View Poll Results: Should the classic costume return to the big screen?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No

16 37.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should the classic costume return to the big screen?

Hi all, Jiminy here, superfan of Superman, long time lurker and now finally member of this site.

I'm just trying to get a heads up on something I've been curious about lately.

What would the general opinion be if the classic trunks and spandex outfit was brought back for the next cinematic reboot of Superman? Do you see that version of the costume as something that belongs solely to Reeve's incarnation of the character? Or do you think that going back to it would be unimaginative and that he should get a brand new outfit like Cavil got? Now, personally, I'd like to see it make a return, but what does everyone else think?

Welcome! I like the classic look and wouldn’t mind seeing it return, but I think every Superman film take is going to prefer designing their own suit. Would love to see the Fleschier S-shield get used on the big screen however!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Brand new outfit...with some essence and emotional content.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I don't want to see any dc or marvel character in just a spandex suit. It makes zero sense.

But I voted yes in regards to seeing the classic look.

Bright colors, red shorts, big chest piece S, the classic hair. And while I like a lot of what ZS did with his DC films I wanna see a much brighter and happier Superman personality wise.

Also welcome to the forum! How long have you been reading dc. What are your current favorite books both recent and old school books.

I assume Superman is your favorite hero... do you have a favorite Superman story?

Cheers!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

While I do love the classic costume, I'd rather see something different, such as jeans and tshirt. Would be cool to see some iteration of that in live action, although not sure how well it would track with audiences.

Or if he's farther along in his career as Superman, something like the reborn suit. Cavill's look was okay but I'd prefer if they updated it with brighter blue and red.

20220613_094120.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

There was no "Abso-frelling-lutely" option so I picked "Yes"

Retired

It amuses me to think they could do a movie about the classic costume--just without Superman in the costume. Like in Jack Kirby's "The Mighty One," KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH 29 (May 1975), where the classic costume still exists in the near future After Disaster.

Incredible Member

Honestly I love to see a modern update of the costume. I prefer the movie suit to have its own identity and presence but taking different elements of different Superman suits (Reborn, New 52, etc) to make something unique but evoking the classic presence. I also thinking using the New 52 t-shirt/jeans look before going to an iconic Superman suit would be a great moment on screen if done right.

I do agree I would love to see the Fleischer S and colors be brought into a cinematic style (particularly done in Frank Miller or Darwyn Cooke style)

Retired

I get that costume designers probably want to earn their paycheque and qualify for awards by designing a new costume for the screen. There's probably a matter of trademark, as well, where the studio gets to own the trademark to the design they create and thus reap licensing fees when it's used for merchandise. Plus the challenge of making a comic book drawing look okay in live action.

But, just once, I'd like to see someone attempt to make a comics accurate classic costume for the screen.

BANNED

Yes. The iconic suit can't be beat, especially when it's done well. Routh's KC suit was perfect except for the oversized logo. Hoechlin managed to not look like a cosplayer when he wore the Fleischer-inspired suit in L&C. The colors can be darker, like the Fleischer shorts or Alex Ross' work, but the classic suit can definitely work in live action.

31acac319e037648ce2cc53918632549.jpg

E0KQf-sUYAM8IW7.jpg
    Last edited by Kirk Brent; 06-14-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Batman hasn't worn trunks on the big screen since 1966. Nobody gave a single damn when he switched over in 1989. For some goddamn reason, Superman fans lose their minds about this.

In a vacuum, I don't have a problem with trunks for Superman or for Batman. But jeez, fit the costume to the medium and the kind of story. On the big screen, I'm more largely anti-trunks.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I get that costume designers probably want to earn their paycheque and qualify for awards by designing a new costume for the screen. There's probably a matter of trademark, as well, where the studio gets to own the trademark to the design they create and thus reap licensing fees when it's used for merchandise. Plus the challenge of making a comic book drawing look okay in live action.

But, just once, I'd like to see someone attempt to make a comics accurate classic costume for the screen.
    I think that’s the catch 22. People always say “why can’t movie costumes look like cosplayers or fan films” is kind of an unfair comparison as “why can’t they make a comic accurate costume” as if it was so simple

Costumes also goes through multiple changes in the comics over time. Ultimately it goes to what works with the film tones and audience Sensibilities as much as how you can properly adapt the theme/tone of the character as well. (Are you adapting golden age or Curt Swan? Fleischer or Byrne? Lee or Frank Miller? New 52 or Rebirth or Reborn or Kingdom Come?)

Like not only the grounded/realistic argument, but also taking bits and pieces of different costume ideas over the year and creating one concrete costume that works for the tone of a specific movie. Costume designers for these big budget films say this all the Like Captain America is a soldier, he wouldn’t work in pirate boots and wing tips, Wonder Woman is a Greek warrior, Thor is Viking Space God. Even the X-Men has to worry about their films being taken seriously and not seen as B&R level goofy at the time but had comic accurate suits . Cosplayers have the benefit of working within their own guidelines. Million dollar production companies while they have the resources, have to work to satisfy multiple conflicting mindsets. Licensing rights is a thing to think about, but so is making sure the actor and stunt double can maneuver and are comfortable while working in the outfit for 12-14 hours if not more of the day(which goes hand in hand in thinking of what works overall)

Seems like translation versus interpretation -- they are similar, but different, skill sets. Very accurate to the comics but looking good on the screen or fitting into the story on screen. Cosplay only has to look good when walking around and posing, and many are very fragile. Making 20 suits that are specially made for certain scenes, adhere to the other 900 parts of filming that need to be considered plus the spare suits for the actor and stuntmen. It’s harder than a single cosplay suit. Consistently looking good in motion and action is harder. Does the color shoot well on camera? Are they functional? Are they logistical? No.

Hence why they hire art directors , every thing has to work well hand in hand in respect of the overall story being told (I.e. Matt Reeves Batman having a D.I.Y. Rough year 2 look in respect of the story as opposed to say a Alex Ross/ Yo look). They have to blend and translate multiple visions into something coherent. I think the wish sounds good on paper but bringing it to life can be a different monster. That being said:

It’s impressive to see how far we’ve came in terms of superhero costuming from say Batman 89/Singer X-Men films, etc to costumes that combing accuracy with functionality and still look good on screen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

You would need a big dude..a wrestler or something..to pull it off.

Retired

I would settle for them getting the S right. I think they did it right at one time for one of the Dean Cain costumes--probably the most comics accurate in terms of details, but wrong in other ways. Yet every other T.V. or movie treatment did the S wrong in some way. I have a near fetishistic obsession with the classic S--the one that Superman had from 1950 all the way into the 1990s in the comic books--maybe from staring at it so often as a kid. To me it's perfect, so why would you change one detail of it, yet they always seem to get it wrong on purpose.

Hey! i voted for a new look.didn't i?you didn't,presume.Ofcourse,my superman would be more of "ruffian"..that would entirely go against "classic" superman.so,it's a given that supes wouldn't have a stylised s.I am not really into the stylised s..I would want superman to rough and tacky? or unfashionable.Something that says he's roughneck...