Title- Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #201
    Release Date- January 1986
    Writer- Chris Claremont
    Artist- Rick Leonardi

Major Notes
    Storm returns to the X-Men. First appearance of Nathan Summers aka Cable

Brief Summary

Duel

At the X-Mansion Madelyne Pryor has given birth to a healthy baby boy. The other X-Men are around her as they want to see the new baby. They all comment on how cute he is and while sitting on top of a comfy chair Nightcrawler makes a bit of a joke which leads to Rachel Summers knocking the chair over with her telekinesis. Nightcrawler teleports right to her and tickles her to submission. Madelyne then hands the baby over to KittyPryde while she goes to talk with Storm in private. Kitty is at first nervous to hold the baby but eventually her instincts kicks and she begins to love the baby.

In the hall Madelyne and Storm begin to talk. Madelyne admits that physically she’s fine and she asks about Professor Xavier. Storm tells her that he isn’t coming back and that Magneto is to take his place. She can also sense much anger inside of Madelyne and the new mother states how all the X-Men called her to see how she was, all but her own husband Cyclops. She is very angry about this and she feels that she was lucky that her labour was smooth. She isn’t sure whether Cyclops cares but Storm tries to assure her that he does and he has problems expressing his feelings.

In the other room Kitty hands the baby over to Rachel and she is a little chocked up to be holding her baby brother. She knows that she can’t hide the truth from Cyclops forever. Cyclops himself is looking up to the sky as he thinks about his new son and Xavier. He is also wondering if he can trust Magneto.

Far away on the Starjammers ship are fleeing when Binary arrives on the ship. She has been going over the ship and has discovered that it is crippled and that they’re lucky to still be alive. Xavier is on the ship and he knows that this is partially his fault since they rescued him from near death in Paris. Their star drive has been damaged so they cannot get to get to Earth quickly. They also can’t use the star gates anymore since they are all being heavily guarded. Through normal travel it will take them centuries to reach Earth.

A short time later Xavier is looking at the stars and he tries to spot Earth but it is impossible. Lilandra goes to him and he tells her how he is thinking of his students. He is also second guessing his decision to trust his students to Magneto. Lilandra tells him to be thankful for being alive and they both begin to kiss.

The next day at the X-Mansion Cannonball of the New Mutants is trying to write a paper on the computer but it crashes on him much to his annoyance. He goes to the window to see the X-Men playing baseball. Kitty pitches the ball which Colossus misses to hit causing him to earn a strike. Nightcrawler does have a quick word with Wolverine, he is worried about Cyclops, Madelyne and Rachel. At that moment Kitty pitches again but Colossus armours up hits the ball so hard that it goes miles into the air. Rogue flies up to catch it and a plane is flying nearby. The plane itself is Air Force One and is carrying the then President Ronald Regan. He spots her catching the ball and she even kisses the window before dropping down to the ground.

After the game Kitty is tired and takes a shortcut to her room through one of the classrooms. There she sees Cannonball who is still trying to get his work back from the computer. Kitty is able to help him but it takes longer than she expected and when she continues her journey she runs into Storm who tells her that her ophthalmology appointment has been booked. Kitty is not looking forward to the prospect of wearing glasses. She then hears shouting from Storm’s attic and Storm reveals that Cyclops and Madelyne are borrowing it. Kitty knows that the new parents are having an argument and she wisely decides to stay out of it.

In the attic Cyclops tells Madelyne how he should be leading the team and he can’t leave it to Magneto. Not after their history but Madelyne asks about herself and their new son. He has a responsibility to them and she believes that Storm is more than up to the task of leading the X-Men. Cyclops disagrees due to the fact that Storm is powerless. Madelyne tries to convince him otherwise when Storm enters the attic. She states that one of them should lead the X-Men and that a duel in the Danger Room is the only way to settle it. She gives him a chance to step down which he refuses as he walks out leaving Madelyne with the baby.

Later in the Danger Room the New Mutants are training but Cyclops terminates their exercise so that he and Storm can use it. As word spreads about the duel all the New Mutants and the X-Men cram into the control room so they can watch the duel take place.

Cypher activates the room which turns into a warzone and Cyclops tries to blast Storm but she is able to get out of the way. She then hides in some debris as he tries to search for her.
    She is able to ambush him but he is able to force her off as she dodges his blasts. The others watch on and comment as the duel continues on. Madelyne is still in the attic and she hopes that Cyclops loses. She has already made plans to go home with or without him. She also notices the weather change as the duel continues. Storm is able to gain the upper hand and is able to grab Cyclops’s visor fuss putting him out of commission and winning the duel. Cyclops does congratulate her but he realises that there is no place for him in the team and he wonders if after everything that happens that he has a place with his wife.

That night Rachel goes to the Grey House where she begins to repair the crystal she destroyed. As she does this she transforms into the phoenix herself and on the moon at the spot where the Phoenix died a beam of energy travels to Earth. This is seen by the Watcher and when the crystal is complete Rachel kisses her grandparents and as she leaves the crystal is revealed to show both Jean and Rachel.

My Thoughts

Now we come back to the Uncanny X-Men in an issue that decided on who would lead the X-Men and would also be the last appearance of Professor Xavier for around five or six years. It also has a fairly famous cover that I have seen reproduced once or twice in other comics.

The first thing to really mention is that this issue rather than having art by either John Romita Jr or Dan Green instead we’re treated to the art of Rick Leonardi. I did like his art but it was hard for me to tell a couple of things but it is most likely because the copy I’m reading is in black and white (since I’m using the Essential Graphic Novels which don’t seem to be printed anymore).

One big thing I would also like to point out is although I don’t think he is named but this is the first appearance of Nathan Summers. Right now he’s a little baby but in the future he will become the X-Man and general mutant badass known as Cable. It might be a bit of time before we see him in the way that he is most remembered but even so he is a popular character in the franchise. He is even the only other X-Man besides Wolverine to have a solo series that ran for more than a hundred issues. I will speak more about him when he does appear as Cable.

The main point of this issue was the duel between Cyclops and Storm for leadership of the X-Men. I feel that one of the main reasons why Cyclops lost was the fact that he underestimated Storm. He thought that because she had no powers that she wouldn’t be up to the task but she more than proved that even without her powers she is still a formidable foe. There is even a hint about Storm’s powers returning as seen during Madelyne’s moment while the duel took place.

Madelyne Pryor was also an important character as she was basically having Cyclops choose between X-Men and his new family. I can somewhat see Cyclops’s point since he is the original X-Man but the fact of the matter is that he has a wife and child and he does need to put them before the team. The X-Mansion isn’t the best place to raise a family and I think he wanted to stay because basically he didn’t really know any other life and the fact that he couldn’t trust Magneto. This is understandable because Magneto has tried to kill Cyclops and the other X-Men on more than one occasion.

Once again we see the X-Men playing baseball and it seems to be their favourite past time. We know many of them are big fans of baseball (such as Kitty Pryde who is a fan of the Chicago Cubs). At least this game had a surprise appearance from then President Ronald Regan who Rogue seems to be a fan of. I’m sure if she does vote she definitely would have voted Republican.

The end of the issue does make us believe that Rachel will become the new Phoenix whether it will be for good or evil. I can see readers thinking that this might become the next Phoenix saga but I don’t think it ever pans out. It does develop Rachel more and shows that she is someone to watch.

In conclusion I give this issue a 9 out of 10. It was a great issue to read with many points to think about.

Next Issue
    Longshot (Volume 1) #5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

i miss Cable
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

He's coming back soon. Here's a TPB solicit for March 2016:

image.jpg

Apparently it's a new Cable/Deadpool mini series which appears to be 3 issues.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Deadpool director confirming Cable for Deadpool 2

"There aren’t really many definitive Deadpool villains, apart from Cable. If we don’t put Cable in Deadpool 2 I think we’ll be run out of town on a rail."

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

"There aren’t really many definitive Deadpool villains, apart from Cable. If we don’t put Cable in Deadpool 2 I think we’ll be run out of town on a rail."
    I really hoped for X-Force movie to arrive before Deadpool sequel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

Not sure I'd put Cable as a villain for Deadpool...I don't think that he fits that role...would love to see Domino join Cable in the second movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I really hoped for X-Force movie to arrive before Deadpool sequel.
    Cable & Deadpool then X-Force

“I always see Deadpool running against the grain for everything he does. He can’t possibly conform to any sort of leadership role. He always has to be the wild card. So you’d have to have someone like Cable running point on a team like X-Force. I’d love for that to be a next step that we take.”

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Not sure I'd put Cable as a villain for Deadpool...I don't think that he fits that role...would love to see Domino join Cable in the second movie...
    More like Deadpool in the way of Cable's secret mission from the furure.

Fox Wants To Bring Cable Into The X-Universe

How excited is Fox about Deadpool? They're already kicking around ideas for the sequel. And there's one that has stuck, and - while anything could change between now and whenever the sequel starts shooting - that idea is bringing in Cable.

There was a comic called Cable & Deadpool that was pretty popular for a minute in the mid-2000s, and it melded humor with big action and it had storylines with titles like 'Enema of the State.' The comic saw Deadpool - the Merc with a Mouth - and Cable - the timelost future son of Madelyn Prior (a clone of Jean Grey) and Scott Summers who has a glowing eye, a cyborg arm and a lot of big guns - having adventures without, as far as I can tell, any clear theme.

I've been curious about when Cable would show up in the Fox X-universe. He's a weird character, one with a ton of potential who has not always been used correctly. Imagine him as a Kyle Reese type - born in the present, sent into the future and the returning to the present from a post-apocalyptic world ruled by the evil Apocalypse (his origin is so much more complicated than what I am sketching here. It is insane. Just the fact that his mom is a clone is the tip of the iceberg) - who approaches modern problems with a very military and violent attitude. In the Cable & Deadpool comic the dynamic had Cable looking to turn over a new leaf while Deadpool was pretty much just an *******. I could see the cinematic dynamic featuring a more hardbitten Cable who is constantly irritated by Deadpool's antics.

The question is how Cable would fit into the X-Universe - would he still be Clone Jean and Scott's future kid? Or is all of that way too complicated for the Fox movies? And if Deadpool and Cable team up, does Rob Liefeld - who created them both - get an extra special cameo?

Like I said, anything could change between now and pre-production, but this is the current thinking at Fox: they believe Deadpool is a hit and that Cable should join him onscreen.

UPDATE: Deadpool director Tim Miller told Empire he would like to bring Cable into the sequel. My story comes from a Fox employee, not Empire, but they printed first.

When Cable will appear in X movies I hope his origin won`t be explained. Let it be mistery and just say that he is from future.

Ultimate Member

I'd think that Cable would come back to the present on one mission or another and Deadpool would get in the way probably without meaning to and get himself in a big mess, or maybe Cable and Domino are on a mission and try to use DP as someone that is expendable...

Mighty Member

I tire of the inhibited big gun Cable
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    When Cable will appear in X movies I hope his origin won`t be explained. Let it be mistery and just say that he is from future.
    I think they should keep him a mystery for sure. Hint at it, with his advanced technology/weaponry, sophisticated techno-organic bionic physiology (trademark left torso and glowy eye), as well as knowledge of future events. But don't outright state it. Leave it a mystery for now. I could even envision a scene where he's meditating and he has some horrific visions of a futuristic war, and maybe Psylocke comes in and says "Was that a vision of the future?" and he responds "Stay out of my head. It's full of memories you want no part of." Or something like that. So you could hint very strongly without having to go through his entire origin. Save that for down the road.

Also, I believe that Cable could be the "Nick Fury" of the FOX Marvel-verse. Get an unknown to play the character (like they did for Wolverine), sign him to a 7 or 8-picture deal, and make him the common thread across their various films and spinoffs. He's got connections to Apocalypse, Deadpool, Cyclops, the New Mutants and X-Force in the comics, so he's the perfect person to act as connective tissue between all of these. Plus he was a mercenary who did a lot of wetworks type stuff for the U.S. military too, prior to showing up in the New Mutants comic book. So he could even show up in other places (like a Fantastic Four sequel, assuming FOX ever makes one, which seems unlikely now to be honest).

It seems like they always viewed Wolverine as the connective thread across the X-franchise, mainly due to his military background and exceptionally long life. But with Hugh Jackman now exiting, it's the perfect time to bring in Cable along with other characters (Deadpool, Gambit, the new versions of Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Nightcrawler, etc.) and explore them, while shelving the Wolverine for awhile. His big send off will be Wolverine 3, and if it takes place in the future and is loosely based on Old Man Logan then I could even see them killing him off. At some point they'll recast in the past or present day, though. Of that I'm sure.

However, this is FOX, so who knows what they'll do? They may recast Wolverine immediately and continue shoving him into everything to make him the connector; and they could also horribly screw up all the potential they have with the Cable character. Fingers crossed that they get him right, though, because it is clear from reading comments online and on Twitter that the fans want to see him.

Ultimate Member

I feel like if Deadpool 2 could work as a way to introduce Cable. He and Wade are at odds for most of the film (because they ARE quite different). Then they reach an understanding at the end and team up (thus leading into X-Force).

Agreed. DP2 would be a great place to introduce him, and then have him play a substantial role across the X-films. My sincere hope is that FOX doesn't f@#& this up and just make him some supporting character in the Deadpool films. Played by some old fart. We'll see...fingers crossed.