It's essentially Cloning, it was Ben's stuff that started the "Clones have the original soul/their own soul" stuff, etc.

Only a handful of characters got blurbs in the official guide. "Prominent role"?

In that vein, they could just dig up the Jackal, since his cloning technology was refined into a precursor of the Krakoan Resurrection Protocols, albeit at the cost of having to take special pills once every 24 hours lest the "reanimated" degenerate into zombielike Carrions, and his appearance in Ms. Marvel Team-Up with Spider-Man had him pursuing technology that could be used to upload and store someone's memories in a digital cloud for human minds, which could come in handy. It's one thing to perfectly replicate or "reanimate" someone's body, but it wouldn't be complete without that person's memories and personality, which could be downloaded into the "reanimated" body from that digital cloud. Either that, or get Tony Stark to share the "biological reboot" technology he used to bring himself and Rhodey back from the dead in Invincible Iron Man #600.
    Honestly why would Jackal even care about that tech? His cloning method only has the flaw of the carrion killing you without the pills, even then that got fixed, why would he care about transferable memories? Unless he was planning to make a clone of himself in a stronger body or somethin'...

That's just off the top of my head, and considering Orchis does have a Sinister doppelganger working for/with them under the guise of Doctor Stasis . . . why don't they offer their own resurrective technology to the general human populace?
    Orchis doesn't care about humans, they care about killing mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Indeed. The basis for this kind of revival via cloning and mind storage/downloading have in some shape or form been present all over Marvel continuity and in the hands of numerous individuals on Earth. To say nothing of alien technology and otherworldly powers.

Which is also the reason i wasn't particular impressed when Hickman introduced the whole system in HOX/POX. Because it's nothing new, regardless of how much he tried to cover it in "mutant pride and accomplishment" dialoge and had Larraz beautifully illustrate the process in action. Instead i felt the editors allowed him to open a large can of worms, by allowing it to happen and stay around with the X-men and now it seems to actively gnaw on one of the rules of these super hero comics.
    At the very least, his cloning method has actual proper explanations, while other cloning methods just work.

In-universe though, there should be nothing special about the cloning method Hickman came up with, if anything it's needlessly convoluted compared to what Sinister can do on a weekend when he's bored lol.

The stuff that could make the cloning method standout more, like putting someone's mind in another body, or resurrecting someone to not be as old, are either hardly done, or not done at all.

This is awesome.

My guess is the Gwen that shows up in Eternals has something to do with those changes, whether or not she'll remain alive is anyone's guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I say Jackal. It's essentially Cloning, it was Ben's stuff that started the "Clones have the original soul/their own soul" stuff, etc.
    Have X-Men also used this though? I only remember Spidey's side making confirmations about this (Silk's tie-in to Clone Conspiracy having her ghost boyfriend forcefully be put back in a living body, Ben's Scarlet Spider comic having Death herself say she's the actual Ben, and ASM having Dr. Strange say that Connors' son, Billy, has the same soul), but I'm not sure if that's confirmed to be widespread.

Then again, given how many times every major mutants has died, might as well say it is indeed the case, even if there are logical flaws here and there, but hey...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then