Thread: TPB or Omnibus

All-New Member

Default TPB or Omnibus

Hi all, I have a question.

I own the first 4 TPB’s of Jason Aaron’s run on Star Wars (2015). I lost track of the series, and am now in doubt . Should I buy the other TPB’s to complete the run, or should I go for the Omnibus. It seems to mee the Omnibus collets more then the TPB’s, but is it worth the upgrade?
    Same question concerning Charles Soule’s run on Darth Vader.

Looking forward to your advice!

All-New Member

My opinion: TPBs are so much more readable than omnibuses. I bought a few omnibuses when I first started buying comics, thinking they were the best bang for my buck, but now I hardly ever take them off the shelf to read them. Too big & uncomfortable for reading in bed or on the couch. Plus they're so nice & expensive, I feel like I have to be super delicate with my handling so as not to ruin them. Eventually I want to sell the omnibuses I have & replace them with TPBs!

To me, comics are for reading, not just sitting on a shelf. Omnibuses look great on the shelf.

If you have the Marvel Unlmited or Kindle Unlimited subscription a large chunk of Star Wars TPB and single issues are available on both services, although you'd have to read them digitally of course, and for rental.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

All-New Member

Thanks!
    I ordered the remaining TPB’s of Jason Aaron’s run end Charles Soules Darth Vader. The argument that the Omnibuses are heavy and bulky convinced me.
    I don’t like the digital form. In some way it makes it harder te capture the story. Maybe because I’m oldschool

All-New Member

Another question, Do they reprint the TPB’S?
    Doctor Aphra 2020 part 1 is out of sale...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis1980 View Post
    Another question, Do they reprint the TPB’S?
    Doctor Aphra 2020 part 1 is out of sale...
    Marvel is notoriously bad at keeping trades in print so I wouldn't count on another printing. The good news is that its very easy to get used.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Marvel is notoriously bad at keeping trades in print so I wouldn't count on another printing. The good news is that its very easy to get used.
    I've found DC to be worse with stuff that's not popular, but that's me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've found DC to be worse with stuff that's not popular, but that's me.
    They are still better than Marvel in that regard, it's a flat, undebateable fact.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-27-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

They are still better than Marvel in that regard, it's a flat, undebateable fact.
    Dunno, am still waiting for trades of the rest of the Cassandra Cain Batgirl solo series and reprints on the trades from Stephanie Brown's run.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Dunno, am still waiting for trades of the rest of the Cassandra Cain Batgirl solo series and reprints on the trades from Stephanie Brown's run.
    And you may get them, with Marvel you almost certainly never would.

And you may get them, with Marvel you almost certainly never would.
    I've literally gotten more Marvel reprints than not, so I haven't had your experiences.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I've literally gotten more Marvel reprints than not, so I haven't had your experiences.
    Your experiences aren't the norm...it's a known issue and it's why despite beating DC in direct market shares DC trounces Marvel in the book market. It's not debatable and it happens literally every year, just check Brian Hibbs yearly articles on the book market.