Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Comparing the first issue of Dark Crisis to Saturday morning cartoon entertainment gives Saturday morning cartoons a bad name.
    haha agreed - my bad!
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Comparing the first issue of Dark Crisis to Saturday morning cartoon entertainment gives Saturday morning cartoons a bad name.
    Is it Avengers Assemble bad?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is it Avengers Assemble bad?
    Avenger Assemble improved with each season and wound up being decent(the best seasons were when they switched out the main team and the one centered on Black Panther).

I don't see Dark Crisis improving as things progress.

Avenger Assemble improved with each season and wound up being decent(the best seasons were when they switched out the main team and the one centered on Black Panther).

I don't see Dark Crisis improving as things progress.
    Well, relatively decent.

I mean, if we're saying AA can get somewhat better despite how bad it started out, I think it's only fair to give Dark Crisis a chance. At least there's no forced movie synergy .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Just read the first issue

What I wound most confusing was Jon going to Yara and Jace for a Wonder Woman and Batman

Like really dude, those were your first picks? Not the actually experienced homies like the 2 Wonder Girls (ignoring Cass being unavailable due to YJ) or multiple Robins?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Just read the first issue

What I wound most confusing was Jon going to Yara and Jace for a Wonder Woman and Batman

Like really dude, those were your first picks? Not the actually experienced homies like the 2 Wonder Girls (ignoring Cass being unavailable due to YJ) or multiple Robins?
    Someone made the comment earlier that partly due to his inexperience and partly due to his desire to form a league that resembled a traditional Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman pairing would be why he did that.

Ultimately he settles for a hog pog team

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Another thing I find funny is despite how much they emphasize Jace and Jon to be in the same generation..... Jace is like in his 30's.

He is a grown-ass man more Dick's contemporary technically while Jon, age-up aside, is like 19.

Its funny. Granted I'm pretty sure Yara and Jackson are as young at least. Wait how old is Jo? Does anyone know how old she is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Another thing I find funny is despite how much they emphasize Jace and Jon to be in the same generation..... Jace is like in his 30's.

He is a grown-ass man more Dick's contemporary technically while Jon, age-up aside, is like 19.

Its funny. Granted I'm pretty sure Yara and Jackson are as young at least. Wait how old is Jo? Does anyone know how old she is?
    I think jo is mid 20s, yara is 21, jon 17 jace and dick late 20s I believe

Fantastic Member

It's sad that so many characters from the original Crisis have had tragic fates. In Infinite Crisis, Alexander Luther and Superboy Prime went bad, and the Earth 2 Lois and Superman died. Now, in Dark Crisis, Pariah has joined the dark side. I really wish this continual corrupting of the characters wasn't happening. It's lost its originality.

--jthree

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    It's sad that so many characters from the original Crisis have had tragic fates. In Infinite Crisis, Alexander Luther and Superboy Prime went bad, and the Earth 2 Lois and Superman died. Now, in Dark Crisis, Pariah has joined the dark side. I really wish this continual corrupting of the characters wasn't happening. It's lost its originality.

--jthree
    I'll never forgive DC for what they did to Earth 2 Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Word.

Read the first issue yesterday. It's about what I expected.

Stuff I had figured would happen before any announcements were made, just because DC cycles the same crap in all their Crisis Events:

The League is revealed to be alive at the end of the issue, if not the end of the mini.

A lot of focus on the Future Staters, whether it makes sense or not.

A lot of attention put on the weight of the League's legacy and how nobody else can fill their shoes, whether it makes sense or not.

Some Titans and/or D-listers getting killed/maimed like Star Trek redshirts to prove the stakes.

So yeah, I pretty much had a lot of the major story beats predicted, though a lot of them weren't done as badly as I originally feared. I didn't think Nightwing or Wally would be treated well until Williamson started doing interviews and we started to see some promo art, and I'm happy to say that I think this issue handled both about as well as anyone could reasonably expect. I got this issue because of those two, and I can't really complain much about how they were treated, though I think Wally's stature in the heroic community was underplayed for what it should be.

And I expected more attention on Yara and Jace than we got. Jon being a major focus I'm fine with, the kid actually has 7-9 years of experience under his belt (more than Clark did when the League formed), but I thought Yara and Jace, both rookies who rightfully shouldn't be in a "new League" discussion at all, would get more panel time than they did. Props to Williamson for proving me half wrong on that. For this issue, at least.

I dunno, the issue didn't disgust me or anything, but it didn't do much for me either. Williamson said this was an Event unlike any they've done before but so far I'm not seeing that, I'm just seeing a lot of troupes that're so overused many posters here predicted them off of nothing but the "Dark Crisis" name. I'll get the next issue for the Slade-Grayson fight, I trust Williamson to give my boy a good showing there, but past that I dunno if I'll stick with the thing. This is just the first issue and maybe all these troupes are being set up just so Williamson can surprise us all with something genuinely different. It could improve a lot before it ends. And aside from a bit of clunky dialogue here and there I think Williamson handled any given scene well enough, taken on its own terms. But I'm not willing to give a title four or five issues to build up steam. Not with prices being what they are.

Oh, and I don't think Gar is dead. I think Williamson is gonna try to flip the script on that one. The Academy Titans, like that kid with the bomb strapped to his chest? Those kids are likely gone, but I don't think Williamson will actually kill off a Titan who "matters" here. Which, to give him credit, will be something new and unlike any other Event in recent memory. At a guess, DC will use this to try a new "taking things more seriously" spin on Gar. Johns did the same thing with Impulse back in Teen Titans; Slade shot Bart in the knee with a shotgun, and Johns used it to justify a character shift in Bart and make him grow up some.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-25-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I agree with you. The writers decided to make Earth 2 Superman wrong before they killed him. He was right about the heroes not being heroic, and then the context of the story Infinite Crisis says otherwise. The original COIE ending with the four of the (Superman 2, Lois, Alexander Luther, and Superboy) going to "heaven" was perfect. And then somebody at DC decided to trash it.

Just terrible.

--jthree

BANNED

I agree with you. The writers decided to make Earth 2 Superman wrong before they killed him. He was right about the heroes not being heroic, and then the context of the story Infinite Crisis says otherwise. The original COIE ending with the four of the (Superman 2, Lois, Alexander Luther, and Superboy) going to "heaven" was perfect. And then somebody at DC decided to trash it.

Just terrible.

--jthree
    That somebody was Dan DiDio. He had an actual "hitlist" that he shared to Facebook years after Infinite Crisis. Among his "targets" was the Superman marriage and Nightwing. He wasn't allowed to dissolve Lois and Clark's marriage, so he demanded that Kal-L and Lois die. I'm not sure if Superboy Prime's character assassination was DiDio's fault or Johns,' though I suppose it could have been both. Alex, Kal-L, Lois, and Superboy Prime deserved to either return and save the day one more time before living happily ever after or never being brought up again. The ultimate insult was Prime killing Kal-L and then Kal-L and Lois' resurrection as Black Lanterns.

--jthree
    Pariah actually makes sense as a villain. The guy is condemned to watch worlds die for eternity. He was bound to go crazy and do whatever it takes to stop it.

Alexander Luthor was from Earth 3, so really it was odd that he became evil. A Luthor from the reverse evil earth should be the most noble person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno, the issue didn't disgust me or anything, but it didn't do much for me either. Williamson said this was an Event unlike any they've done before but so far I'm not seeing that
    I am not seeing it either but I hope I am wrong. I really want to like this. I want to see real change.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime