Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

having a permanent job and no longer struggles for rent
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    having a permanent job and no longer struggles for rent
    I don't remember the last time he actually struggled for rent, like, yeah, that was excused to make him be roommates with Randy and Boomerang, but rent is never talked about despite Spidey mostly not having a job during Spencer's run lol.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-17-2022 at 06:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I don't think Peter is necessarily 'kept' from being happy in MC2. Sure he's a total grouch and none of that stuff helps, but the family doesn't come apart over any of it, he doesn't lose his job or is on bad terms with anyone for long, and has one of the healthiest MJ relationships of the lot of them. He was distrustful of April from beginning to end but still tolerated her being a part of the family because Mary Jane was more accepting, and Benjy ultimately got better and his spider-powers kicked in.

He got possessed at one point by Norman Osborn, but his family all helped him overcome it and he got to see Aunt May again.

And even when he was killed by the Inheritors, The Other bestowed it's power and resurrected him. Time will tell how he bounces back from that one though.

In MC2, bad things may happen, but they always lead to greater and more positive things. Peter being the pessimist jerk that he is in that universe despite all this is kind of the joke.
    well, Pete's pessimism was rooted in all the stuff he'd had to deal with. It wasn't him just being cranky at random. It's like the old "Father knows best", he may not get every detail right, but he does get the big picture right.

Fantastic Member

Give us the stolen marriage back and the family life they've delayed for over 2 decades.

Kill off aunt may permanently, she's been 80 years old for 60 years and since peter has aged from 15 till 30 now that makes her 95ish. they just completely dropped the whole cancer story line as far as i'm aware.

The current Wally West Flash run is the prime example of what Peter should be right now or the rebirth superman if you wanna go back a few years. Just like wally is now employed by mr. terrific why cant Peter be employed by fellow super heroes, seriously he has billionaire friends in reed richards and tony stark, both of whom know what a genius he is yet they dont employ him, makes no sense. or bring back Parker Industries, sending a 30 year old man back to college was stupid and then Spencer barely bothered to use the setting.

They are just terrified to let peter be anything other than an unemployed, broke, romantically challenged, college student. and guess what after 57 years its bloody boring.

and finally give him his upgraded powers from the "Others" storyline back, taking them away sucked.

Astonishing Member

Get rid of all of his classic villains. They’re overused anyways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Get rid of all of his classic villains. They’re overused anyways.
    It's fairly telling how JMS' run is revered and it only ever really used Doc Ock.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    It's fairly telling how JMS' run is revered and it only ever really used Doc Ock.
    I think it’s one of the most overrated runs ever lol. Not terrible, but just in relation to how acclaimed it seems to be. The only arcs I really enjoyed was “Coming Home” (the first Morlun arc), and then towards the end with “Back in Black.” Oh, I liked “Doomed Affairs” too. But most of those mystical villains like Shathra (?) or the Shade were snooze-fests to read about. All the animal totem stuff got impossibly convoluted. And then of course, there’s Sins Past and his part in OMD (his original idea wasn’t much better), but enough has been said about that. First Morlun arc was fire though (despite him not knowing his continuity and retconning Midtown High to be in Manhattan instead of Queens).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I think it’s one of the most overrated runs ever lol. Not terrible, but just in relation to how acclaimed it seems to be. The only arcs I really enjoyed was “Coming Home” (the first Morlun arc), and then towards the end with “Back in Black.” Oh, I liked “Doomed Affairs” too. But most of those mystical villains like Shathra (?) or the Shade were snooze-fests to read about. All the animal totem stuff got impossibly convoluted.
    I found Shathra an interesting foil that complicated Peter and MJ's final teething struggles in their reconcilation, and the Spider-totem thing really perked up just in time for Book of Ezekiel, which is where I truly believe JMS should have ended his run on. Everything after that was largely stories editorial wanted to tell rather than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't remember the last time he actually struggled for rent, like, yeah, that was excused to make him be roommates with Randy and Boomerang, but rent is never talked about despite Spidey mostly not having a job during Spencer's run lol.
    first issue of beyond he had bills he didnt pay and first issue of this new run randy mentions that Peter left him to pay for an apartment they both dont live in anymore
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

A nuclear family. First it was his parents, then it was his Uncle Ben. Not being in a nuclear family in any sort of capacity is practically baked into the character's DNA.

On a side, I also found most of the villains introduced during JMS' run pretty dull.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-24-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    Give us the stolen marriage back and the family life they've delayed for over 2 decades.

Kill off aunt may permanently, she's been 80 years old for 60 years and since peter has aged from 15 till 30 now that makes her 95ish. they just completely dropped the whole cancer story line as far as i'm aware.

The current Wally West Flash run is the prime example of what Peter should be right now or the rebirth superman if you wanna go back a few years. Just like wally is now employed by mr. terrific why cant Peter be employed by fellow super heroes, seriously he has billionaire friends in reed richards and tony stark, both of whom know what a genius he is yet they dont employ him, makes no sense. or bring back Parker Industries, sending a 30 year old man back to college was stupid and then Spencer barely bothered to use the setting.

They are just terrified to let peter be anything other than an unemployed, broke, romantically challenged, college student. and guess what after 57 years its bloody boring.

and finally give him his upgraded powers from the "Others" storyline back, taking them away sucked.
    Generally cosigned, though your longest paragraph with the reference to Wally West/Flash over at DC and how he managed to rebuild his life and relationships after being robbed of them as well as his very existence for the better part of a decade is particularly inspired. I'm on the fence when it comes to Aunt May and Parker Industries, though. On the one hand, Aunt May would be a lot better off knowing Peter was Spider-Man again, as she'd already proven she could handle it back in the JMS run and would ultimately be proud of him for putting to work what Uncle Ben taught him. On the other hand, while Parker Industries had great potential to increase and further display Spider-Man's technological prowess, its unavoidable stumbling block was that it was made from Otto Octavius running around in Peter's body exploiting the years of trust and respect and even love Peter had accrued for his own agenda, and then Peter simply accepting and benefiting from its existence rather than rejecting it (and the doctorate Otto "earned" for him) as the products of Otto's deception. I wouldn't be opposed to Peter making a professional comeback in science and technology, but I was disappointed nothing came or was made of his efforts to honestly earn his doctorate in Spencer's run. And yes, Peter and Mary Jane married (again) with a kid or two on the way would be spectacular.
    The spider is always on the hunt.