Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Not necessarily. Japanese manga/anime is inherently different to western storytelling. That's why it's hard for western studios to adapt them properly because they usually have to alter the narrative to fit western conventions.

Money is only one issue. But I wager the above is a bigger hurdle.
    If it’s that big of a hurdle then why is anime so popular with western audiences? I don’t think the problem is that Japanese storytelling is so different. I think the problem has been the same as it was with comic books adaptations for so long. The Hollywood studios didn’t respect the source material and wanted to make a lot of unnecessary changes.

All it really takes is someone who knows and respects the story they are trying to adapt with the budget to do it justice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    If it’s that big of a hurdle then why is anime so popular with western audiences? I don’t think the problem is that Japanese storytelling is so different. I think the problem has been the same as it was with comic books adaptations for so long. The Hollywood studios didn’t respect the source material and wanted to make a lot of unnecessary changes.

All it really takes is someone who knows and respects the story they are trying to adapt with the budget to do it justice.
    They like it because it's Japanese. Because of the way Japanese tell stories. The way it's structured is different. Studios get involved and they immediately dictate changes to make it appeal to the broadest audience possible. Doing so then alienates the very audience they are trying to entice.

And being someone who knows or respects the story doesn't always guarantee a successful adaptation. Look at Fist Of The North Star for proof of that.

I think you're underestimating how different manga and anime are from live action. You can't just film it as is and recapture what made the original resonate with audiences. The adaptation process is like trying to carry a tray of eggs without letting any of them roll off. There are a lot of elements to consider and if you don't find the right balance in the translation, it won't work.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think you're underestimating how different manga and anime are from live action. You can't just film it as is and recapture what made the original resonate with audiences. The adaptation process is like trying to carry a tray of eggs without letting any of them roll off. There are a lot of elements to consider and if you don't find the right balance in the translation, it won't work.
    How is that different from adapting comic books to live action? I’m not saying it’s easy but it’s also not impossible. I remember when comic book movies were mostly trash with a few bright spots here and there. I see no reason the same thing can’t happen with manga/anime. Someone will eventually get it right. It may not be OPM but something will break through.

Astonishing Member

How is that different from adapting comic books to live action? I’m not saying it’s easy but it’s also not impossible. I remember when comic book movies were mostly trash with a few bright spots here and there. I see no reason the same thing can’t happen with manga/anime. Someone will eventually get it right. It may not be OPM but something will break through.
    The ones that would break through are the ones Hollywood is least interested in. Gunsmith Cats is already tailored for a western audience (anything by Sonoda).

OPM does have a chance of bucking that trend.

Astonishing Member

The ones that would break through are the ones Hollywood is least interested in. Gunsmith Cats is already tailored for a western audience (anything by Sonoda).

Uncharted was brought up before, that movie wasn't considered particularly good or faithful to the source, but it was still successful since people ate up the casting of Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg playing off each other in an easy to follow adventure. So there's ways to buck expectations.

Just speculation/wishful thinking on my part but I doubt Lin will want to be seen as moving on from a highly popular franchise like Fast & Furious just to release a stinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Budget and FX are just part of the equation. They are not the be all, end all. A higher budget wouldn't have made Dragon Ball evolution better to watch.
    Of course but for a more fantastic sify story like most manga/anime is I would say I bigger budget is needed like a saying a lot of the Japanese anime adaptations haven't been bad but budget was definitely a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Just speculation/wishful thinking on my part but I doubt Lin will want to be seen as moving on from a highly popular franchise like Fast & Furious just to release a stinker.
    I'm not sure what this means -- nobody ever wants to release a stinker.

Once I was interested in what a live action version of my favorite anime would be like. Now I'm not sure I want that, beyond a sense of morbid curiosity. I think especially today it just wouldn't come out right, seeing as it's in the old "harem" type of shows, and that might be somewhat controversial now, even though there was never any sex involved, just romantic rivalry, but even so I imagine that people would think that the premise and characters would need "fixing."

Of course, my favorite anime is Tenchi Muyo.

If there is any Japanese IP that is tailored made for western audiences it is absolutely OPM. It's almost like destiny that it eventually gets the call for a Hollywood version. However, "IF" Hollywood can stop sabotaging itself like Cowboy Bebop/Ghost in the Shell awful attempts, then we might have the next big franchise in the pipeline. Bonus points for NOT being DC/Disney related!

I have NO faith in Hollywood pulling this off successfully.

I wonder if it would look something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    If there is any Japanese IP that is tailored made for western audiences it is absolutely OPM.
    How so? I haven't read the manga, but I've seen the first three seasons of the anime and Saitama is nothing like what is expected from a western "hero." He doesn't have an interesting backstory, he's not particularly motivated, and the premise of being unbeatable goes against most western hero ideals of overcoming adversity.

If anything, Genos would be the breakout because he's more in line with a sympathetic western hero. (aside from how much he's so subservient to Saitama) Other than that, the huge swings from humor to melodrama usually turn off western audiences. (the closest success is maybe James Gunn)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-13-2022 at 08:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I wonder if it would look something like this:

Not bad at all. But kinda illustrates the problem with the character. He's hand waving all these op attacks and doesn't even seem serious. You see that a coupla times and it's like whatevs. It's almost like he was a character made for battle forums. I got into the series because I really liked the art/animation style. The character designs for most of the villains was really cool (Sea King). Live action won't have that going for it unless the cgi is really good.