Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exuin View Post
    I know this sounds really bad but Kamala being Muslim kinda put me off from the comic. Now before you all get out your pitchforks I loved the Ms. Marvel comic and I understand that representation is important and that those anti-woke idiots are just racists, misogynists, homophobes, transphobes, etc. But I really don't like religion and religious characters. I think I would have the same problem with Daredevil being Catholic if I read his comics (I don't, so I don't know if it's been brought up as much as Kamala's religion has). It just makes me roll my eyes when she has to follow arbitrary rules that she doesn't want to. And there was that "anarcho-atheist" character that I actually agreed with being presented as some kind of joke who was wrong. I don't know why they bothered to include him if they weren't going to expand on the idea of religion being oppressive.

We do get some of Kamala questioning her faith in her god when her father gets sick, but that doesn't go anywhere, since I doubt Marvel is going to suddenly make their most popular Muslim superhero an atheist. Though that would be cool to see for me. I mean, how can you argue that benevolent god exists when so much awful things happen in the Marvel universe and in real life?
    Interesting point you raise there, though I should mention, if that's what you're interested in, there is something of an arc going on currently with Nightcrawler of the X-Men that might be more along the lines of what you bring up, insofar as his efforts to create a new set of guiding principles (which is what religion generally is) for the mutant nation of Krakoa without (so many of) the pitfalls of the various permutations of Christianity, Catholicism included, to say nothing of the other Abrahamic faiths.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Exuin View Post
    I know this sounds really bad but Kamala being Muslim kinda put me off from the comic. Now before you all get out your pitchforks I loved the Ms. Marvel comic and I understand that representation is important and that those anti-woke idiots are just racists, misogynists, homophobes, transphobes, etc. But I really don't like religion and religious characters. I think I would have the same problem with Daredevil being Catholic if I read his comics (I don't, so I don't know if it's been brought up as much as Kamala's religion has). It just makes me roll my eyes when she has to follow arbitrary rules that she doesn't want to. And there was that "anarcho-atheist" character that I actually agreed with being presented as some kind of joke who was wrong. I don't know why they bothered to include him if they weren't going to expand on the idea of religion being oppressive.

We do get some of Kamala questioning her faith in her god when her father gets sick, but that doesn't go anywhere, since I doubt Marvel is going to suddenly make their most popular Muslim superhero an atheist. Though that would be cool to see for me. I mean, how can you argue that benevolent god exists when so much awful things happen in the Marvel universe and in real life?
    Personally I don't see her as a very religious character.

Like, she's at the Mosque a few times, and a Sheikh is part of her supporting cast...but her brother is much more devout than she is and her Faith only really comes up maybe 2-3 times across the entire G. Willow Wilson run.

Not to get into a theological debate (although canonically in the MU all Gods exist and one is Jack Kirby) but I don't think it's that significant to Kamala beyond her ethnic background.

I think you'd love Jason Aaron's Thor run though .
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Interesting point you raise there, though I should mention, if that's what you're interested in, there is something of an arc going on currently with Nightcrawler of the X-Men that might be more along the lines of what you bring up, insofar as his efforts to create a new set of guiding principles (which is what religion generally is) for the mutant nation of Krakoa without (so many of) the pitfalls of the various permutations of Christianity, Catholicism included, to say nothing of the other Abrahamic faiths.
    And he actually went to Heaven! And was an actual priest, I think.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

They mention in Legion of X that he's not technically an actual Catholic priest since it was all a plot to fake the Rapture (despite that...not being a Catholic belief), but does consider himself one since he did the oaths and all that.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-31-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Yeah, Kamala doesn't truly believe in Allah. She knows the Greek and Norse Gods are real after all, so the Abrahamic (Allah/God/Yanweh) deity isn't the only god like the Koran and Bible claim He is! She does however, follow the moral lessons that the faith teaches.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Kamala doesn't truly believe in Allah. She knows the Greek and Norse Gods are real after all, so the Abrahamic (Allah/God/Yanweh) deity isn't the only god like the Koran and Bible claim He is! She does however, follow the moral lessons that the faith teaches.
    I don't think she's ever said that. She's just not, like, a fervent believer or as devout as her brother.

I mean, if all Gods are real there's probably some variant of Allah.

Lost something, Kamala?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Mohan Kapur, who plays Kamala's dad in the MCU, has been accused of some pretty problematic stuff on Twitter. Depending on how this goes, we could be dealing with a recast in the future, or Yusuf just being written out of the MCU completely. :x

Yeesh .

Something tells me the character will be killed in the movie and in the comic.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Something tells me the character will be killed in the movie and in the comic.
    I don't think the comics will be affected at all. They shouldn't, really. As for the MCU... I don't know. The movie was already fully shot before all of this came out, so maybe The Marvels isn't affected. Or maybe they do last minute reshoots to add a death scene. I would prefer if they just recast, though. Kamala having both parents in her life should be important, but then again, it's the same universe that killed Aunt May so early on in Peter Parker's life, so who knows....

No reshoots needed. If they kill him off, it'd happen off screen and just be revealed in the first episode of Ms. Marvel season 2 - assuming they do another season (I know the cast want to).

And yeah, no reason to off him in the comics. Just like they won't age up comics Kamala past college age any time soon (she has a job now, so is presumably 18), even though in the MCU, she will of course age in real time and therefore won't remain a teenager beyond 2026 (if she's 16 now, the age she was in the comics when she started out, that's when the character turns 20 - I know the actress Iman Vellani is a few years older).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-03-2022 at 08:06 AM.

Sucks that one of the best dads in the MCU got played by a creep.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

You guys think the inevitable mutant retcon will come before or after The Marvels comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    You guys think the inevitable mutant retcon will come before or after The Marvels comes out?
    I mean, I want to think there isn't much point to it in the comics, but it probably depends on a lot of factors.