Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope they handle this better than the What If episode, but I feel like this will still be as quippy and cutesy judging by the designs/animation.

Red Guardian is totally biting it first.
    It's rated TV-MA so

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It's rated TV-MA so
    Yeah, the designs definitely and style don't look TV-MA .

Hi all. Watched the first two episodes of Ms. Marvel. Oh god, this show brought a huge smile to my face, basically within the first minute. Having been a teacher in Jersey City for four years and who had MANY South Asian, Muslim, and/or Pakistani students, there were SOOO many things that were relatable. Indeed, Kamala was an amalgamation of many past students. The school cliques, the social media, the lights in the bedrooms (seriously so many students for some reason have their rooms like nightclubs it's insane), the geeking out over comics (well for many of my kids it's manga and anime, though there were quite a few Marvel/DC fans as well), I've seen all of these things as a teacher. I've also met my fair share of parents like Kamala's who can be simultaneously well-meaning and restrictive.

The South Asian life in Jersey City seemed to be shown well. The mosque remind me of the mosques and Hindu and Sikh temples throughout the city. The fair scene reminded me of the fairs and charitable events held by those mosques and temples. The stores remind me of those in Little India. And of course Jersey City's murals were on point as well. Walk on Central Ave or through downtown JC and you'll be surrounded by some really awesome street art. Even the music struck me. It reminds me of the artists that my students suggested I listen to.

As for the storytelling itself, it hits the marks. Family tension, love triangle, trying to be a good superhero but messing up, all of these are classic Marvel hallmarks. I like Kamala's head in the clouds/fangirl personality because well, that's me. And I think that's many of us posters.

Now, I came into this with some knowledge of the show. I tried to avoid some spoilers, but I really couldn't because they're in the titles of some comicbook website articles. I've a vague notion of what will happen next. Even so, the story is compelling.

Looking forward to finishing the rest of the series this weekend.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Watched the first two episodes of Ms. Marvel. Oh god, this show brought a huge smile to my face, basically within the first minute. Having been a teacher in Jersey City for four years and who had MANY South Asian, Muslim, and/or Pakistani students, there were SOOO many things that were relatable. Indeed, Kamala was an amalgamation of many past students. The school cliques, the social media, the lights in the bedrooms (seriously so many students for some reason have their rooms like nightclubs it's insane), the geeking out over comics (well for many of my kids it's manga and anime, though there were quite a few Marvel/DC fans as well), I've seen all of these things as a teacher. I've also met my fair share of parents like Kamala's who can be simultaneously well-meaning and restrictive.

The South Asian life in Jersey City seemed to be shown well. The mosque remind me of the mosques and Hindu and Sikh temples throughout the city. The fair scene reminded me of the fairs and charitable events held by those mosques and temples. The stores remind me of those in Little India. And of course Jersey City's murals were on point as well. Walk on Central Ave or through downtown JC and you'll be surrounded by some really awesome street art. Even the music struck me. It reminds me of the artists that my students suggested I listen to.

As for the storytelling itself, it hits the marks. Family tension, love triangle, trying to be a good superhero but messing up, all of these are classic Marvel hallmarks. I like Kamala's head in the clouds/fangirl personality because well, that's me. And I think that's many of us posters.

Now, I came into this with some knowledge of the show. I tried to avoid some spoilers, but I really couldn't because they're in the titles of some comicbook website articles. I've a vague notion of what will happen next. Even so, the story is compelling.

Looking forward to finishing the rest of the series this weekend.
    I sincerely hope your enjoyment isn't dimmed over the next four episodes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Kamala's interactions with the Unbelieveable Gwenpool.
    https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-gwenpol-mutant-marvel/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Kamala's interactions with the Unbelieveable Gwenpool.
    https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-gwenpol-mutant-marvel/
    She basically helped save her, in a way...while still being oblivious .

Yeah, it's what TV Tropes calls a Cassandra Truth, in this case that Gwen was actually right about them being in a comic book. Of course only people like Deadpool and She-Hulk would believe Gwen when she mentions it. Kamala just thought she was mentally ill.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Red Guardian is totally biting it first.
    If he is written as badly as in the BW movie I would not mind that. If he he written more in line with his early comic appearances as 'the honorable enemy' and a capable super soldier then I hope he stays around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    If he is written as badly as in the BW movie I would not mind that. If he he written more in line with his early comic appearances as 'the honorable enemy' and a capable super soldier then I hope he stays around.
    I foresee them playing up his BW personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    If he is written as badly as in the BW movie I would not mind that.
    He was depicted as a washed out has-been in that, right?

Well, compared to his introduction in the movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I sincerely hope your enjoyment isn't dimmed over the next four episodes.
    Ha, well, I think there were some places that could improve. Overall though, I enjoyed it. It fell off a little bit in the last episode, but it was still good. (I've noticed that many of the Disney Plus Marvel shows tend to fumble the last episode in terms of action and/or special effects. They're all passable but they could be better.) Again, the series really appealed to my Jersey City roots. I know that there have been fundamental changes to the character. However, I'm open to them mainly because I haven't followed Ms. Marvel that much in terms of her comics.

In any case here are my thoughts in depth:

- Like I said before, I really liked the South Asian/Muslim elements here. The wedding in episode 3 reminded me of dances my kids would do during Diwali's. The talk of British partition and the dramatized historical scenes of the formation of Pakistan reminds me of real conversations my students have had. I'll say that some students I've met wonder why there is tension between Indians and Pakistanis. I'll also say I've had a Hindu student who could be rather firm against Islam and Muslims. On a deeper level, watching Kamala's family deal with family trauma because of politics and ethnicity really resonated with me. It reminded me of my own family.

- Regarding this reworking of Ms. Marvel, yeah I could see why long-term fans are frustrated. Clan Destine? Hard light constructs? Mutant? When does Ms. Marvel stop being Ms. Marvel? As someone who has a scattering of Ms. Marvel issues and appearances, I was okay with the changes. They didn't detract from the essence of the character. For instance, Ms. Marvel isn't "embiggening" with huge limbs but is instead using hard light constructs. Her powers don't come from Terrigen Mists which activated a latent Inhuman gene, but instead an x-gene. Though the origins may change, I think the core of the powers are still intact.

- The final scene at the school as a little bit "Home Alone" and a little "WTF." Zoe and Kamala's brother just happen to be there? Some science experiments and softballs stop Damage Control? The power of friendship and community? Yeah, these things were stretches, but they made sense.

- I read some fans feel that the last episode was "copaganda." Was it? I think the show does make a statement about Muslims being under scrutiny from a police-esque force. And it is rooted in fact. About a decade or so ago, the NYPD conducted massive and furtive surveillance on numerous mosques, Muslim neighborhoods, and university Muslim student groups throughout the NY/NJ area. I think within the show this represented through Damage Control. Could members of the JCPD stand with Ms. Marvel though? It's possible. Yes, police had surveillance on mosques. But I know some mosques who have worked with police. I know some police that feel very much a part of the community.

Overall, the show was good. Will elements from the show carry over into the comics? It looks like that right? I wouldn't mind.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ha, well, I think there were some places that could improve. Overall though, I enjoyed it. It fell off a little bit in the last episode, but it was still good. (I've noticed that many of the Disney Plus Marvel shows tend to fumble the last episode in terms of action and/or special effects. They're all passable but they could be better.) Again, the series really appealed to my Jersey City roots. I know that there have been fundamental changes to the character. However, I'm open to them mainly because I haven't followed Ms. Marvel that much in terms of her comics.

- Like I said before, I really liked the South Asian/Muslim elements here. The wedding in episode 3 reminded me of dances my kids would do during Diwali's. The talk of British partition and the dramatized historical scenes of the formation of Pakistan reminds me of real conversations my students have had. I'll say that some students I've met wonder why there is tension between Indians and Pakistanis. I'll also say I've had a Hindu student who could be rather firm against Islam and Muslims. On a deeper level, watching Kamala's family deal with family trauma because of politics and ethnicity really resonated with me. It reminded me of my own family.

- Regarding this reworking of Ms. Marvel, yeah I could see why long-term fans are frustrated. Clan Destine? Hard light constructs? Mutant? When does Ms. Marvel stop being Ms. Marvel? As someone who has a scattering of Ms. Marvel issues and appearances, I was okay with the changes. They didn't detract from the essence of the character. For instance, Ms. Marvel isn't "embiggening" with huge limbs but is instead using hard light constructs. Her powers don't come from Terrigen Mists which activated a latent Inhuman gene, but instead an x-gene. Though the origins may change, I think the core of the powers are still intact.

- The final scene at the school as a little bit "Home Alone" and a little "WTF." Zoe and Kamala's brother just happen to be there? Some science experiments and softballs stop Damage Control? The power of friendship and community? Yeah, these things were stretches, but they made sense.

- I read some fans feel that the last episode was "copaganda." Was it? I think the show does make a statement about Muslims being under scrutiny from a police-esque force. And it is rooted in fact. About a decade or so ago, the NYPD conducted massive and furtive surveillance on numerous mosques, Muslim neighborhoods, and university Muslim student groups throughout the NY/NJ area. I think within the show this represented through Damage Control. Could members of the JCPD stand with Ms. Marvel though? It's possible. Yes, police had surveillance on mosques. But I know some mosques who have worked with police. I know some police that feel very much a part of the community.

Overall, the show was good. Will elements from the show carry over into the comics? It looks like that right? I wouldn't mind.
    I feel like Clan Destine and Damage Control definitely didn't feel very "Ms. Marvel" to me, as someone who read the entire G. Willow Wilson run front and back.

Extraordinary Member

Well, compared to his introduction in the movie...
    Yes....in the opening he was shown to be a capable spec ops guy...then from the prison break onward he was portrayed as fat, drunk and stupid.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'd generally concur with most of your points, as someone who's been following and enjoying Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan since the beginning myself. However, I'd also note on the whole issue of policing vis-a-vis American Muslim communities that, while the institution as a whole is in need of serious reassessment and reform, it doesn't come off so farfetched for some local officers who know, respect, and even trust people in those communities to at least err on the side of giving those people the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming the absolute worst and acting accordingly on account of religious and cultural differences.

Beyond that, I did like Kamala's point to Kamran about there being "no normal" --- which, if I recall right, was addressed earlier in a Young Avengers comic during Allan Heinberg's initial 2000s run, though more about the subtle distinction between "average" and "normal," with the ultimate reasoning that "normal" was something of a mirage --- and how what mattered was "what you do with what you have." A (somewhat) subtler, but no less profound version of, "With great power, there must also come great responsibility," especially given that her Jersey City community standing up for her alter ego as their local hero despite Damage Control claiming her to be a threat and a menace was rather reminiscent of New Yorkers rallying behind Spider-Man in the first two Sam Raimi films in spite of the negative press from J. Jonah Jameson and The Daily Bugle.

All in all, even with many (if not most) of the changes to the nature and background of her powers, I thought the core of the character remained intact, speaking as someone who'd been following and reading her comics since the beginning, so that was a plus for me.
    The spider is always on the hunt.