Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    I wonder how much of Johnny's immaturity has to do with him being dumped by pretty much every woman that he had deep feelings for. Experiencing that kind of rejection and heartbreak can wreak havoc on ones self esteem. Johnny seems to be at his best when he's in life threatening situations and fighting bad guys, but when it comes to relationships, he may not be able to take them seriously, because in the past they've always ended badly.

I wish Wyatt would come back and two could have an adventure together. One that doesn't involve any toxic relationships. Maybe Johnny should tell Reed that he wants his ship back.
    Slott's run seemed like it was going to tackle Johnny's view on relationships with this:

It looked like it was really going delve into how Johnny goes into relationships and what the disconnect is, but instead we got the terrible soulmate story. Hopefully the next handles it.

I hope Wyatt comes back as a permanent member of the supporting cast like Alicia. He is a great character and balances out Johnny really well. Hopefully we don't have have to wait years just see a glimpse of him in an issue or two. I don't know why Slott just stopped using him.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-22-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I'd like to see Johnny interact with more characters in the Marvel universe, just like I want for Sue. When the FF were away for 3 years he interacted with quite a few characters he wouldn't usually get to if the team were still around. Like his friendship with Rogue in Uncanny Avengers was really nice.

Now that the team is back it feels like he's only allowed to talk to Spider-Man. Give me more team-ups with other characters and showing up in other books (besides Spider-Man's).
    It would be nice if he became friends with Bobby Drake because having the dynamic of Johnny, Bobby, and Peter was one of the few things the Ultimate universe did better than 616. The original Marvel teen superheroes should be close friends and 1610 showed that it works exceptionally well.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-22-2022 at 06:31 AM.

Of course, the other original X-Men are in that generation too. It seems strange that it took until 2016 for Cyclops to get some friends outside the X-Men. Of course the X books ignore that he's pals with the Champions, neither he nor Dust (who later joined the team on Scott's recommendation in the aftermath of X-Men Disassembled) have mentioned it. And Cyclops had never been on a non-X team previously.

I think the problem with what you suggest is that Bobby, Peter, and Johnny don't all belong to the same editorial department.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I still like Johnny and Peter together the best. He just fits in well with the FF especially when Hickman had him take Johnny's place in his Fantastic Four. Johnny had even put Peter in his will.....from FF #1

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-23-2022 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I still like Johnny and Peter together the best. He just fits in well with the FF especially when Hickman had him take Johnny's place in his Fantastic Four. Johnny had even put Peter in his will.....from FF #1

Yeah they have a great dynamic, it's just that a Spider-Man book shouldn't be Johnny's only option outside of the FF. Let him make some new connections and have an interesting dynamic with old ones.

He never would have spoken to any of the members of Uncanny Avengers if the FF were still around and that's really sad. His only choices shouldn't be the FF (and its supporting cast) or Peter.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-23-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

I also want to note that Johnny has an amazing degree of maturity in thinking about Peter as a replacement. It sure beats the hell out of his picking Darla Deering during Fraction's run. Also, Johnny can still be Johnny as seen in the last panel. Be nice if Slott's replacement sees a primer for writing Johnny in his four panels of dialogue here.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

After the lackluster to bad way Johnny was handled in Slott's run. What stories would you like to see for him in North's upcoming run?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    After the lackluster to bad way Johnny was handled in Slott's run. What stories would you like to see for him in North's upcoming run?
    A serious, committed relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    A serious, committed relationship.
    Personally, I put relationship stuff in the same category as his "having to grow up" story arcs. It's overdone and if his story is not about one, it's usually about the other. He doesn't get stories outside of relationships and his immaturity, that is not good for the character.

Johnny working with the NYFD was a great idea. Johnny has a power which can be considered dangerous if not used properly and with near expert precision. He's like Ben, but in the past, Ben's too big and strong for doors, etc. was added for laughs. Johnny's abilities would make that very unfunny for him. Learning more about his thermodynamics would add to his ability. With Johnny (and Ryan North) being more fire savvy, we see a more mature, more realistic (as far as flame powers are concerned) Johnny. Johnny's no dummy, although he is the least intelligent of the four. Still he has support there.

Slott used Johnny as trying to be the cool uncle where his words of wisdom were less successful than he thought. That to me, kind of fits. Out of the team, Johnny's the one who probably gets Franklin the best. Not the powers thing, but being a teenage boy dealing with the situation of incredibly gifted family members. Let's see a Johnny/Franklin pairing where we see where Johnny can be more than a crazy teenager now.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I would like it to be a slow burn.

Maybe Johnny seeks out the various friends or people he knows who've also been unlucky but then better fortunes prevailed.

so Johnny with certain X- Men like Cyclops, as mentioned, but maybe Rogue, Storm too (and former FF member)

I would like to see it as a slower arc in the main book, or occasionally in other comics interacting.
    But I want this arc to clarify his various relationships, the ones that really "were".

Crystal
    Frankie
    Lyja
    , perhaps Sky
    and any others I'm missing.

Another thing, as an old continuity freak
    Johnny could (with FF) visit the micro world of doom and meet Pearla again

or even Valeria from "the 5th dimension"
    who he met before Crystal I believe.

I think he should really and truly end up with Crystal again, but I know that won't happen easily.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Bring back Wyatt.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Bring back Wyatt.
    Seconded! The adventures of Wyatt and Johnny!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Wyatt needs to be a permanent fixture in the FF book. He balances out Johnny really well and provides much needed representation. He's often trapped in limbo for years on end until a writer remembers him for an issue or two and he deserves more than that.

Bringing him back was one of the few good things Slott did, but then he just dumped him back into limbo unfortunately.

Sound comment.

My point now and then, is that the FF benefit from being teamed or jutaxposed (sic) against others.

Wyatt, Thundra, occasional others are great characters for the 4 to play off.

Agatha. Triton hung around a little way back. Antman - either, since Pym had adventures with them even further back.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all