Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sooraya literally HAS no family, they're missing and have been since before her debut. That actually came up when she joined the Champions - she'd avoided X-Men Disassembled, and being sucked into Age of X-Man, because she was away trying to track them down (and not having any luck). Then she was attacked by racists. Cyclops didn't want her to go with his X-Men because they were basically running suicide missions. Which is why he suggested that she should join the Champions instead, and asked Kamala to recruit her. Dust would remain with the team until Outlawed, at which point she went to Krakoa.
    You just proved everything I said about Sooraya.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    Yes specifically. I may be millennial trash but I watched Sailor Moon as a kid which was about an everyday kid who gets powers through her connection to a fallen ancient kingdom on the Moon, and things clicked.
    Ohhh I loved Sailor Moon! Not seeing the apparent connection to Ms Marvel tho...The ancient kingdom?? Kamalas connect to the inhumans is wholly different than Serene's who finds out shes the reincarnated moon princess

I invite you to read the issue in which she first appears, New X-Men #133, then read Ms Marvel #1, and then think about why one of them is a star of her own D+ series and an upcoming film, and the other is a star of a couple articles titled "15 coolest mutants nobody's heard of".
    Well Kamala first intro she was pining over breakfast pork and got invited to a high school party. Dust...Well Dusts intro had her being saved from being sold into slavery after she killed her captors by flaying the skin from their bones.

Soooo you can see how one story would work better having a cartoon on Disney lol
    Kamala was created at a time where Inhumans were pushed by corporate mandate AND controversial at the same time, which allowed her to be A) linked to a cool ancient civilization and B) not get immediately sucked into their larger story but tell her own. She was largely self contained, had her own supporting characters and a personality.
    Ehhhh gonna have to say Dust's character was more controversial
    Who are Sooraya's family and friends? What are her favourite things and what does she teach the audience about her culture? They didn't even give her a FACE for crying out loud. .
    Her family is kidnapped at start of her intro soooo and preetty Surge and Could be counted as Dusts buddies I learned she wears a niqua+Abaya not a burka . Pashtun is a region in Afghanistan. Turrab means sand ...and as for a face? lol she's covered pretty throughly in a style of dress specific to her. Sooo showing off her face would be kinda killing the whole point/aesthetic+ having a female Religiously dressed Afghani hero was a pretty bold move so soon after the 9/11 attacks

Sooraya literally HAS no family, they're missing and have been since before her debut.
    Lol riiiiight
    GrindrStone(D)

Yeah, I get it was 2002 but the whole issue is a pileup of stereotypes upon stereotypes. There's a Muslim terrorist on a plane with a bomb up his ass (lmao) guess who gets the save the day? Xavier and Jean. They are flying around the world collecting minorities like Pokemon, putting them in a school and never letting them be the main character. I mean arguably right now we have a golden age for publishing mutant titles and who is at the front and center of them all?

Just saw a guy on Twitter proudly declare he never gave a f*** about Kamala and/or Carol, but he's happy with the change as long as it leads back to Rogue, and that right there is the X-men fandom in one sentence.
    I kind of wanna see Feige announce a Mutant series at SDCC, but have NOBODY from the OGs in the roster and only the newer kids. And then watch the fandom start REEEEEing because they never cared for all the small fish like Dust, they were just props and decoration.

Yeah. Why did Dust end up in the Champions in the first place? Because the X books hadn't been using her!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, I get it was 2002 but the whole issue is a pileup of stereotypes upon stereotypes. There's a Muslim terrorist on a plane with a bomb up his ass (lmao) guess who gets the save the day? Xavier and Jean. They are flying around the world collecting minorities like Pokemon, putting them in a school and never letting them be the main character. I mean arguably right now we have a golden age for publishing mutant titles and who is at the front and center of them all?
    Huh? Pileup? the terrorist was a bit much but the way Xavier and Jean handled was stylistically cool. I dont see how anything else from the issue considered stereotypical Having a non-westernized Muslim mutant was pretty controversial, the fact that Dust was roccking the niqabi there was little to no fear of her being mistaken for another brown mutant, During a time when even looking Muslim could be cause for harassment Dust refusing to conform was bad ass. Annnd The only place they flew to was Mumbaii and it wasn't even to 'collect' Dust
    Just saw a guy on Twitter proudly declare he never gave a f*** about Kamala and/or Carol, but he's happy with the change as long as it leads back to Rogue, and that right there is the X-men fandom in one sentence.
    I honestly have no idea what that you or the tweet are supposed to be implying.
    I kind of wanna see Feige announce a Mutant series at SDCC, but have NOBODY from the OGs in the roster and only the newer kids. And then watch the fandom start REEEEEing because they never cared for all the small fish like Dust, they were just props and decoration.
    Liiike the Gifted? But seriously DO you see how many characters have appreciation threads on the forums. you put a buncha obscure mutants as the main focus in ANYthing (comic, tv show, movie, play, tiktok) and any complaining fans MIGHT do, would be drowned out by the praises of those 'obscure' characters fans.

Yeah. Why did Dust end up in the Champions in the first place? Because the X books hadn't been using her!
    I meeeean you cant use every character al the time in a team book
    GrindrStone(D)

Because Zub liked her I guess?

Ms. Marvel Might as Well Become a Mutant In the Comics, Too
    https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-mutant...marvel-comics/
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

S y n e r g y strikes again

That article suggests that her friendship with Cyclops could be used for a mutant retcon.

Though there's another possibility the article doesn't mention: Gwenpool. Kamala's the one who suggested to Gwen that she was a mutant in Gwenpool Strikes Back, prompting her to try a portal successfully. She's been on Krakoa since (though I think the Hellfire Gala writer forgot that as she apparently had to rope in the writer to get an invite to the gala). Of course, Gwen's mutant ability is reality warping, perceived as travelling through comic book panels (which means she can also time travel). There was no sign of the X-gene being the explanation for her powers in her original series, she was supposed to be from another universe (ours, in fact). Did she use her powers to alter her own origin when Kamala suggested she could be a mutant? If so, she can do it for anyone else. All she has to do is tell Kamala she's a mutant too, and bam, she'll be changed into one on the spot. The same method could be used to undo all the "this character is not a mutant" retcons as well.

Though, it would really be more organic just to go the hybrid route. They're not going to stop selling the No Normal TPB after all, so the original Inhuman related origin will still be out there.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-18-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

This articles is just disgusting. It's articles like these that foment the hate towards the inhumans and the belittling of them. Also, why does she have to be mutant to have any connection with a mutant? She teamed up with humans and mutants being an inhuman. I don't see why she would have to change except for synergy because it isn't going to add to her character. How would she feel about living in a country that wouldn't allow her family in because they are a different species?

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    How would she feel about living in a country that wouldn't allow her family in because they are a different species?
    What would she even do in Krakoa anyway? Participate in gladiator fights and orgies or whatever the hell it is they're up to nowadays?

Astonishing Member

What would she even do in Krakoa anyway? Participate in gladiator fights and orgies or whatever the hell it is they're up to nowadays?
    If she doesn't go then she gets treated weird by Mutants.

...so, what are the currents odds that Kamala is retconned into a mutant in the comics?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    ...so, what are the currents odds that Kamala is retconned into a mutant in the comics?
    It apparently already happened in the Ms. Marvel/Wolverine one-shot

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It apparently already happened in the Ms. Marvel/Wolverine one-shot
    Isn't that coming out next month? Did I miss something?