Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Bobbi knew his identity, but that didn't work out because they had nothing in common.

Nobody wants Peter in a different relationship, they want him with MJ (or Felicia at a stretch), who will never be bettered. Even when they weren't involved, she was usually the closest friend and confidante he had.
    Honestly, if they could make Peter in a different relationship work, I'd be all for it. I've always had a soft spot for a What if in which Peter and Sable got together (Ironically it was "what if Spider-Man married Black Cat")

That book aside, I CAN see Peter and Felicia working out since they've both matured since then.

The problem is that Spencer pretty much had them practically married again and so even those who were fine with Peter being with other people want him with MJ.

Though honestly, Felicia and MJ's recent team up show that THEY have good chemistry as well, but Marvel would never go that route.

As for the thread, the main problem is that Marvel HAS shaken up the Status Quo and then, with some exceptions, reverted right back. Pretty much the only thing that's stuck is killing Gwen and revealing who he was to Jonah. I would say getting married, but we see how that turned out.

Aside from stablishing a family with MJ and having kids, I'd like to see Peter fullfilling the potential hinted for years to become one of the greatest heroes and smartest guys on the MU. I can't understand how Marvel perceives that being an annoying joke character, nerfed and seamingly getting worse at being a hero is something their readers want to read for decades. Years ago I thought that Miles' purpose as a character was taking over that struggling rookie hero role, so that could allow Peter to evolve, but now I foresee a future scenario were Miles will have grown more mature and successful than Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Is it just me or is there very little non-stupid big changes that haven't been done at this point?
    No not really. Not much has changed since he started out but that’s how comic books work.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    Aside from stablishing a family with MJ and having kids, I'd like to see Peter fullfilling the potential hinted for years to become one of the greatest heroes and smartest guys on the MU. I can't understand how Marvel perceives that being an annoying joke character, nerfed and seamingly getting worse at being a hero is something their readers want to read for decades. Years ago I thought that Miles' purpose as a character was taking over that struggling rookie hero role, so that could allow Peter to evolve, but now I foresee a future scenario were Miles will have grown more mature and successful than Peter.
    Generally cosigned. I think the issue is that as the most "relatable" superhero in the Marvel Universe, editorial and execs mistake that for meaning that Spider-Man/Peter Parker has to constantly get s*** on by life, the universe, and everything/everyone, which to me says something (disturbing and unsettling) about how they view the audience/readership/consumers for their characters.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Generally cosigned. I think the issue is that as the most "relatable" superhero in the Marvel Universe, editorial and execs mistake that for meaning that Spider-Man/Peter Parker has to constantly get s*** on by life, the universe, and everything/everyone, which to me says something (disturbing and unsettling) about how they view the audience/readership/consumers for their characters.
    To be fair I still see people talk about how Peter is great because he’s normal as though that’s supposed to be a good thing.

Smart but not too smart. Strong but not too strong. He can go about the world and not really leave a mark in it.

Too me that just feels unambitious.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    To be fair I still see people talk about how Peter is great because he’s normal as though that’s supposed to be a good thing.

Smart but not too smart. Strong but not too strong. He can go about the world and not really leave a mark in it.

Too me that just feels unambitious.
    Meh.......

Extraordinary Member

What's wrong with normal?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    What's wrong with normal?
    It’s overrated. Not to mention that Peter was never by any means normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Heck, in MC2 Pete has all kinds of shtuff happen to keep his life from being happy. there's the obvious spider-Girl stuff. But a few other things too. His son Benjy gets deafened by an explosion, then bonded to a Symbiote. Oh and then he meets April Parker. Yeah, THAT got weird fast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heck, in MC2 Pete has all kinds of stuff happen to keep his life from being happy. there's the obvious spider-Girl stuff. But a few other things too. His son Benjy gets deafened by an explosion, then bonded to a Symbiote. Oh and then he meets April Parker. Yeah, THAT got weird fast.
    I don't think Peter is necessarily 'kept' from being happy in MC2. Sure he's a total grouch and none of that stuff helps, but the family doesn't come apart over any of it, he doesn't lose his job or is on bad terms with anyone for long, and has one of the healthiest MJ relationships of the lot of them. He was distrustful of April from beginning to end but still tolerated her being a part of the family because Mary Jane was more accepting, and Benjy ultimately got better and his spider-powers kicked in.

He got possessed at one point by Norman Osborn, but his family all helped him overcome it and he got to see Aunt May again.

And even when he was killed by the Inheritors, The Other bestowed it's power and resurrected him. Time will tell how he bounces back from that one though.

In MC2, bad things may happen, but they always lead to greater and more positive things. Peter being the pessimist jerk that he is in that universe despite all this is kind of the joke.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 06-16-2022 at 03:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It’s overrated. Not to mention that Peter was never by any means normal.
    I think we all have an idea what we consider normal for Peter. Again, I have to ask, what's wrong with that?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I think we all have an idea what we consider normal for Peter. Again, I have to ask, what's wrong with that?
    Well, Peter is normal right now. Are you happy with him?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Well, Peter is normal right now. Are you happy with him?
    Definition of normal please

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Definition of normal please
    I'm also wondering this.

I just want him to have a stable life. I know that being Spiderman prevents this to some degree but the writers seem to take it to an extreme. Give him a stable supporting cast people who stick around for awhile. Give him a decent job. I have heard so many heroes talk about how smart he is. There was one issue Pym was looking at his Spider Tracers and blown away that he did that in High School and gave him a speech that he is not living up to who he could be. So the writers can see they are doing wrong by Peter enough to point it out from another heroes point of view but not enough to fix to fix it.

Give him a research or lab job. But not just any lab job. One run by the government like a Division of Shield. But he doesnt work with Shield or even know they are behind the job. it is just a job that the boss knows the score and looks the other way when he has to be Spiderman. And you can tie it into a story where Peter sees something he worked on in the hands of the government or something and has to look into it or whatever.

Or just give him a job where the boss knows who he is and looks the other way. Same concept without the Shield angle.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.