Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Justin Lin to direct One Punch Man movie

https://screenrant.com/one-punch-man...-lin-director/

Justin Lin, known for his work with the Fast and Furious franchise, is set to direct the live-action movie adaptation of the beloved manga and anime series One-Punch Man. Lin had been preparing to direct Fast X, which would have been his sixth film in the billion-dollar series, but he left the project after production began due to creative differences. Now, the action director is heading in a much different direction.

One-Punch Man is a manga created in 2009 by ONE, a Japanese artist, as a webcomic, and it was published physically in 2012. It quickly became popular in Japan and spread around the world. The English edition was published in 2015, and the first and second volumes made the New York Times Manga Bestsellers list, as well as garnering an Eisner and a Harvey Award nomination. One-Punch Man follows Saitama, a superhero so strong he can defeat any enemy with just one punch. He seeks a worthy opponent as it has gotten boring to defeat unchallenging foes in his fight against evil. The manga has been turned into an acclaimed anime series already, and a video game, and now Saitama is getting his own live-action movie.

I didn't know it started as a webcomic - that's awesome.

I wonder how he'll pull it off. My first thought is something akin to "Kung-Fu Hustle" in terms of balancing the action, humor and crazy fighting, but who knows? Who could play Saitama? Will he Americanize it or keep it in Japan? (I vote for the latter)

Extraordinary Member

Anime doesn't usually play out well in live action. They're gonna need some great cgi to stay true to the source material. Then there's the challenge of getting ppl to care about a guy who can beat anyone with one punch.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Anime doesn't usually play out well in live action. They're gonna need some great cgi to stay true to the source material. Then there's the challenge of getting ppl to care about a guy who can beat anyone with one punch.
    You don't have to care about him per se and just enjoy the story (though I acknowledge that's generally something of a priority for American audiences). Or, they can cast a really likable actor and it won't matter whether or not you believe in he's in real danger for most of the movie - there are plenty of movies that are fun that don't require the protagonist to be in believable danger. Also, Genos will likely be there and it's easy to care about him.

I like OPM and Justin Lin so...I wish them the best of luck adapting this.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    They used to say that about super hero movies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Superheroes have a far better track record in live action than anime and manga adaptations.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Superheroes have a far better track record in live action than anime and manga adaptations.
    The point is that wasn’t always the case. There is no reason the same thing can’t happen here. Plus OPM is a superhero so……

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They do now yes but back in the day this wasn't the case also there hasn't been that many anime adaptations.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You don't have to care about him per se and just enjoy the story (though I acknowledge that's generally something of a priority for American audiences). Or, they can cast a really likable actor and it won't matter whether or not you believe in he's in real danger for most of the movie - there are plenty of movies that are fun that don't require the protagonist to be in believable danger. Also, Genos will likely be there and it's easy to care about him.
    Yeah i don't need a character to face lethal threats to have fun watching. But having a equally matched opponent or even an enemy that seems unbeatable at first. Makes the character more sympathetic.

Extraordinary Member

The turn around was when they got some great directors, big budgets and stayed closer to source material. Maybe this will be the turning point.

Incredible Member

It would be crazy if OPM becomes a hit while WB/DC is still figuring out what to do with Superman. OPM has the same problem of being overpowered but I think Genos and the rest of the supporting cast is what really makes it work.

As with any adaptation, fans will have differing opinions about what to keep and what to change for the sake of the adaptation. Despite the invincibility of OPM, this is a very popular property that's very enjoyable - it still works. So, what makes it a success? What needs to be kept and translated for the movie to be as successful?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    For a guy, Genos is really Best Girl in OPM...

Ultimate Member

They do now yes but back in the day this wasn't the case also there hasn't been that many anime adaptations.
    There have a LOT of live-action anime adaptations in Japan.

Most of them have not been very good.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-14-2022 at 01:41 PM.