Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Lords of Shadow had a cool take where he was an orphan raised in the wild. He was ignorant of the Belmonts and Dracula so that's a cool angle to build from.

I like the Doctor Who approach of having a Belmont for a few seasons and then switching. Trevor was set in the middle ages and Richter is being set in the French revolution. The middle ages defined some of themes present in Trevor's era. You could do something similar with Simon.

The potential is there.
    That was a good reimagined take on the series overall, they even used Dracula's connection to the Belmonts to explain why he was immune to divine power since he was God's chosen one as Gabriel Belmont.

I agree there is potential for some good storytelling.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-24-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That one character is their main connection throughout Castlevania history and that's what they're prioritizing. Trevor is nothing like the Netflix version and neither were their takes on Isaac and Carmilla, while Grant wasn't even there. Given they're already doing their own personal fanfic on Castlevania, Simon supposedly having no personality or supporting cast holds no water when we both know that's not what this is about, it's solely about him not being connected to Alucard. Not to mention that you clearly just don't like him and don't want to see him around. Why not just be upfront about it instead of bringing up the predictable claim that there's something inherently wrong with his character.
    What's to like about Simon? There's nothing to him.

While those characters you listed weren't like their game counterparts at least the show has something to work with. Who can the show very use from Simon games other than the man himself and dracula?

At the very least it would be nice for them to acknowledge Simon, if only like how they acknowledged Leon in Trevor's season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Very pretty!

That was a good reimagined take on the series overall, they even used Dracula's connection to the Belmonts to explain why he was immune to divine power since he was God's chosen one as Gabriel Belmont.

I agree there is potential for some good storytelling.
    I liked that reboot too and wished they did more with it. I think adapting Gabriel as Leon's illegitimate half brother is a way to call back to it.

Tvtropes pitched Simon as someone cursed by Dracula. He's fated to die in a few years so you could build an arc around accepting fate. You could replace Dracula with someone else or keep him, the idea still works as a hook.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...astlevania2017

They are comfortable adding characters and concepts in Trevor's era. Warren Ellis wrote the first 3 seasons and he didn't know Castlevania beyond a Wikipedia search. So they could just do the same for Simon.

Expanding on the cut Belmonts like Victor, Christopher, Sonia etc. would be interesting.

It's no different than writing Batman Beyond or giving Miles Morales more content.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-24-2023 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What's to like about Simon? There's nothing to him.

While those characters you listed weren't like their game counterparts at least the show has something to work with. Who can the show very use from Simon games other than the man himself and dracula?
    The fact that he defeated Dracula while dying from a curse could easily be adapted in any Simon-led Castlevania adaptation. Or the fact that he initially feels he can't live up to the Belmont name and still manages to bring the clan's good reputation back to their former glory and make it legendary throughout history. Like I said, trying to pretend that just because you dislike a character means the character has no story potential and nothing can be done with him is a disingenuous argument that holds no water. Why do people love to play these little games so much instead of just being upfront about what they're actually saying I'll never understand.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-24-2023 at 11:39 AM.

The fact that he defeated Dracula while dying from a curse could easily be adapted in any Simon-led Castlevania adaptation. Or the fact that he initially feels he can't live up to the Belmont name and still manages to bring the clan's good reputation back to their former glory and make it legendary throughout history. Like I said, trying to pretend that just because you dislike a character means the character has no story potential and nothing can be done with him is a disingenuous argument that holds no water. Why do people love to play these little games so much instead of just being upfront about what they're actually saying I'll never understand.
    I guess adapting Simon's Quest would be the smart thing to do as it has a town hub that can be the cast for Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I guess adapting Simon's Quest would be the smart thing to do as it has a town hub that can be the cast for Simon.
    They could've always brought in original characters like Lenore, Striga or Morana were. Carmilla also originates from Simon's Quest. The aspect of burning Dracula's remains comes from there as well. Or they could've pulled a LoS and have Simon as the son of Trevor and Sypha, he's always looked up to them in the original continuity as well anyway. So I don't think making a Simon-led adaptation is difficult at all, the problem like I said is these guys just want Alucard there and ultimately that's why Simon keeps being skipped over. Still, it was probably for the better since Simon isn't exactly the kind of character that Hollywood seems to like these days. If he was there they would've likely turned him into a total caricature.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-24-2023 at 05:32 PM.

I loved the original series on Netflix so I'll be sure to give this one a watch.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

All I know is that Konami went insane, but they have been heading on a downhill slide into a brick wall for years now. It was Konami the reason why the previous Castlevania TV show got canned. And I don't know if Power House Animation is doing this new show. Everyone knows that even though written and produced by Americans Arcane was animated by a French animation company. And I think the previous showrunner to Castlevania Adi Shankar will sue Netflix for not being in this. I don't know. I hope for the best for this new Castlevania animated show.

I agree that Simon shouldn't be skipped. His lack of a story just means they have a lot they can fill in. But it makes sense they want to go right to Richter so Alucard can return. That might mean the third time skip goes right to the modern era with Soma Cruz, since Alucard is part of that story as well.
    Life is but a dream

I'm more on the casual side of the fandom so I'm neutral to using him.

I'm just interested in what their take would be. They could always expand into comics and use the Belmonts they skip over.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-30-2023 at 11:13 AM.

So no sign of Alucard or Dracula...preserving the (mostly) happy ending of the other series?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

How did they somehow make the animation more beautiful!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So no sign of Alucard or Dracula...preserving the (mostly) happy ending of the other series?
    I think this is actually a prequel to Rondo, so they might not adapt the game events until next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Shaft hasn't resurrected Dracula yet