Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
I love this fantasy argument people conjure up about 'new viewers', they always assume they won't go back and research/watch the older/better seasons, which are always widely available. A great deal of older Pokemon seasons I know for a fact are reran on UK television.

For the record, I was always of the opinion Ash's story came to a natural end in Pokemon: The Power of One, just as Peter's story came arguably to it's natural end with MC2.
Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
Isn’t that precisely why people think that others won’t read the back issues? You’re referencing a 22 year old non-canon movie as an ending as though nothing happened afterwards.

It’s telling that most people can’t be bothered to learn about any of Spider-Man’s villains beyond the Ditko ones. It’s basically saying that they have no intention of actually reading the series. It’s why so many series just decide to reboot their continuity after a certain amount of time.
The Pokemon anime... with Ash(not all of them have Ash) is weird because it's taking the stories from the games and warping them to use Ash as the MC when it's a story written for a different character. And this is part of the non-aging thing... it's a new, young PoV... because it's a story meant for a different new young protagonist... who is NOT Ash. Like... Dawn.... she was the MC in her story(the video games Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)... not Ash. But the anime warped the story to make her Ash's sidekick.
Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
I think Goku is probably a better comparison than Ash.
In part because Goku is ACTUALLY the main character in his stories. Also, in the first episode of the original Dragon Ball, Goku is a little kid who doesn't know what the word "marriage" means and his future wife actually tricks him into agreeing to marry her because of that. Granted Chi-chi wasn't a bad wife, and decades(both in and out of universe) later Goku is a grandfather.

Yeah, some episodes don't even have Goku in them. But most do, and all have a defined point in Goku's life when they happen.