I'm just talking about my own personal itch that I want to be scratched. Everybody has their own itch. I'd be satisfied if it was a one-off scene of Supes in the classic design--like they've done with other super-heroes, such as Captain America. If others can get their Kingdom Come and their Fleischer--I don't think it's so much to ask.

The irony is that the jeans and T-shirt Superman from Rags Morales for the New 52 had the classic S on his T-shirt--even while Jim Lee was labouring Clark with that awful S on the armour. The jeans and T-shirt, in turn, goes back to Superboy. It's makes sense that Conner would have a classic Superman T, because he'd just go into any store and find one for sale.

The character I think should have a symbol scrawled across his chest is Batman. For the first twenty-five years, it seems to me the inkers didn't bother to create a bat that looked stylized. It looked like Bruce had just drawn it on his sweat shirt with a Sharpie. And from issue to issue, panel to panel, it could change (or go missing completely). I think there's something neat about that. Yet when any modern artist tries to draw the "Old Look" Batman, the bat is always very carefully inked like they had some technical device that got it perfectly proportioned and symmetrical--so it never evokes the "Old Look" Batman for me.

In my head-canon, prior to 1938, Clark was a muscle man for a travelling circus in the Midwest. Thus the circus costume--the different S shields he has are from his travelling trunk and were probably made by someone working for the circus.