Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Galura on the cover,... cool. She debuted in Prisoner X and is the current girlfriend of Karma. Great she is still thought off. Who knows, her twin brother might appear again as well.

Hate how Sunspot looks on that first cover.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    And they'll give the 2003 New Mutants cast their own variant cover, right? Right, Marvel? You know everyone wants to see more of Hellion and his Academy X friends.
    No,we really don't. Unless they are in a exploding school bus.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    No,we really don't. Unless they are in a exploding school bus.
    Listen;

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Galura on the cover,... cool. She debuted in Prisoner X and is the current girlfriend of Karma. Great she is still thought off. Who knows, her twin brother might appear again as well.

I really hope Galura has a bigger role going forward. She desperately needs to be fleshed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    She's been going to Masque to change her appearance to be closer to what it was before her mutation kicked in.
    So much for the message of self-acceptance or whatever she used to represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's a little more complicated than that. Dani tried to push a message of self-acceptance onto her. It was a well-meaning, but insensitive platitude that showed Dani didn't fully understand Cosmar's plight.

I feel it's more of a trans metaphor than anything. Given how the author is transmasc, I feel that it was meant to be viewed through that lens. Cosmar would even go to a doctor to change her body into one she felt more comfortable with.
    Last edited by Rift; 06-07-2022 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I feel like Vita's run has been pretty well-received?
    While i've seen praise, in part on this forum, i've also seen many negative opinions and reactions towards it in similar numbers overall. Though the negative opinions seem to have been more about feeling the stories and characterization are boring or uninteresting rather than terrible. Hence why i consider the writing to have been of mixed reception.

However even if their writing is much better received overall than what my perception tells me, there is the question of how this positive reaction relates to a buying readership, especialy among those who are still fans and readers of the original New Mutants and X-force?

Because these groups could be largely seperated from another or even in opposition of opinions when it comes to the current series and it's writer.

Which is why i found it questionable to advertise the anniversary special with so much references towards the original New Mutants and X-force series (even throwing in a Deadpool appearance because he first showed up while the series was not yet renamed X-force despite having allready undergone a shift in style and characterization), but then leave the stories entirely in the hands of the current title's writer (and another young writer with little history on it) who might potentialy be less than popular with these readers/fans of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Reviews for this run have been pretty good but this was clearly a case of Mavel being like “Oop we can advertise this issue as an anniversary issue even though we didn’t do the necessary prep to make that mean anything meaningful.”
    I get that impression too.

Though for the X-force 30th anniversary last year they bothered to get Liefeld back (for better or worse). Hence why it feels odd that would not have realized the 40th anniversary for New Mutants was around the corner and plan the nostalgia aspect of it (which is also a usefull backup in case the current writer isn't popular with the classic fans) accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    And they'll give the 2003 New Mutants cast their own variant cover, right? Right, Marvel? You know everyone wants to see more of Hellion and his Academy X friends.
    Oh true. They should have their 20th anniversary next year. Surely they will get their own special right? RIGHT?

Considering that her warped appearance was in part the result of her powers going haywire upon activation (and her state of mind at the time), rather than being her natural appearance as a mutant, it was more comparable to a person who was the victim of an accident with resulting scarring.

So what Masque did could fall more into an allegory for reconstructive plastic surgery, which can be a huge benefit to a recovering person's mental health.

If she actualy retains her current mutated appearance, even if she gained enough control over her powers to willingly be able to alter it, the story would have arguably reached the message of self acceptance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

I don’t know looks pretty good and definitely better than second cover where he looks like he did 25yrs ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have most of these stories written by the people who actualy did create the popular stories and character moments they are alluding to, rather than a current writer who's output has been of mixed reception?

Otherwise it seems the reader would do well to prepare for being underwhelmed.
    Those writers never evolved and are stuck in the 80s. The Krakoan era is all about reinventing what it means to be a mutant.

So the big news is that Alyssa Wong is taking over New Mutants, isn't she ?
    I hope Alaya gets another title, I mostly like their writing and themes.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    So the big news is that Alyssa Wong is taking over New Mutants, isn't she ?
    I hope Alaya gets another title, I mostly like their writing and themes.
    Is she though? Where has that been confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Is she though? Where has that been confirmed?

“What an honor to come aboard NEW MUTANTS for its 40th anniversary!” Wong said.
    I might be jumping to conclusions but I think it hints at that.

Or she's maybe doing a Deadpool book afterwards ?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I might be jumping to conclusions but I think it hints at that.

Or she's maybe doing a Deadpool book afterwards ?
    Oh I see what you mean. I can definitely see a relaunch in the book's short-term future, maybe as early as the issue after this anniversary one since the solicit doesn't seem to be hinting at the start of a new story-arc by Ayala.

Edit: I forgot there's also a story coming up with Escapade by a guest-writer so I assume any relaunch would happen after that.
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 06-08-2022 at 03:07 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have most of these stories written by the people who actualy did create the popular stories and character moments they are alluding to, rather than a current writer who's output has been of mixed reception?

Otherwise it seems the reader would do well to prepare for being underwhelmed.
    Ayala New Mutants has consistently been the best written book of the past 12+ months so Idk where this mixed reception nonsense is coming from the only issue with the book has been Marvel undermining it.

Anole has a metal arm?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

> Anniversary issue.
    > No Claremont, Simonson or Liefield.

Damn, bro.

When did Cosmar get skinny? I'm so not here for this fat erasure.
    She wasn't fat tho. Her reality bending powers disfigured her body.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Anole has a metal arm?
    It looks like the shadow effect made his left arm darker but yeah it does look robotic.
    "Cable was right!"