Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Haven't they already revealed that the game-changer at the end of Slott's run is a sister for Reed?

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I liked Slotts run but I am looking forward to a new writer.
    Finger on Monkey's Paw curls, Vita Ayala becomes new writer.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Well, I bought the whole run by Dan Slott, and that says a lot, because I didn’t buy whole runs of anybody else in the last 10 years. Was Slotts Fantastic Four good? It was Marvel Silver Ages first family. The first super hero comic of Marvels silver age was Fantastic Four, so Slotts run was this homage, to me. The FF were shelved after Secret Wars for so long. When they came back, of cause I read them. I started reading Dr Doom in Bendis’ Iron Man because he was the FF. I began reading Marvel 2 in 1 with Ben and Johnny until the FF came back. Who should write the FF after Slott? Bendis for me. I think Bendis missed his chance because he didn’t like writing groups or anything apart from crime comics.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well, I bought the whole run by Dan Slott, and that says a lot, because I didn’t buy whole runs of anybody else in the last 10 years. Was Slotts Fantastic Four good? It was Marvel Silver Ages first family. The first super hero comic of Marvels silver age was Fantastic Four, so Slotts run was this homage, to me. The FF were shelved after Secret Wars for so long. When they came back, of cause I read them. I started reading Dr Doom in Bendis’ Iron Man because he was the FF. I began reading Marvel 2 in 1 with Ben and Johnny until the FF came back. Who should write the FF after Slott? Bendis for me. I think Bendis missed his chance because he didn’t like writing groups or anything apart from crime comics.
    ohh that's interesting in the FF thread I asked if I would enjoy it, seeing your response I may pick it up now because I really enjoyed Bendis' Infamous Iron Man run

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm not a huge Bendis fan but I really liked Infamous Iron Man. I feel like he was the only writer that decided to pick up the challenge as to what to do with Doom when Secret Wars ended. BTW, Bendis's Infamous Iron Man arc finishes up in his last 4 or 5 issues of his Iron Man series. There is some follow up to his relationship with Amara.

Bendis and Chip Zdarsky, who would continue with Doom's Infamous Iron Man in his Marvel 2 in One series had to deal with the situation only half of the Fantastic Four could be used. I'm not sure why we only saw Ben and Johnny for a while but I think mostly it was due to the ongoing negotiations to get the movie rights back from Fox for the Fantastic Four from. Chip Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One series featuring Ben and Johnny is sort of a continuation of Infamous Iron Man. That's a good one to check out too. I'd like to see him take over the Fantastic Four but I think that may not be Marvel's choice. I have no idea who's coming on board next.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-15-2022 at 10:49 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm not a huge Bendis fan but I really liked Infamous Iron Man. I feel like he was the only writer that decided to pick up the challenge as to what to do with Doom when Secret Wars ended. He had to deal with the situation only half of the Fantastic Four could be used. I'm not sure why we only saw Ben and Johnny for a while but I think mostly it was due to the ongoing negotiations to get the movie rights back from Fox for the Fantastic Four from. Chip Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One series featuring Ben and Johnny is sort of a continuation of Infamous Iron Man. That's a good one to check out too. I'd like to see him take over the Fantastic Four but I think that may not be Marvel's choice. I have no idea who's coming on board next.
    I am really curious as to who will take over, I hope the FF gets a superstar writer and not some placeholder writer.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I am really curious as to who will take over, I hope the FF gets a superstar writer and not some placeholder writer.
    My choices would be Chip Zdarsky or Al Ewing. A longshot choice would be Christopher Cantwell but I don't think Marvel would offer it to him. I liked his Doctor Doom series (which was nominated for an Eisner award) and his Iron Man run has been good. He did write an interesting Fantastic Four called Fantastic Four: Road Trip back in 2020r. He also wrote a Christmas issue tie in with the King in Black event that featured a team up Doom and Iron Man fighting Santa Claus (or was it? ) that was pretty funny.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-15-2022 at 11:09 PM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Al Ewing would be my #1 choice, with Cantwell as a good 'huh, didnt think of him, but actually, yeah' option.

Zdarksy would have been top choice, but I can't see him doing a flagship Batman run at the same time as picking up a big F4 run. Might be a bit much for him to manage.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Oh you're right. I forgot he got the Batman job. I don't know if there is some kind of unspoken rule but I wonder if you can have both a short term contract at Marvel and DC.

Fantastic Member

Oh you're right. I forgot he got the Batman job. I don't know if there is some kind of unspoken rule but I wonder if you can have both a short term contract at Marvel and DC.
    No rules against working for both unless you are signed to an exclusive contract. We haven't seen that many big names working for both because those writers are the ones getting the exclusive deals. Though It seems like Marvel and DC are moving away from having a lot of exclusives compared to 5-10 years ago which how you end up with Chip writing Batman and Daredevil.

I have always wanted to see a Kurt Busiek Fantastic Four run, now while he returned to write for Marvel even though they are limited stuff, I got my hopes up again. But I am afraid he might not be kept up to date with the current continuity of MU.

BANNED

I'm not a huge Bendis fan but I really liked Infamous Iron Man. I feel like he was the only writer that decided to pick up the challenge as to what to do with Doom when Secret Wars ended. BTW, Bendis's Infamous Iron Man arc finishes up in his last 4 or 5 issues of his Iron Man series. There is some follow up to his relationship with Amara.

Bendis and Chip Zdarsky, who would continue with Doom's Infamous Iron Man in his Marvel 2 in One series had to deal with the situation only half of the Fantastic Four could be used. I'm not sure why we only saw Ben and Johnny for a while but I think mostly it was due to the ongoing negotiations to get the movie rights back from Fox for the Fantastic Four from. Chip Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One series featuring Ben and Johnny is sort of a continuation of Infamous Iron Man. That's a good one to check out too. I'd like to see him take over the Fantastic Four but I think that may not be Marvel's choice. I have no idea who's coming on board next.
    Since the post Secret Wars era of MTiO was basically a FF extension for the reasons you mentioned, I wish they would become a part of the official numbering so we can push FF's legacy numbering a few issues further.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Since the post Secret Wars era of MTiO was basically a FF extension for the reasons you mentioned, I wish they would become a part of the official numbering so we can push FF's legacy numbering a few issues further.
    Maybe retroactively. At that time Ike Perlmutter didn't want to see anything new titled Fantastic Four going out as long as Fox was holding out on the flim rights. Fox had even hinted at one point they might make another movie. IIRC that would add 8 years to their rights deal. It was probably an empty threat since the most recent one directed by Josh Trank was a box office dud and got negative reviews.