Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253545556 LastLast

I don't think it's important to define Jan. 6 as a "coup" or not. What it's important to bear in mind is that it was an illegal and violent invasion of the Capitol - encouraged by the POTUS and others around him - that could've had even worse results (imagine they catch Pence or Pelosi).

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Let's not forget that we already had guilty verdicts for seditious conspiracy.
    That automatically makes it more than vandalism and trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Let's not forget that we already had guilty verdicts for seditious conspiracy.
    That automatically makes it more than vandalism and trespassing.
    It is more than vandalism and trespassing, for sure. It wasn't an "innocent demonstration", like many on the far right try to say, by any standards.

My only thing on the "coup" or "not a coup" discussion is that, if anything, this was a disorganized violent mob that probably didn't exactly know what they wanted to achieve, outside of violently invading the capitol and potentially murdering elected officials.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I don't think it's important to define Jan. 6 as a "coup" or not. What it's important to bear in mind is that it was an illegal and violent invasion of the Capitol - encouraged by the POTUS and others around him - that could've had even worse results (imagine they catch Pence or Pelosi).
    It is, in fact, very important to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It is, in fact, very important to do so.
    The invasion of the Capitol, in itself, constitutes (or should constitute) seditious conspiracy:

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2384

You don't need to prove that they tried to overthrow the government (coup) for those actions to constitute sedition. In fact, trying to define Jan. 6 as a "coup" just increases the burden of proof.

The invasion of the Capitol, in itself, constitutes (or should constitute) seditious conspiracy:

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2384

You don't need to prove that they tried to overthrow the government (coup) for those actions to constitute sedition.
    It is, in fact, important that we understand what this was in service to, and to whom, and that it was a multi-layered, sophisticated plan with backing at the highest levels of power. It was a coup. We need to call it a coup. It's that simple. We're not talking about the US Code here.

It is, in fact, important that we understand what this was in service to, and to whom, and that it was a multi-layered, sophisticated plan with backing at the highest levels of power. It was a coup. We need to call it a coup. It's that simple. We're not talking about the US Code here.
    I understand - and I agree with you. But by trying to - legally - prove that this was a coup you are effectively increasing the burden of proof

I understand - and I agree with you. But by trying to prove that this was a coup you are effectively increasing the burden of proof
    That might be true *legally*, in a court of law, sure. Possibly. IANAL, after all.

But the rest of us ought to be able to accurately describe the events of that day for what they are: a coup.

That might be true *legally*, in a court of law, sure. Possibly. IANAL, after all.

But the rest of us ought to be able to accurately describe the events of that day for what they are: a coup.
    Sure

"IANAL" is like the worst acronym ever btw... I_ANAL

(I know what it means)

Well, lawyers gotta be.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Expecting DeSantis to sign a "don't say coup" bill some day.

It's probably safe to assume that DeSantis wants Trump in jail at this point (although technically Trump can run for President from jail)
    Last edited by hyped78; 03-01-2023 at 06:18 AM.

It is more than vandalism and trespassing, for sure. It wasn't an "innocent demonstration", like many on the far right try to say, by any standards.

My only thing on the "coup" or "not a coup" discussion is that, if anything, this was a disorganized violent mob that probably didn't exactly know what they wanted to achieve, outside of violently invading the capitol and potentially murdering elected officials.
    The majority of the mob were disorganized, but hidden by the chaos were groups of highly organized Oath Keepers and Proud boys, all armed and carrying out a coordinated, preconceived plan. They had military grade weapons and improvised explosives concealed nearby and if the Capitol police hadn’t done their jobs well and held off the rioters long enough for representatives to escape things may have gone tragically different.
    The “pro-law enforcement” Republican representatives have, of course shat on those officers at every opportunity since.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The majority of the mob were disorganized, but hidden by the chaos were groups of highly organized Oath Keepers and Proud boys, all armed and carrying out a coordinated, preconceived plan. They had military grade weapons and improvised explosives concealed nearby and if the Capitol police hadn’t done their jobs well and held off the rioters long enough for representatives to escape things may have gone tragically different.
    The “pro-law enforcement” Republican representatives have, of course shat on those officers at every opportunity since.
    You forgot about infiltrated Antifa (I'm kidding!!!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    The above points to the disconnect between freedom and democracy evident in far too many examples but most infamously in their hate speech laws. Voting to repress individuals is the proper use of the mob. Though many americans would agree with this sentiment.
    Sigh. Ok, I'll bite, what laws? Examples, please.

No way, Republicans protect free speech in it's absolutest!
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred