View Poll Results: Should the classic costume return to the big screen?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No

16 37.21%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should the classic costume return to the big screen?

Hi all, Jiminy here, superfan of Superman, long time lurker and now finally member of this site.

I'm just trying to get a heads up on something I've been curious about lately.

What would the general opinion be if the classic trunks and spandex outfit was brought back for the next cinematic reboot of Superman? Do you see that version of the costume as something that belongs solely to Reeve's incarnation of the character? Or do you think that going back to it would be unimaginative and that he should get a brand new outfit like Cavil got? Now, personally, I'd like to see it make a return, but what does everyone else think?

Welcome! I like the classic look and wouldn’t mind seeing it return, but I think every Superman film take is going to prefer designing their own suit. Would love to see the Fleschier S-shield get used on the big screen however!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Brand new outfit...with some essence and emotional content.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I don't want to see any dc or marvel character in just a spandex suit. It makes zero sense.

But I voted yes in regards to seeing the classic look.

Bright colors, red shorts, big chest piece S, the classic hair. And while I like a lot of what ZS did with his DC films I wanna see a much brighter and happier Superman personality wise.

Also welcome to the forum! How long have you been reading dc. What are your current favorite books both recent and old school books.

I assume Superman is your favorite hero... do you have a favorite Superman story?

Cheers!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

While I do love the classic costume, I'd rather see something different, such as jeans and tshirt. Would be cool to see some iteration of that in live action, although not sure how well it would track with audiences.

Or if he's farther along in his career as Superman, something like the reborn suit. Cavill's look was okay but I'd prefer if they updated it with brighter blue and red.

20220613_094120.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

There was no "Abso-frelling-lutely" option so I picked "Yes"

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply to you. This is my first visit back to the forums in a while. Life just kind of got in the way, I guess. Honestly, I'd actually say Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, but I'm also a huge fan of Superman.

I haven't been keeping up with the comic end of things, from either of Marvel or DC, in quite a while, but as for my favorite Superman story, I'd say Kingdom Come. As a child, I'd say my first exposure to Superman was the 90s animated series (for Batman, it would have been both Batman the Animated Series and re-runs of the 60s show). I quite like the first two Christopher Reeve films as well, though I do have some gripes with them. Out of Henry Cavill's tenure, the only one I can really say I like is Man of Steel, though I do have quite a few problems with it too. I still like those movies better than Superman Returns, though. I really don't like that movie. I find it quite boring (the plane rescue is the only scene that really excites me) and for all the criticism that Snyder gets for having his movies be too po-faced and solemn, I think Superman Returns is just as bad in that regard.

Anyway, again, sorry for taking so long to respond back to you. Hopefully, I'll be able to frequent the boards more in future!

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I don't want to see any dc or marvel character in just a spandex suit. It makes zero sense.

But I voted yes in regards to seeing the classic look.

Bright colors, red shorts, big chest piece S, the classic hair. And while I like a lot of what ZS did with his DC films I wanna see a much brighter and happier Superman personality wise.

Also welcome to the forum! How long have you been reading dc. What are your current favorite books both recent and old school books.

I assume Superman is your favorite hero... do you have a favorite Superman story?

Cheers!
    Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply to you. This is my first visit back to the forums in a while. Life just kind of got in the way, I guess. Honestly, I'd actually say Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, but I'm also a huge fan of Superman.

I haven't been keeping up with the comic end of things, from either of Marvel or DC, in quite a while, but as for my favorite Superman story, I'd say Kingdom Come. As a child, I'd say my first exposure to Superman was the 90s animated series (for Batman, it would have been both Batman the Animated Series and re-runs of the 60s show). I quite like the first two Christopher Reeve films as well, though I do have some gripes with them. Out of Henry Cavill's tenure, the only one I can really say I like is Man of Steel, though I do have quite a few problems with it too. I still like those movies better than Superman Returns, though. I really don't like that movie. I find it quite boring (the plane rescue is the only scene that really excites me) and for all the criticism that Snyder gets for having his movies be too po-faced and solemn, I think Superman Returns is just as bad in that regard.

Anyway, again, sorry for taking so long to respond back to you. Hopefully, I'll be able to frequent the boards more in future!

Sorry for the double post, I'm still a bit of a novice, when it comes to posting here. Should have used Reply With Quote instead of just Reply, so that that it was clear who I was actually replying to! According to the rules I think only moderators can delete posts?