Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Dark Crisis #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Here we go again, another big crossover event that is promising to change the whole DCU to its core and to be honest, it hasn't gotten the best start right from the many prologues. First of all, the full set-up has been overly-long to the point that many of the previous miniseries leading to this event were basically pointless. Second, the whole "The Justice League is dead" plot-point is creatively-bankrupt and reeks of editorial mandate because the higher heads at DC want to push the new generation of heroes a bit too much. Third and finally, this actual opening chapter doesn't really reveal much of the plot itself and what it does reveal is rather predictable.

That being said, I still consider it a decent read based on a few interesting aspects.

Joshua Williamson is the one handling this and if there's something that you can expect from Williamson at the very least are references to the whole DC continuity and universe and he certainly delivers that right from the beginning. From Wally West mentioning how he fought Kobra in the past and had to find his own way to shine (expected since Williamson is a big Wally fan), to Captain Cold reacting to Wally's questions in a different manner from how he would react to Barry which I believe is a reference to Geoff Johns' Flash run, to the "second chance" that Killer Frost gets after the failed Steve Orlando's JLA, to Booster Gold and Blue Beetle joining together the new League after the disaster of Heroes in Crisis and their own attempts in their last miniseries, all of this attention to detail is very appreciated and something that I always enjoy from a big crossover (Hell, this was one of the reasons why I initially liked Scott Snyder's Metal events despite that they devolved into big, dull messes).

However, there are also problems because as I said before, this yet another set-up for what's about to come and at this point I was expecting actual huge revelations to happen here. The biggest issue here is that nobody takes the death of the Justice League seriously in story (which I think is reflection of what Williamson actually thinks about the whole mandate) and the characters being dubious about the whole thing is justified at the end with the true fate of the team being shown. Is just too predictable to even bother.

Daniel Sampere's artwork is pretty solid though, he has gotten a lot better in recent years with a more polished style that offers beautiful, expressive characters along with precise storytelling.

Yeah, kinda liked this one but I still hope the next issue offers more intriguing ideas.

Why did Black Adam object to the age of an adult woman with a PhD and two kids being on this team? Is this supposed to be a commentary on how well the Japanese age?

Also Jon really must be desperate to think Harley is a good idea on this team.

Killer Frost needs a new costume/look.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why did Black Adam object to the age of an adult woman with a PhD and two kids being on this team? Is this supposed to be a commentary on how well the Japanese age?

Killer Frost needs a new costume/look.
    Jon IS desperate.

Black Adam objecting about Dr. Light made no sense. He was spot on about everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Jon IS desperate.

Black Adam objecting about Dr. Light made no sense. He was spot on about everything else.
    It kind of sucks that a team with such variety is mostly a desperation play.

Astonishing Member

It kind of sucks that a team with such variety is mostly a desperation play.
    It was gonna be a desperation play the moment Jon invited Harley.

Astonishing Member

I'm a little confused why Jon goes first to the people he sees for the first time (Jace and Yara) and not to the ones he interacts with? Logically, he should first go to Damian/Dick/Jackson/Wally, with whom he has formed a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I'm a little confused why Jon goes first to the people he sees for the first time (Jace and Yara) and not to the ones he interacts with? Logically, he should first go to Damian/Dick/Jackson/Wally, with whom he has formed a relationship.
    He probably thinks he needs a Trinity.

Although I thought it was amusing how he and Jace had a moment that was pretty peak Batman/Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Here we go again, another big crossover event that is promising to change the whole DCU to its core . . .
    I'm not reading this, but I thought much of Williamson's previous talk about this was saying it WASN'T going to, as you put it, "change the whole DCU to its core"?

Well, even Harley was surprised.

Also, Jace don't get any points by this issue, i already found his uninteresting and this just makes him unlikeable.

But this issue was kinda boring and i already knew everything that would happen cause of spoilers and Williamson interviews. But i'm looking foward to the next one.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It’s no surprise I liked this, I’m built for stories like this. I enjoyed Jon dealing with the dc universe trying in vain to build a Justice League and seeing Wally and Hal in action. Have to wait and see on all the Titans stuff going on because it cut away before we saw anything regarding Slade’s assault on the Tower and the gun going off. Hell we don’t even know if Chupacabra survived the bomb strapped to him or not.

Not to mention I think we got some confirmation there that Ollie is not actually dead? He looked to be in one of Pariah’s worlds and I doubt Williamson would forget a story he himself wrote.

Also it’s odd to see Pariah’s green anti-monitor type suit
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Well, even Harley was surprised.

Also, Jace don't get any points by this issue, i already found his uninteresting and this just makes him unlikeable.

But this issue was kinda boring and i already knew everything that would happen cause of spoilers and Williamson interviews. But i'm looking foward to the next one.
    Jace at his most generic Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    It’s no surprise I liked this, I’m built for stories like this. I enjoyed Jon dealing with the dc universe trying in vain to build a Justice League and seeing Wally and Hal in action. Have to wait and see on all the Titans stuff going on because it cut away before we saw anything regarding Slade’s assault on the Tower and the gun going off. Hell we don’t even know if Chupacabra survived the bomb strapped to him or not.

Not to mention I think we got some confirmation there that Ollie is not actually dead? He looked to be in one of Pariah’s worlds and I doubt Williamson would forget a story he himself wrote.

Also it’s odd to see Pariah’s green anti-monitor type suit
    Wasn't Ollie the only one Pariah didn't actually "kill?" So he just physically died.

Jace at his most generic Batman.

Wasn't Ollie the only one Pariah didn't actually "kill?" So he just physically died.
    He’s in one of the dream world bubbles with the rest of the League that “died” so unless someone made a mistake Ollie’s alive in his own dream world used by Pariah.

Last edited by sifighter; 06-07-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I liked it. I love legacy, I like seeing new characters in new / old mantles so this was great. I like seeing the hero community look to Nightwing for strength in a time like this. I like that the Bat-fam in general are like nah Bruce isn’t dead. Enjoyed Jace turning down Jon to focus on his city (so Batman). Jon’s earnestness to prove himself and do something to give people hope was a nice touch. I doI hate this push to make Harley a hero but given Jon is young, desperate and doesn’t have too many options I can understand it. And Slade being Slade and going after the Titans first felt like the most Slade-est thing to do so looking forward to some action in the next issue.

I do think asking Dr Light her age was weird. Like she’s not a teen, so where did that even come from ? Unless his point is he’s immortal so even her is so much younger him, but then again that would apply to most of the members of the previous league as well.

Williamson previously said there was a specific reason Doctor Light is part of Dark Crisis so Black Adam asking her about her age most likely wasn't meant to be a random comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Because where those two were specifically created to be and marketing as the new Batman and WW next to Jon's Superman.