Incredible Member

Default ‘Batman Azteca’: HBO Max Orders Animated Feature Set In Mexico

https://deadline.com/2022/06/batman-...co-1235044624/

Batman is heading to Mexico.

HBO Max Latin America has ordered an original animated feature-length film that takes the DC Comics character south of the border.

The streamer will launch the Dark Knight story Batman Azteca: Choque De Imperios (Aztec Batman: Clash of Empires). The news was unveiled at the Guadalajara International Film Festival.

The animated feature comes from Warner Bros. Animation and DC in partnership with Anima and Chatrone.

In the time of the Aztec Empire, Yohualli Coatl – a young Aztec boy – experiences tragedy when his father and village leader, Toltecatzin, is murdered by Spanish Conquistadors. Yohualli escapes to Tenochtitlan to warn King Moctezuma and his high priest, Yoka, of imminent danger. Using the temple of Tzinacan, the bat god, as a lair, Yohualli trains with his mentor and assistant, Acatzin, developing equipment and weaponry to confront the Spaniard invasion, protect Moctezuma’s temple, and avenge his father’s death.

Juan Meza-León (Harley Quinn) serves as director, José C. García de Letona, Aaron D. Berger, Carina Schulze and Fernando De Fuentes as producers of the film which will be produced entirely in Mexico, feature local talent, and showcase the region’s abundant art. Sam Register and Tomás Yankelevich serve as executive producers.

Alejandro Díaz Barriga, a consultant specializing in Mesoamerican studies and ethnic history of Mexico and the Andean region, will work with the creative team to ensure that the indigenous representation portrayed in the film is appropriate and relevant.

This is...pretty random, I have to say, but it could be interesting.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not that random when Aztec has bat god... oh they did mention it

Nice. Hopefully it's better than Ninja Batman which was a concept bursting with potential and then the film happened.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Not that random when Aztec has bat god... oh they did mention it
    Yeah, first thing I thought of was actually how good of a fit it is lol.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Nice. Hopefully it's better than Ninja Batman which was a concept bursting with potential and then the film happened.
    Batman: Ninja was great .

Mighty Member

Cool stuff. I've been wanting to scratch that Meso-American itch ever since Onyx Equinox was cancelled and Maya and the Three ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    One thing I already like about this project is that it's actually revamping the Batman mythos for the setting instead of just teleporting traditional versions of the characters to Feudal Japan.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    One thing I already like about this project is that it's actually revamping the Batman mythos for the setting instead of just teleporting traditional versions of the characters to Feudal Japan.
    To be honest Isekai is a pretty true-to-anime thing to do .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Definitely. And it's being made by a team from and for that culture so will hopefully feel authentic. I'm more than happy to watch with subtitles.

More Batman: Child of Dreams than Batman: Ninja.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!