View Poll Results: Should the classic costume return to the big screen?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No

16 37.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

I'm just talking about my own personal itch that I want to be scratched. Everybody has their own itch. I'd be satisfied if it was a one-off scene of Supes in the classic design--like they've done with other super-heroes, such as Captain America. If others can get their Kingdom Come and their Fleischer--I don't think it's so much to ask.

The irony is that the jeans and T-shirt Superman from Rags Morales for the New 52 had the classic S on his T-shirt--even while Jim Lee was labouring Clark with that awful S on the armour. The jeans and T-shirt, in turn, goes back to Superboy. It's makes sense that Conner would have a classic Superman T, because he'd just go into any store and find one for sale.

The character I think should have a symbol scrawled across his chest is Batman. For the first twenty-five years, it seems to me the inkers didn't bother to create a bat that looked stylized. It looked like Bruce had just drawn it on his sweat shirt with a Sharpie. And from issue to issue, panel to panel, it could change (or go missing completely). I think there's something neat about that. Yet when any modern artist tries to draw the "Old Look" Batman, the bat is always very carefully inked like they had some technical device that got it perfectly proportioned and symmetrical--so it never evokes the "Old Look" Batman for me.

In my head-canon, prior to 1938, Clark was a muscle man for a travelling circus in the Midwest. Thus the circus costume--the different S shields he has are from his travelling trunk and were probably made by someone working for the circus.

Incredible Member

One interesting thing about the t-shirt/jeans was that the idea comes from Jerry Shuster's second draft of the character.

http://superman.nu/seventy/interview/?part=4
    A couple of months after I published this story, The Superman, artwork by Joe Shuster, it occurred to me that a Superman as a hero rather than a villain might make a great comic strip character in the vein of Tarzan, only more super and sensational than that great character. Joe and I drew it up as a comic book—this was in early 1933. We interested a publisher in putting it out, but then he changed his mind, and that was the end of that particular version of Superman—called The Superman. Practically all of it was torn up, by the way. Joe got very upset and tore up and threw away most of it.

Does any of it stil1 exist?

Shuster: We saved the cover. The rest of the drawings were a crude version of Superman. It wasn't really Superman: that was before he evolved into a costumed figure. He was simply wearing a T-shirt and pants; he was more like Slam Bradley (another Siegel & Shuster collaboration) than anything else—just a man of action. But we called him The Superman. That was the second time we used the name, but the first time it was used for a character of goodwill. I'm a perfectionist, and I think the fact that the drawings had been turned down made me want to tear them up. I simply destroyed them. I said, "If we ever do it again, I'm going to redo it properly." It was a very low period for us.
    Honestly I like the Earth 2 and Fleischer S (I even have a soft spot for Lee's stylized new 52 S because it looks like a better take of the Superman Returns S imo). Maybe because of the takes I grew up with or how I was introduced to the character or just how I identify with Superman, it's always different with everyone.

Ultimately what it comes to subjective opinion. But I do see what you mean, there's been so many fan service moments when it comes to costume, of course everyone would love to see their ideal take of the costume/S on the big screen done right. But on the other hand, I agree with Adekis; the costume largely has to fit the medium/story. When Batman, Iron Man, etc get costumes without trunks, etc. It doesn't get half of the blow back. But with Superman, he doesn't get as much leeway. I think it's probably because Superman didn't do that level of costume change earlier in his franchise career like Batman.

I do think that head canon idea sounds perfectly like something that would happen to Clark
    Last edited by ironman2978; 06-15-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Depends on the kind of story they're telling. The trunks work for some, not for others.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The irony is that the jeans and T-shirt Superman from Rags Morales for the New 52 had the classic S on his T-shirt--even while Jim Lee was labouring Clark with that awful S on the armour. The jeans and T-shirt, in turn, goes back to Superboy. It's makes sense that Conner would have a classic Superman T, because he'd just go into any store and find one for sale.

The character I think should have a symbol scrawled across his chest is Batman. For the first twenty-five years, it seems to me the inkers didn't bother to create a bat that looked stylized. It looked like Bruce had just drawn it on his sweat shirt with a Sharpie. And from issue to issue, panel to panel, it could change (or go missing completely). I think there's something neat about that. Yet when any modern artist tries to draw the "Old Look" Batman, the bat is always very carefully inked like they had some technical device that got it perfectly proportioned and symmetrical--so it never evokes the "Old Look" Batman for me.

In my head-canon, prior to 1938, Clark was a muscle man for a travelling circus in the Midwest. Thus the circus costume--the different S shields he has are from his travelling trunk and were probably made by someone working for the circus.
    while i love the tshirt idea which actually dates back to depression.The s wasn't something that was attractive to me.It was clark all, torn up and dirty which was attractive to me to the concept.I also wasn't a fan of the armour,not for the same reason as you.For some reason morrison is ok with clark being a knight..i think superman can do different in a world full of knights and swords,figuratively speaking ofcourse.I didn't also like the design.

yeah!bruce should have stylised bat symbol.I mean,theatricality and stuff like that...why he doesn't..is wierd.

I picture clark doing a lot of work here and there.But,decided to stay in metropolis cause he found a home.Also,i picture that first s was to piss of the authorities..A nice way of saying,"You are corrupt..therefore no authority".Superman might feel like a brute(ruffian look and all)..But,then there is method to his madness.He is quite intelligent.He is more intuitive,ofcourse.Not much of planner.But,clark's capacity adapt and survive is second to none.in fact,i think clark(strongman and ventroloquist..man of many voices,faces and all) would have banded together with a team of circus guys like dick grayson(the acrobat),the creeper(the clown),zatara or zatana(the magician),swamp thing(circus "freak"),animal man(beast tamer),the vigilante or green arrow(marksman),..etc..His band of nomads("justice league").Now,i need someone who can juggle things...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I am a big YES
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Incredible Member

Yes. The Brandon Routh Kingdom Come suit on a movie budget (and with the classic S and belt)? Done. All set.

I really liked the original MOS suit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Yes. The Brandon Routh Kingdom Come suit on a movie budget (and with the classic S and belt)? Done. All set.
    Seconded, though I guess technically thirded since I also suggested this.

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply to you. This is my first visit back to the forums in a while. Life just kind of got in the way, I guess. Honestly, I'd actually say Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, but I'm also a huge fan of Superman.

I haven't been keeping up with the comic end of things, from either of Marvel or DC, in quite a while, but as for my favorite Superman story, I'd say Kingdom Come. As a child, I'd say my first exposure to Superman was the 90s animated series (for Batman, it would have been both Batman the Animated Series and re-runs of the 60s show). I quite like the first two Christopher Reeve films as well, though I do have some gripes with them. Out of Henry Cavill's tenure, the only one I can really say I like is Man of Steel, though I do have quite a few problems with it too. I still like those movies better than Superman Returns, though. I really don't like that movie. I find it quite boring (the plane rescue is the only scene that really excites me) and for all the criticism that Snyder gets for having his movies be too po-faced and solemn, I think Superman Returns is just as bad in that regard.

Anyway, again, sorry for taking so long to respond back to you. Hopefully, I'll be able to frequent the boards more in future!

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I don't want to see any dc or marvel character in just a spandex suit. It makes zero sense.

But I voted yes in regards to seeing the classic look.

Bright colors, red shorts, big chest piece S, the classic hair. And while I like a lot of what ZS did with his DC films I wanna see a much brighter and happier Superman personality wise.

Also welcome to the forum! How long have you been reading dc. What are your current favorite books both recent and old school books.

I assume Superman is your favorite hero... do you have a favorite Superman story?

Cheers!
    Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply to you. This is my first visit back to the forums in a while. Life just kind of got in the way, I guess. Honestly, I'd actually say Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, but I'm also a huge fan of Superman.

I haven't been keeping up with the comic end of things, from either of Marvel or DC, in quite a while, but as for my favorite Superman story, I'd say Kingdom Come. As a child, I'd say my first exposure to Superman was the 90s animated series (for Batman, it would have been both Batman the Animated Series and re-runs of the 60s show). I quite like the first two Christopher Reeve films as well, though I do have some gripes with them. Out of Henry Cavill's tenure, the only one I can really say I like is Man of Steel, though I do have quite a few problems with it too. I still like those movies better than Superman Returns, though. I really don't like that movie. I find it quite boring (the plane rescue is the only scene that really excites me) and for all the criticism that Snyder gets for having his movies be too po-faced and solemn, I think Superman Returns is just as bad in that regard.

Anyway, again, sorry for taking so long to respond back to you. Hopefully, I'll be able to frequent the boards more in future!

Sorry for the double post, I'm still a bit of a novice, when it comes to posting here. Should have used Reply With Quote instead of just Reply, so that that it was clear who I was actually replying to! According to the rules I think only moderators can delete posts?

I prefer the classic costume. The best live action costume was the one worn by Gerard Christopher in the Adventures of Superboy series. They took the Reeve costume and improved on it. Larger 'S' shield, fuller more regal cape and boots that conformed to the actor's calves.

The best trunkless suit is that from MOS, but the colors were too dark. The Superman and Lois suit is awful - hoping that they tweak it for the third season. The SR suit is off. Shield too small, neckline too high and tight and the belt looks wonky. Dean Cain's suit was not bad but inferior to the Christopher and Reeve suits.

Gerard Christopher was a competitive triathlete at the time. After Cavill he has the best "bod" of any Superman actor which makes the spandex suit work. BTW, Gerard was 30 when he first donned the cape - older than Reeve, Cavill, Routh and Hoechlin when they first donned the cape.

Here ya go. Sorry the pics are so small. When i first upload them they are large but when I go back into the post they are smaller.

vlcsnap-2022-09-04-14h32m57s662.jpg

GC.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 09-04-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I prefer the classic costume. The best live action costume was the one worn by Gerard Christopher in the Adventures of Superboy series. They took the Reeve costume and improved on it. Larger 'S' shield, fuller more regal cape and boots that conformed to the actor's calves.

The best trunkless suit is that from MOS, but the colors were too dark. The Superman and Lois suit is awful - hoping that they tweak it for the third season. The SR suit is off. Shield too small, neckline too high and tight and the belt looks wonky. Dean Cain's suit was not bad but inferior to the Christopher and Reeve suits.

Gerard Christopher was a competitive triathlete at the time. After Cavill he has the best "bod" of any Superman actor which makes the spandex suit work. BTW, Gerard was 30 when he first donned the cape - older than Reeve, Cavill, Routh and Hoechlin when they first donned the cape.

Here ya go. Sorry the pics are so small. When i first upload them they are large but when I go back into the post they are smaller.

vlcsnap-2022-09-04-14h32m57s662.jpg

GC.jpg
    I remember this thesp! He was always my wishlist pick for Supes when fancasting a JLA movie. He looked just like the Byrne drawings (he was MUCH more muscled than when he was Superboy at that point). Sadly that time has passed but oh what a Supes he would have made!!

I think he would have been our best. Right now I think the best prospect in looks and acting ability and HEIGHT is the guy from WHAT LIES BELOW
    Last edited by Stanlos; 09-05-2022 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I remember this thesp! He was always my wishlist pick for Supes when fancasting a JLA movie. He looked just like the Byrne drawings (he was MUCH more muscled than when he was Superboy at that point). Sadly that time has passed but oh what a Supes he would have made!!

I think he would have been our best. Right now I think the best prospect in looks and acting ability and HEIGHT is the guy from WHAT LIES BELOW
    Gerard is 62 now but looks great and has kept his body in shape all these years. He'd make for a cool Kingdom Come Superman. He was going to be in a big screen film written by Cary Bates and featuring Brainiac. WB stepped in and as usual messed things up. They forced the cancelation of Superboy to make way for Lois and Clark and stopped the Bates film from happening. I agree that facially Gerard had the perfect look - as if he stepped out of a Byrne comic. He's a huge Superman fan and loves to talk Big Blue. Met him at a fan event a few years back - very cool guy.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 09-05-2022 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Gerard is 62 now but looks great and has kept his body in shape all these years. He'd make for a cool Kingdom Come Superman. He was going to be in a big screen film written by Cary Bates and featuring Brainiac. WB stepped in and as usual messed things up. They forced the cancelation of Superboy to make way for Lois and Clark and stopped the Bates film from happening. I agree that facially Gerard had the perfect look - as if he stepped out of a Byrne comic. He's a huge Superman fan and loves to talk Big Blue. Met him at a fan event a few years back - very cool guy.
    Circa the early 00s he had the build to match the face. The only shortcoming he had was height just like Cavill.

I think Trey Tucker is a fantastic option if they are not going with either of the two Supermen currently in play. See for yourself.

trey-tucker-what-lies-below-pop-culturalist-1280x720.jpg