Default All-Star Squadron Appreciation Thread (over 40 years later)

First appearance:

Justice League of America #193 (August 1981)

In a fourteen page story inserted in the middle of Justice League of America #193

NOTE: Even though that first story focused mainly on the JSA members, many other heroes would become more involved in the All-Star Squadron as time went on.

------------------------------
    And in case anybody was wondering about the name of the group and hadn't already realized it, the reason for using "All-Star" in the name was because of
    the comic book that was the home of the Justice Society during the Golden Age.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Joe Kubert cover to Issue 7.

Kubert7.jpg

All-Star Squadron #36 & #37 are my favorite issues, because the SHAZAM!/Marvel Family made prominent appearances (XD)

All-Star Squadron was the first DC I collected from its first issue. I was 7 when the series started and a fan of the Golden Age characters due to the JLA/JSA crossovers.

Issues 17 to 40 are some of my favourite comics, from the trail of Robotman, the Ultra-Humanite/Infinity Inc. story, Spectre vs. Dr Fate, the Earth-X origin, to Captain Marvel and Amazing Man vs the Klan.

But my absolute favourite issues are the Brain Wave story from 19-20. Such powerful storytelling and some amazing Jerry Ordway artwork

Last edited by Babylon23; 06-12-2022 at 01:39 AM.

Brilliant series and another reason to hate crises on infinite earths which effectively brought the series to an unwanted end…
    Contender for the best DC series of the 80’s, I’d personally have it at number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Joe Kubert cover to Issue 7.

Kubert7.jpg
    While the Joe Kubert covers were a proper tribute to the golden age era, I have to say that I prefered when Jerry Ordway took over, on inks or/and on pencils.

Peace

Just curious, was the story in JLA 193 separate from the series, or was it just part of All-Star Squadron 1? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    Just curious, was the story in JLA 193 separate from the series, or was it just part of All-Star Squadron 1? Thanks.
    It led into All-Star Squadron #1.

How come DC never released this in any trade outside of Showcase? I’d buy everyone in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    How come DC never released this in any trade outside of Showcase? I’d buy everyone in a heartbeat.
    That's a question you'd probably have to ask DC directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    There are also a few issues of the Ultra-Humanite Saga (#25-26 and Annual #2) collected in the first vol. of the Infinity Inc Generations HC (DC canceled the second volume before it was released), and about 10 (ALL-Star Squadron # 50-60) issues collected in the vol 01 of the Crisis on Infinite Earth Companion Deluxe. But, yes, I agree, it's almost criminal that they haven't collected this whole awsome series. I'd also buy it in whatever format they published it.

Peace