Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Marvel’s Voices: Iceman Infinity Comic #2 Spoilers

Issue #1 Recap: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...mic-1-Spoilers

Once again, Vecchio knocks it out of the park, making quantum leaps in Bobby’s development by thoughtfully and respectfully leaning into his history and introducing new challenges and dynamics that will surely reverberate throughout his upcoming adventures.

Disaster Site. The issue opens on Bobby and Romeo sharing a kiss, after which Bobby hopes aloud, “Please don’t be Raven.” Romeo responds, “Nice to see you too, Bobby. Who’s Raven?”

Los Angeles, California. Presumably, after an intimate recoupling, Bobby and Romeo snuggle in bed and catch-up. Bobby asks, “And this deep, grown-up version [of you]? Seriously, how did this happen?”

Later, during a walk and over ice creams, Romeo reveals, “An accident with a royal inhuman diplomatic mission sent me dimension-jumping. I was lost and nomading parallel realities for about a decade. And when I finally found my way back, only a short time had passed here.” Bobby responds knowingly, “Wow. Time travel is a mess.” Some time passes, and Romeo asks, “So, as Kid-Bobby, you went back in time and willingly erased your memory, sacrificed all your growth and your truth and happiness just to preserve the timeline?” Bobby responds, “It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.” “I think that’s incredibly selfless and heroic—more than you give yourself credit for,” insists Romeo. “Hm. I never thought of it that way,” notes Bobby. “Sometimes I don’t know why I do what I do…” But before Bobby can continue, he is interrupted by a fan, Julian, who ranks him as his “favorite X-Man…after Rictor.” Julian asks for a selfie and an autograph and says to Bobby, “It’s so cool to have icons like you representing for us.” “That’s awesome! So you’re a mutant too,” assumes Bobby. Julian clarifies, “No! I mean for us LGBTQIA+ people. It means a lot!”

After Julian walks away—suddenly, a Kaiju attacks the city. Bobby and Romeo jump into action, and Bobby is momentarily overwhelmed by the beast’s “telepathic noise.” Julian counters the Kaiju’s noise with his empathic abilities and encourages Bobby to “Focus!” They lure the Kaiju towards the ocean, after which Bobby creates a massive ice golem the same size as the beast. Bobby calls him “Ice-Zord,” and Romeo suggests “Bli-Zord,” to which Bobby playfully responds, “Wow. Marry me.” Romeo asks, “What?”, and Bobby responds with the same question. Bobby via the golem restrains the Kaiju, and Romeo uses his empathic powers to “pacify him.” Romeo notes, “Bobby, he’s reacting to the [ice] restraints with…comfort?” Bobby envelops the Kaiju in ice, and Romeo reveals, “He’s feeling relief and gratitude now…It seems the melting of the iceberg that contained him interrupted his hibernation process, and he woke up in a confused berserk mode.” They say their affectionate goodbyes and part because, as Bobby reveals, he wants to “make it in time for my commitment…”

The Climate Action Summit. Bobby is giving a speech on climate change and mutants’ role in ameliorating it. He notes, “I can’t solve climate change on my own. I can put polar Band-Aids and fight unfrozen aliens, but Earth is a delicate living organism, and it can’t be terraformed like Mars without unbalancing things even more…It’s up to the people in great power to take the great responsibility and make structural changes. Because, rest assured, mutants will survive a human-caused climate catastrophe. But the rest of you won’t. And we’d still like to share the world we all live in.” Before he can continue, he receives a text message and leaves the summit in haste. “Not again not again not again…” he says to himself, as he speeds to an unknown destination, cutting through Krakoa to get there.

Hospital. “I’m too late. He’s gone. Dad is gone,” Bobby says. “No last words. No final confrontation or resolution.” We learn frobus nurse that Bobby’s father “refused to take the mutant medicine” he sent him. Later, Bobby’s mother says to him, “You and your people seem to always be cheating death somehow,” before asking, “But that’s not for us, is it?” “Thanks, Mom, I really need the guilt trip right now,” Bobby thinks to himself.

Funeral. Bobby briefly listens to friends and loved ones talk glowingly about his father before he thinks, “I can’t with this. I need someone who understands me.” He texts someone and asks, “Hey, can I come over?”

Bedroom. Bobby and a blonde man—Christian Frost?—lay nude in bed together. “I didn’t expect this,” says the man. Bobby responds, “Me neither. To be honest…sometimes I don’t know why I do what I do.”

To be continued!
    Last edited by Mercury; 06-08-2022 at 02:06 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Romeo looks so much like Dorian from Dragon Age.

Gah, I hope this mini gets printed. I'd like a physical copy.

First we get a Julian Keller cameo, now we get another character named Julian. The Hellion references are piling up. Look, Mr. Vecchio. If you're flirting with me, you can come right out and say it. No need to be shy.

Really liking the story so far. I like how Bobby's powers are used in fun ways. I like how he's responsible and mature, while still being fun. I like how his romantic life is more than just one, squeaky-clean love interest. I like how he's put into these situations where he's losing control. It's great.

Icemom complains that mutants cheat death and humans can't, yet Icedad refused mutant medicine that could have prolonged his life or even saved him. It's not a plothole or anything, it's entirely in-character for both of his parents to be myopic. I just thought it was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Really great read. Sad about Bobby's father but also sad that he was stubborn until the very end.

As for the blonde, Simon (Pyro II) popped into my head!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

At least the writer remembered to age up Romeo.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Most likely since we're going through all of (male) affairs.

The current rate he's changing "partners" is the most relatable gay thing I read in a while.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I'm glad that Bobby is getting to have a hoe phase, it's too bad I don't find Vecchio's art remotely sexual.

Sad that Bobby lost his dad, but I can't say that I will miss papa Drake at all.

That's definitely Christian, I think Bobby initially called him because he can sympathize with having a bad, dead dad.

Oh yeah, it's definitely Christian. It's in the eyebrows. Plus we saw Bobby kissing Christian in the Twitter gif promoting this series, so we know what he looks like in Vecchio's style.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

If Christian is making a come back then happy day!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Hot take: I don't love Vechios art. Something about the way he draws faces just looks...off.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Hot take: I don't love Vechios art. Something about the way he draws faces just looks...off.
    It's more like a... cold take.

Good riddance to Papa Drake. If killing him is what it takes to get us one less "yeah, my dad is a bigot, but he really does love me" story, I'm all for it.

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see that particular character taken off the table. His dad was always a big part of Bobby's fear of living fully, and his death gives Bobby more room to move forward as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Good riddance to Papa Drake. If killing him is what it takes to get us one less "yeah, my dad is a bigot, but he really does love me" story, I'm all for it.

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see that particular character taken off the table. His dad was always a big part of Bobby's fear of living fully, and his death gives Bobby more room to move forward as a character.
    Death doesn’t really work like that for some. Yeah he can move forward but there might still be a small part of him that wanted his Dad’s acceptance. That’s just my opinion when I see some one go for a quickie right after a funeral to numb the pain.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Really great read. Sad about Bobby's father but also sad that he was stubborn until the very end.

I'm guessing it's Christian, but Simon also had a sick mother, he could probably relate to Bobby losing a parent due to illness.

BobbysWorld was totally right about Romeo aged up via time travel!