Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Dc continuity changes you'd like to see kept/unchanged

Going off of the other thread, what what would you want kept/unchanged if things were yet again reset? Here are some of mine to start:

*the New 52's Red Hood & the Outlaws. This is literally the first time since his resurrection that the character actually appealed to me.

*pretty much all of Batman's history.

*everything re Jon Kent.

*PAD's run on Aquaman.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Starting at the top, I'm keeping the Scott Snyder and the Grant Morrison cosmic hierarchy:
    The Presence = The Source = The Overvoid > Omniverse
    The Hands = The Super Celestials = Perpetua > Multiverse
    Monitor - Anti-Monitor - The World Forger
    Barbatos > Dark Multiverse
    I don't know where to place Dr. Manhattan, Great Darkness, The Writer, The Cosmic Raptor, The Chronicler, The Spectre and Lucifer in that hierarchy, but they keep their position

All dimensions hierarchy. 3rd dimension, 4th, 5th (Imagination), 6th (Possibility), all the way to the top (I don't remember), Limbo, the works.

Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns universe hierarchy
    Omniverse
    Megaverse - Metaverse
    Multiverse
    Universe (Earths)

Infinite Earths is in. It's part of the Omniverse after all, and I'm keeping the Metaverse as an alternate Megaverse where each of the old continuity Multiverse are still going with their stories

I'm keeping Hypertime for the sole reason of explaining minute inconsistencies between titles because that's bound to happen when you have so many people working the same characters

So I guess with infinite earths and infinite timeline, I'm keeping their sum, Geoff Johns' Divine Continuum, by default

Jury's still out on memories of past continuity. It's convenient when writers want to pull stories from the past and have it affect present day, but I much prefer editorial do their job to keep the large consistencies, something they should be able to do, while also providing writers with alternate earths to play with if they want to go off the rails. I'm leaning towards no, but if it's needed...
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-02-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

The question is a bit vague. I'm not sure if we are supposed to list things that were changed at any point for the better as "ret-cons we'd keep" or if this is just for things retconned where we'd keep the current take.

Example- Barry Allen and Wally originally got their speed from just a chemical bath. Post-Crisis Waid reworked that into the Speed Force that connected Jay Garrick, Johnny Quick, Max Mercury ,,, to Barry and Wally as a common reason for super-speed. Then Geoff Johns made Barry the origin point for the Speed Force. Then we got things like the Strong Force, the Still Force and the Sage Force.

So is Waid's simpler Speed Force a retcon I can choose to keep or do I have to take the current 2022 version if I'm keeping a retcon?

All of them from the beginning to now, 2022. Which version do you keep from those if there's another reboot.

I'm keeping the Speed Force as the source of all Flash power, but I'm undecided about making Barry the source of Speed Force. It's one of those Paradox thing I don't like because it's annoying to explain.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-02-2022 at 10:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'd keep the retcon that the Black Canary in the JLA is a different person than the one in the JSA and per Post-Crisis this was always known. So no creepy "has her mom's memories"

The Reverse-Flash idolized Barry originally and planned to become a 25th Century hero. A combination of his own character flaws and the discovery of his ultimate fate turned him into a villain.

J'onn J'onzz having other identities like the Bronze Wraith prior to his time with the original JLA.

The All-Star Squadron concept that all (or most) of DC's Golden Age characters co-existed and had encounters that were not covered in the comics of the time. Plus the idea that some of the published stories had details that were different from "the real story". ( Like the JSA being sent into other dimensions rather than the main universe version of other planets),

Morrison's T-shirt and Jeans early Golden-Age-ish career for Superman.

Donna Troy as a separate character from the Diana "Wonder Girl"

Green Arrow and Speedy spending time in the 1940's as part of the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

Barry indirectly creating Kid Flash (Wally having the "same" accident wasn't a co-incidence)

Jonathan and Martha were snowed in and were able to pass Clark off as their natural son.

Lori Lemaris and Aquaman being two types of inhabitants of a single Atlantean civilization.

Extraordinary Member

Ohhh, yeah. I'd keep the Speed Force, too. At least Waid's version of it.

I'd also keep Andy Diggle's version of Green Arrow's origin.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Rebirth Outlaws was awesome. So, Dark Trinity is good to go.
    Jason's past with the All-Caste.
    Super Sons up until Bendis took over.

Pulling back to the origins, the El family tree I can go whichever, and I'm okay with barren planet Krypton, maybe with some poison green gas, but I don't want the citizens to be unfeeling. Arrogant conqueror of the planet with advanced technology and racist against clones, yes, but not completely sterile.

I prefer the design of young Jor and Lara from Birthright, which is basically a modernized silver age version

I want him to be Superboy

I haven't decided if the whole of Smallville should know he's Superboy or if Lex should be in Smallville. I have no strong feelings for either.

Batman's side, instead of Alfred, I'm keeping Phillip Wayne as guardian and Mrs. Chilton (Joe Chill's mother seeking redemption) as caretaker, with Alfred only coming back years later once Dick's already in the family. He won't be a bumbling detective, and he will be a father figure, but it will take longer.

This way, there is more time for Alfred to be together with his actual daughter and wife, instead of them making excuses on how awkward it was Alfred paying more attention to Bruce than his own family.

I'm keeping Jarvis Pennyworth being murdered by The Court of Owls, and without Alfred, when The Waynes went to the theater, they have to walk to the parking lot by themselves, and get mugged along the way. Thomas and Martha didn't have time to hire Alfred before that.

While beat cop Gordon did know Bruce from the time he ran away from home, he wasn't there when the Waynes were mugged. He was trying to stop a robbery and ended up killing Wrath's parents. He may be able to comfort Bruce in the station while he's waiting review, but either way, I want little Bruce to still get a bonding moment and good impression on him, even if he's keeping secret about the shooting.

So now only Dr. Leslie Thompkins, whose home was in Park Row, was available to comfort Bruce on the street.

Actually I like Alfred as father figure for Bruce, I just haven't been able to reconcile it with Julia. The Bronze age made her adopted by someone else, while the New 52 made them estranged. I don't really like either.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-05-2022 at 04:47 AM.

Jarvis Pennyworth? That's a funny name, considering his Marvel counterpart is named Edwin Jarvis. Did DC pick that name for Alfred's father on purpose?

Julia doesn't need an adoption story (which doesn't even make sense as she'd surely change her surname in that scenario, and thus would not be called Pennyworth), surely she'd have just been with her mother?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Scotty Fischer's superhero name being Scorch. Blaze just sounds like a cat.

Brainiac being responsible for Krypton's destruction

Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl being the same thing
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

None......

Matrix and Linda Danvers as Supergirls before Kara came to Earth.
    I feel like that returns a couple of beloved characters without taking anything away, as Kara would still be the current Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jarvis Pennyworth? That's a funny name, considering his Marvel counterpart is named Edwin Jarvis. Did DC pick that name for Alfred's father on purpose?

Julia doesn't need an adoption story (which doesn't even make sense as she'd surely change her surname in that scenario, and thus would not be called Pennyworth), surely she'd have just been with her mother?
    I don't know which Jarvis came first. Alfred's father was mentioned Pre-Crisis and Edwin first appeared in 1964.

Julia being adopted is the original 70s story. I don't remember why, but by the time Alfred found her, she's already an adult going by Julia Remarque. Her foster father was killed by Deadshot, then Julia moved to Gotham and worked as a reporter under Vicki Vale. The Telltale Batman game feature a Julia Remarque as a cameo reporter but no mention of connection to Alfred.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Matrix and Linda Danvers as Supergirls before Kara came to Earth.
    I feel like that returns a couple of beloved characters without taking anything away, as Kara would still be the current Supergirl.
    I miss Peter David’s Supergirl.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

The history of the JSA. Just make it all canon.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime