Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Comics people have weird tastes in costume. You see that thing Emma is wearing in the last page?
    Umm it's kind of hot and the straps over a revealing chest and torso has become a red carpet trend so Emma as usual was ahead of her time.

OTOH Kitty up there looks like a 12 year old (and canonically she was what, 14?) colored by a 5 year old. Desiring THAT character is like waifu-ing Dora the Explorer or the pups from Paw Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The Age of Apocalypse
    Didn't that become earth 295 or something? If AUs are fair game than ultimate magneto is pretty high up there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    (...)Edit: I'm thinking of mutants as a collective. If we are talking of individuals or small groups then I suppose massacre of Morlocks.
    Isn't that quite a moraly questionable perspective to take, to try to pinpoint villanous actions on the "collective of mutants" since we are talking about millions of people from various ethnical, social, cultural and national backrounds, who for most of the X-men publishing history have been primarily defined as people by said backrounds, with their additional identity as mutants merely being layered over it, which means they never really acted as united group or even had a say in the actions of the small handfull of power individuals?

Because aye there's the rub. The mutants never do or have done anything collectively. Because they were neither ever truely united before, nor have the many been necessary or responcible for the destructive actions of the few.

That's because the X-gene allows few people to hold more (laws of physique breaking) power individualy than the majority of carriers can ever bring up collectively. As such the very nature of being a mutant ultimately creates a natural inequality that is not present in normal humans.

For a ruler to wage war and conquer/destory another realm/nation/tribe, they would need a fighting force of equal or greater strength than the one they are going to face. Which means people who are willing to put their individual power under the ruler's command, either by agreement, promise of reward or threat of violence. Otherwise the ruler is just a single person with a weapon (or not even that) and therefor only capable of that level of destruction. Same goes for the opposite end and any great building projects or act of charity.

"Winning involves every level of society, from the generals and politicians to the shop girls and street cleaners."

They all require a hirarchy that can only be maintained because more people are willing to accept the rule, posession of property and command of fewer individuals than them because it feels more beneficial than to band together and reject it.

Even almost all tools used by individuals to perform positive or negative actions require a social and economical structure to create them. Especialy the more complex and powerfull they become. Knowledge needs to be gained, transmitted and taught. Resources need to be gathered and processed to material.

With mutants and other super powered invididual however all this can easily be negated based on what the lottery has given them. A single mutant might have the same level of power as a normal human who's tools required a whole industry to create. Or they can have power that even an entire nation could never collective create.

This eliminates the need for a hirarchy based on personal power being metaphoricaly given to increasingly fewer individuals above them in the hirarchy. Instead fewer individuals can hold more personal power alone, than the people in the hirarchy below them as groups.

Which is exactly the power structure we can observe with Krakoa. Which means even now that there is a nation in which seemingly almost every mutant is being a part of and living on their land, they aren't really doing anything collectively. Because the entire structure of the nation sits on the shoulders of less than a hundred people, who by their personal powers alone are actualy keeping the nation running and are responcible for their "great achievements".

As such all the "worst things mutants have done" are infact often only the result of individual or small group efforts. Because the "collective" of mutants is mostly much less powerfull than a few of their individuals.
    Last edited by Grunty; 06-04-2022 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Which is exactly the power structure we can observe with Krakoa. Which means even now that there is a nation in which seemingly almost every mutant is being a part of and living on their land, they aren't really doing anything collectively. Because the entire structure of the nation sits on the shoulders of less than a hundred people, who by their personal powers alone are actualy keeping the nation running and are responcible for their "great achievements".
    The difference between Krakoa and the rest of mutant history is that by agreeing to live on the same island and under the same rule, the mutants will be held accountable for whatever one of them does by the rest of the world.

The Germans haven’t been held accountable for what Hitler did but they weren’t considered completely innocent either: by doing nothing, you can be considered, at least a little, guilty. There’s an acceptance of the Krakoan’s policy among all mutants living on the island.

In the past, the other heroes have reproached the X-men of treating leniently Magneto because he was a mutant.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Doom is an opportunist. If he sees an opportunity he plays for it, not much different than mutants making Mars basically the capital of Sol without asking a single soul on Earth.
    Why would they need to ask anybody about using a planet that was never theirs? Mutants, especially the Arakkii, don’t owe humanity anything. If anything, those are the spoils of war for defending humanity from an endless horde for millenia.

This doesn't discredit his words about Chuck and Krakoa in general. And I didn't know showing restraint in a diplomatic meeting counts as getting slapped down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    He was having a nice dinner with Ororo, talking politics as world leaders often do, when she started floating and blowing things up! I bet if you search through the entirety of all official panels, you will never once find Doctor Doom blowing something up during an evening meal, because he respects the efforts of his kitchen staff!

Knowing when to pause the drama is just as important as knowing when to drop the mic.
    He literally summoned a devil to enslave galaxies in that same timeframe, but go off i guess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Why would they need to ask anybody about using a planet that was never theirs? Mutants, especially the Arakkii, don’t owe humanity anything. If anything, those are the spoils of war for defending humanity from an endless horde for millenia.

He literally summoned a devil to enslave galaxies in that same timeframe, but go off i guess.
    I….you do realize that Storm didn’t actively know that at the time, right? There is a difference between in-character and out of character knowledge?

As for the entire Mars issue, if you think Russia, out of nowhere, terraformed and colonized Mars the rest of the world would just accept it happening like “eh, we weren’t doing much there to begin with?”

Also, it’s a blatant violation of the Outer Space Treaty, a real life diplomatic agreement governing among other things, attempted sovereignty of celestial bodies in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Isn't that quite a moraly questionable perspective to take, to try to pinpoint villanous actions on the "collective of mutants" since we are talking about millions of people from various ethnical, social, cultural and national backrounds, who for most of the X-men publishing history have been primarily defined as people by said backrounds, with their additional identity as mutants merely being layered over it, which means they never really acted as united group or even had a say in the actions of the small handfull of power individuals?

Because aye there's the rub. The mutants never do or have done anything collectively. Because they were neither ever truely united before, nor have the many been necessary or responcible for the destructive actions of the few.

That's because the X-gene allows few people to hold more (laws of physique breaking) power individualy than the majority of carriers can ever bring up collectively. As such the very nature of being a mutant ultimately creates a natural inequality that is not present in normal humans.

For a ruler to wage war and conquer/destory another realm/nation/tribe, they would need a fighting force of equal or greater strength than the one they are going to face. Which means people who are willing to put their individual power under the ruler's command, either by agreement, promise of reward or threat of violence. Otherwise the ruler is just a single person with a weapon (or not even that) and therefor only capable of that level of destruction. Same goes for the opposite end and any great building projects or act of charity.

"Winning involves every level of society, from the generals and politicians to the shop girls and street cleaners."

They all require a hirarchy that can only be maintained because more people are willing to accept the rule, posession of property and command of fewer individuals than them because it feels more beneficial than to band together and reject it.

Even almost all tools used by individuals to perform positive or negative actions require a social and economical structure to create them. Especialy the more complex and powerfull they become. Knowledge needs to be gained, transmitted and taught. Resources need to be gathered and processed to material.

With mutants and other super powered invididual however all this can easily be negated based on what the lottery has given them. A single mutant might have the same level of power as a normal human who's tools required a whole industry to create. Or they can have power that even an entire nation could never collective create.

This eliminates the need for a hirarchy based on personal power being metaphoricaly given to increasingly fewer individuals above them in the hirarchy. Instead fewer individuals can hold more personal power alone, than the people in the hirarchy below them as groups.

As such all the "worst things mutants have done" are infact often only the result of individual or small group efforts. Because the "collective" of mutants is mostly much less powerfull than a few of their individuals.
    You're right. It's just that there have been a lot of crimes committed by mutant characters over the years so I have a hard time pinpointing one as the worst. Instead I looked at Krakoa as a whole but I admit it's not a good perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

Did I say anything resembling mutants claiming Mars as their own is wrong? They can inhabit whichever previously dead planet they want. The problem is they made it sure that in intergalactic affairs Mars/Arakko represents Sol which includes Earth with 7.5 billion people on it. How would you feel if someone you don't know came to you and said "from now on I'm representing this neighborhood in the city council"?

Astonishing Member

You're right. It's just that there have been a lot of crimes committed by mutant characters over the years so I have a hard time pinpointing one as the worst. Instead I looked at Krakoa as a whole but I admit it's not a good perspective.

Did I say anything resembling mutants claiming Mars as their own is wrong? They can inhabit whichever previously dead planet they want. The problem is they made it sure that in intergalactic affairs Mars/Arakko represents Sol which includes Earth with 7.5 billion people on it. How would you feel if someone you don't know came to you and said "from now on I'm representing this neighborhood in the city council"?
    TBF, that's not entirely the case, as the unknown person could have conceivably be elected. It would be if someone randomly came up to your entire town and stated that not only are they representing you to every other town on the planet and that they have the firepower to make sure you don't get any say in the matter.

Yay for neo-colonialim? /s

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Who cares about them? Those 7.5 billion people weren't there!
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Astonishing Member

Also power thief? What is that supposed to mean?
    Someone that steals powers.

I mean, a good deal of the Quiet Council past and present have a bunch of skeletons in their closet...

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Who cares about them? Those 7.5 billion people weren't there!
    They're also mostly human therefore irrelevant.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Beast bringing back the O5 ohhhh
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Beast bringing back the O5 ohhhh
    Man disgusted the Watcher and was a **** to Scott, throw him in the pit!

Man disgusted the Watcher and was a **** to Scott, throw him in the pit!
    Haha the Watcher was not having him at all!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!