Default Why Stormtroopers are Badasses

This video explains how really good Stormtroopers are in the original trilogy. A great video to watch.

I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I always had the idea that the original stormtroopers were specially trained shock troopers.....but then again, they do get taken out pretty easily by the ewoks in ROTJ.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think this video does it pretty good as well:
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

My personal feelings and thoughts on the matter:

Clone Troopers > Imperial Stormtroopers, and likely on purpose on Palpatine’s end, since he wants no threats to his rule, and a larger, clunkier, more numerous but less efficient military fits that idea.

First Order Stormtroopers > Imperial Stormtroopers, because having less man-power (once not being written by Rian Johnson, at least) means needing more efficient and skilled troopers, even at the cost of some being now too smart to blindly follow orders, leading to Finns and Jannahs… but First Order officers remain roughly equal to Imperial officers, which is why they still get misused compared to the Jedi-led Clone Troopers.

And overall Imperial Stormtroopers = wildly inconsistent levels of skill, experience, and armor standards. Some are just penal soldiers thrown stuff that’s been as well cared for as modern Russia’s armored vehicles, some are flunked out and intentionally misused rogues like Han was in Solo, and most are only trained to a bare minimum of skills, so that they’re like TIE Fighters; numerous and expendable, but kind of crap one-on-one.

I prefer to think that the 501st under Vader is genuinely effective in a manner comparable to the Clone Troopers, but they’re only one group, and while they were still at peak performance in ANH (corralling rather than killing or capturing the heroes, as per Vader’s plan) and ESB (easily taking Echo Base), Palpatine likely filled them with useless officers and sycophants when the time came for Endor to both undercut Vader and reward some of his followers.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    My personal feelings and thoughts on the matter:

Clone Troopers > Imperial Stormtroopers, and likely on purpose on Palpatine’s end, since he wants no threats to his rule, and a larger, clunkier, more numerous but less efficient military fits that idea.

First Order Stormtroopers > Imperial Stormtroopers, because having less man-power (once not being written by Rian Johnson, at least) means needing more efficient and skilled troopers, even at the cost of some being now too smart to blindly follow orders, leading to Finns and Jannahs… but First Order officers remain roughly equal to Imperial officers, which is why they still get misused compared to the Jedi-led Clone Troopers.

And overall Imperial Stormtroopers = wildly inconsistent levels of skill, experience, and armor standards. Some are just penal soldiers thrown stuff that’s been as well cared for as modern Russia’s armored vehicles, some are flunked out and intentionally misused rogues like Han was in Solo, and most are only trained to a bare minimum of skills, so that they’re like TIE Fighters; numerous and expendable, but kind of crap one-on-one.

I prefer to think that the 501st under Vader is genuinely effective in a manner comparable to the Clone Troopers, but they’re only one group, and while they were still at peak performance in ANH (corralling rather than killing or capturing the heroes, as per Vader’s plan) and ESB (easily taking Echo Base), Palpatine likely filled them with useless officers and sycophants when the time came for Endor to both undercut Vader and reward some of his followers.
    All of this. Agreed completely.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.