Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Peter should evolve and grow. Miles has a lot of growth in the past few years. Soon he'll be in his 20s and they'll need a new character to be teenage spider man or Spider girl
    Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What year do you predict Miles Morales will turn 20?
    I know it took Jubilee an entire decade to get one year older.

So if we go by that, Miles will be hitting 20 years old sometime around the year 2050.

If he ages like Franklin Richards however, we probabaly won't see him turn 20 until Spider-man is Spider-man 2099.

Astonishing Member

Peter should evolve and grow. Miles has a lot of growth in the past few years. Soon he'll be in his 20s and they'll need a new character to be teenage spider man or Spider girl
    Miles is a new character. It’s not growth; it’s just writing.

BANNED

Peter Parker will never change and grow into a co sistant well controled being, hes conceputally a losers/underdog mythos fantasy like Hercules is the mythos of a jerk jock hero fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Peter Parker will never change and grow into a co sistant well controled being, hes conceputally a losers/underdog mythos fantasy like Hercules is the mythos of a jerk jock hero fantasy.
    Wow. You're just going to come right out and insult pretty much everybody,aren't you?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Miles is a new character. It’s not growth; it’s just writing.
    Wow 10 years of a character

Is that really you'r argument. Please try again

Astonishing Member

Wow 10 years of a character

Is that really you'r argument. Please try again
    What are you talking about? I’m saying that because Miles is a blank slate to begin with, you can’t really say that much of his character and story has changed or developed yet.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, no.

I primarily blame Q, Brevoort, and Slott for this way off base misconception, thanks to their fundamental misunderstanding of the character as conceived and written from 1962 to 2007 (and then again under Spencer).

Peter isn’t a loser. Peter cares deeply about his friends and family and is loved by them in return - the very definition of someone who is not a loser. He is extremely intelligent as well. And he uses his wit to keep villains and others off balance. He takes on great responsibilities to others & to society that cause him to miss out on aspects of his personal life. If he has a win as Spider-Man, inevitably it leads to a loss as Peter Parker and vice versa. But that doesn’t make him a loser because he feels the pain and then he gets up and fights for others as Spider-Man again. Instead, he’s a true hero, who puts his responsibility to others above his own wants.

And because Peter is not perfect, he resents/regrets the times Spider-Man interferes with his personal life - and vice versa - and sometimes he gives in to his selfish desires, which inevitably will lead to a loss of some kind as Spider-Man. But again, that doesn’t make him a loser, just a three-dimensional human character who is relatable to readers.

Of course Peter will never become a fully realized perfect person because no human ever does.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-18-2022 at 10:30 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Wow. You're just going to come right out and insult pretty much everybody,aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Yeah, no.

I primarily blame Q, Brevoort, and Slott for this way off base misconception, thanks to their fundamental misunderstanding of the character as conceived and written from 1962 to 2007 (and then again under Spencer).

Peter isn’t a loser. Peter cares deeply about his friends and family and is loved by them in return - the very definition of someone who is not a loser. He is extremely intelligent as well. And he uses his wit to keep villains and others off balance. He takes on great responsibilities to others & to society that cause him to miss out on aspects of his personal life. If he has a win as Spider-Man, inevitably it leads to a loss as Peter Parker and vice versa. But that doesn’t make him a loser because he feels the pain and then he gets up and fights for others as Spider-Man again. Instead, he’s a true hero, who puts his responsibility to others above his own wants.

And because Peter is not perfect, he resents/regrets the times Spider-Man interferes with his personal life - and vice versa - and sometimes he gives in to his selfish desires, which inevitably will lead to a loss of some kind as Spider-Man. But again, that doesn’t make him a loser, just a three-dimensional human character who is relatable to readers.

Of course Peter will never become a fully realized perfect person because no human ever does.
    Im sorry if i meant to offend you guys, but even though Peter has some idealized benefits as a well written character through out the ages, hes destined to be a arcetype based core of the same concept hes famously marketrd as in order to stay immortalized for generations to come. He can be a well responsible paragon of men, a champion of the little people, and a loving husband and good family provider but hes gonna be a underachiving, poor and miserable, barely respected and highly irresponsible bumbling bag of sad in everything else because thats whats makes him a Mickey Mouse figure of famous.

Spider-Man is not even a three demensional character anmore. His story and character beats has been told a million times and reinvented as the same pattern of predictability, hes basically a living mythos and commericalized plot device. Hes a hero and a good but flawed man who has a sucky life and cracks jokes, thats basically all you need to last forever and him changing into a more mature and stabalized character ruins that because no more stories can be invented or reomagined anymore
    Plus Peter to me has stopped being a character driven character the second he got exposed in civil war so his character range is static and forever pointless to enguage in anymore just like Superman, Batman and other mainstream superheroes.

A great Peter to me is written to be defined by how to go on his shortcomings and flaws and try to overcome them to do right than just being able to do right and have zero flaws about it, thats why i kinda respect omd, it shows that peter will never have a invincible moral power to overcome situations like Captain America and at the end of the day is just some guy who may be a superhero but is realistic and ahort sighted how to go about it, and even through time and experience still doesnt fully become a Superman or learns from his mistakes because maybe hes naturally accident prone and brash emotional.
    Last edited by Hoodj; 06-20-2022 at 01:58 PM.

Does anyone really want Peter to be a perpetual teenager?

Like, would anyone who has followed this franchise from the comics through all its developments and changes really want him to be back in high school or constantly in high school?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Like, would anyone who has followed this franchise from the comics through all its developments and changes really want him to be back in high school or constantly in high school?
    No it's boring and not needed. Ultimate worked because it was set that way but not in the long run. As a character he has to grow

Astonishing Member

Well, they want him to stay at his high school job fighting against his high school supervillains using his high school tactics, so in spirit, I would say yes.

Astonishing Member

hes gonna be a underachiving, poor and miserable, barely respected and highly irresponsible bumbling bag of sad in everything else because thats whats makes him a Mickey Mouse figure of famous.
    Yeah, no. "Highly irresponsible bumbling" - you realize the core theme of the series is, and always has been since the start, "with great power there must also come great responsibility?" Peter Parker has the most highly developed senes of responsibility pretty much in all of literature, much less comics.

that because no more stories can be invented or reomagined anymore
    So every single writer from now until eternity is a talentless hack who lacks imagination?

thats why i kinda respect omd.
    You respect the story that nearly everyone, no matter where they stand on the subsequent stories, agrees is one of the worst stories ever told in modern comics?

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

No. Not unless your name is Brevoort, Quesada, or Slott. And even then, when JMS offered Quesada a magical reset button back to the Coffee Bean days, Quesada said no.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-20-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Well, they want him to stay at his high school job fighting against his high school supervillains using his high school tactics, so in spirit, I would say yes.
    Other than him starting out there the Bugle isn't really what I'd call a "high school job," I mean I was introduced to a 20-year old college age Peter working there in the 90's cartoon and it didn't make him seem like a high school student.

As far as the same Supervillains...well, subsequent encounters build on the fact that he's fought them before and there's a shared history there.

I don't really see how Peter uses "high school tactics" unless we try to quantify that his fighting style really hasn't changed that much, but that really just depends on the writer and the fight choreography. Like how would he even fight differently?

Other than him starting out there the Bugle isn't really what I'd call a "high school job," I mean I was introduced to a 20-year old college age Peter working there in the 90's cartoon and it didn't make him seem like a high school student.
    JJ, Robbie, Brock, Nick Katzenberg, and Ben Urich certainly aren't highschoolers.

As far as the same Supervillains...well, subsequent encounters build on the fact that he's fought them before and there's a shared history there.
    Spider-man has easily one of the best rogue's galleries in comics. Why would ANYONE want to get rid of them?