Extraordinary Member

Default Batman Beyond: Neo-Year #3 Preview

Batman Beyond: Neo-Year #3 Preview
    Writers: Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly
    Artist: Max Dunbar

Terry undercover with the upper crust...

Mighty Member

I've caught up on this, and I found I really like the idea of the living Gotham. It's easy to argue that Bruce has been fighting against Gotham itself his whole life, and now that idea has been made literal. I haven't been blown away by anything in this run, but practically everything about it screams potential, and I am enjoying finally seeing Terry function without Bruce.

Agreed. It has been an interesting read--and it has been happily adding intriguing new characters that could serve as a strong base for an ongoing series. It would be a terrible shame if this mini were the only time we dipped into this particular formulation of the Beyondiverse.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

I wasn't a fan of how Terry just blindly assumed that new cop character is a good cop and she obviously is because she got more panels than other characters. Felt very artificial.

That's a fair criticism. I blame it on the fact that this is not an ongoing series, but a limited series. If this was ongoing, the writer could take time to introduce supporting characters, flesh them out, make them more than a convenient plot device. But when you are limited to telling your story in X number of issues, you don't have the freedom to do that. It is important (presumably) for Terry to trust the new cop, so he does. Because we can't waste time giving him a reason for trusting her.

Look. I get it. Consultants used their Jedi mind tricks and convinced comic book publishers: "Limited series are the cash cow that you are looking for." But the truth is that truly good stories, solid stories, satisfying stories come from an ongoing series that can slowly develop plot points. As the Dilbert comic explain years ago: "I like to con people. I like to insult people. Put them together, you get 'consult.'"
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"