Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Default The Authority Appreciation Thread 2023

The Authority is a team of super-heroes with extreme methods. Formed out of the remnants of Stormwatch, they care little for politics and law, doing instead whatever it takes to get the job done.
    Read all about The Authority here.

I just realized The Authority didn't have an appreciation thread on here, which is understandable because their comicbook appearances, at least as a team, have been few and far between for the last several years now. And yet good things are coming their way with The Authority movie announced as part of James Gunn's new DCU slate which will hopefully trigger a relaunch in the comics in the not-too-distant future.

So here's a place to discuss everything Authority, share your favourite past stories as well as your hopes and dreams for future comics and movies!

Ultimate Member

I was a huge fan of the original Stormwatch, particularly the characters of Battalion, Winter, Diva and Flint, so was a bit disappointed by their being fridged for the Authority.

But the Engineer, Midnighter and Hawksmoor are really interesting and pretty original concepts, and have interesting potential, so I've been willing to give them a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was a huge fan of the original Stormwatch, particularly the characters of Battalion, Winter, Diva and Flint, so was a bit disappointed by their being fridged for the Authority.

But the Engineer, Midnighter and Hawksmoor are really interesting and pretty original concepts, and have interesting potential, so I've been willing to give them a chance.
    ^^^I never read the Stormwatch stories, so when I finally started picking up the Authority book, I was ignorant of their background. I enjoyed that book though. It was def. an interesting take on the traditional hero tropes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

I was never able to get into early Stormwatch until Warren Ellis took it over. It always felt like it was the ugly stepchild of the Wildstorm team, who couldn't hold a candle to WildC.A.T.S and Gen13. Everything changed when Ellis and Raney took the book over and turned it into one of the best on the market.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I read the Ellis run. Excellent stuff, Hitch's pencils really made everything epic and large-scale.

Plus the characters are badass, Midnighter has all the best lines.

The Authority was the first modern comic, versus Golden and Silver Age reprints, that I was ever introduced to. Probably at too young an age, but by a well-meaning uncle. The characters always have a special place in my heart. Century Babies / Spirit of the 20th/21st Century are a great concept. Midnighter gets some fantastic boasts. The Doctor was a fun notion with the inherited title, though I think sometimes his powers ended up pretty generic "do anything magic" like Dr. Strange sometimes ends up being -- but The Wild Storm combining the Doctor with Swift was a neat notion. And Jack Hawksmoor is probably one of my favorite concepts for a superhero, like, ever.

I do wish some of the runs didn't go for shock value so strongly, though -- the characters get wrapped up with other excessive properties sometimes as a result.

That said, its felt like there are two Authority concepts -- the biggest gun in the room, widescreen comics team who take on God and parallel universes. OR trying to change the world the way other teams won't. I'd always appreciate more stories for either interpretation, if they didn't wallow in gross-out content (...here's looking at you Seth).

And the Carrier is the best team base ever devised.

"Door."

I loved “The Nativity” storyline. Yeah it had Mark Millar’s over the top violence but it also had Frank Quitely’s amazing art. The Authority vs The Avengers, I mean The Americans! A super team created by a Jack Kirby-like madman.

It also had images of other Wildstorm heroes fighting Marvel Comics doppelgängers. I love a good “crossover”.

Last edited by Robotman; 10-01-2023 at 11:01 PM.

There's no overstating the importance and impact of Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch's run, it truly was the first book of the modern age of superheroes. All the biggest writers in the industry, from Millar to Bendis, from Gillen to Hickman, and I will also include Grant Morrison, drank from that fountain.

Matthew Vaughn on The Authority & James Gunn: ‘DC’s In the Best Hands’

When the topic of The Authority — a DC superhero team that is set to appear in Superman: Legacy — came up, Vaughn was asked if it was of interest to him. Though the director noted he’s currently happy making his own stuff, he explained that he has faith in Gunn’s ability to handle DC.

“Never say never,” Vaughn stated. “At the moment, I’m very much enjoying creating my own things because, as I said, I don’t get all the tentacles of political madness — can’t get hold of it. I think Gunn … DC is in the best hands it’s been in for a long time, so let’s see what happens.”
    What do you think, Matthew Vaughn on The Authority, yay or nay?

Ultimate Member

I'm only a fan of the Ellis run, personally.

I really wished the writers bothered to explore the characters. I mean, did they ever explain/explore Angelica's connection to the first Engineer?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm only a fan of the Ellis run, personally.

I really wished the writers bothered to explore the characters. I mean, did they ever explain/explore Angelica's connection to the first Engineer?
    I agree that creators could have done a much better job at fleshing out some of the characters. Ironically, Warren Ellis did a much better job at rebooting Angie in The Wild Storm than his original run.

Jenny Sparks was probably the most fleshed-out character in the original run and I think killing her off was a mistake. Jack Hawksmoor's character and backstory received a lot of attention in the Stormwatch run that preceded The Authority, but less so in The Authority's first 12 issues.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Anyone read Ed Brubakers run on the team, how was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Anyone read Ed Brubakers run on the team, how was it?
    Ed Brubaker's run is my second favourite after Warren Ellis'. It's a tight story that builds on what immediately came before (Coup D'Etat) but it's also perfectly self-contained. It makes a number of changes to the team in terms of cast and developments and features excellent work especially on Jenny Quantum, Midnighter and Hawksmoor. It has has beautiful artwork by Dustin Nguyen. If you enjoyed Ellis' Authority, I believe you will also like Brubaker's Revolution series.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/superma...le-1235612761/

María Gabriela de Faría, the Venezuelan actress best known for roles in Fox comedies Animal Control and The Moodys, has landed a breakout part on the film side, joining the cast of James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy.

Her character is Angela Spica aka The Engineer. Part of the Warner/DC flick’s villain team, Angie’s powers stem from nanotechnology built into her body. Created by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, she’s the second DC character to bear the name of The Engineer and was first introduced in The Authority vol.1 #1 in 1999.
    Looks like we have our Angie! I remember I loved María in Deadly Class and I'm excited about this casting.

I'm not sure how I feel about her supposedly playing a villain in Superman's movie but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the story is exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    https://deadline.com/2023/11/superma...le-1235612761/

Looks like we have our Angie! I remember I loved María in Deadly Class and I'm excited about this casting.

I'm not sure how I feel about her supposedly playing a villain in Superman's movie but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the story is exactly.
    Gunn disputed the “villain” moniker, so she and the rest of the Authority are likely just antagonists
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/