Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The first Superman movie was a critical and commercial hit in 1978. Of the live action anime and manga adaptations we've gotten in the 21st Century, only a handful can be considered good.
    It's the same with super hero movies actually a handful were considerd good Then nothing until X-Men.

There's a Hong Kong City Hunter movie with Jackie Chan but it totally ditches most of the more serious aspects of the character/anime/manga. It's perhaps best known for it's bizarre Street Fighter II sequence.

There's also a more recent French adaptation which I think is a bit closer at least visually, but I haven't seen it yet.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It's the same with super hero movies actually a handful were considerd good Then nothing until X-Men.
    We've been getting live action adaptations of manga and anime since at least the 80s. If so few of them are good, I'd say that shows how largely pointless live action adaptations of manga and anime are.

Incredible Member

We've been getting live action adaptations of manga and anime since at least the 80s. If so few of them are good, I'd say that shows how largely pointless live action adaptations of manga and anime are.
    This is always an argument some make until someone does it right. Movies based on video games were tried and failed so spectacularly that many thought it couldn’t be done and in the last few years we have seen it can with Detective Pikachu, Sonic 1&2 and Uncharted.

Just because something has been unsuccessful in the past is no proof it can’t be successful in the future. You just need the right people to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's a Hong Kong City Hunter movie with Jackie Chan but it totally ditches most of the more serious aspects of the character/anime/manga. It's perhaps best known for it's bizarre Street Fighter II sequence.

There's also a more recent French adaptation which I think is a bit closer at least visually, but I haven't seen it yet.
    I remember that movie! I saw it as a little kid. I...honestly can't remember anything about it other than the name and Jackie Chan being in it. It mostly just sticks out in my memory because I thought that the name City Hunter sounded really cool.

Seeing Puri-Puri Prisoner on the big screen is gonna be interesting.

Again the USA hasn't made that meny adaptations.

Again the USA hasn't made that meny adaptations.
    You're acting as if it's just the USA that makes live action adaptations of manga and anime. As another user mentioned, Japan has made a lot of them and most were also poorly received.

You're acting as if it's just the USA that makes live action adaptations of manga and anime. As another user mentioned, Japan has made a lot of them and most were also poorly received.
    I know Japan has made meny adaptations I didn't say say otherwise what I'm saying and did say meny post's ago is the USA hasn't made meny big budget studio adaptations of anime/manga I'm not sure what's so confusing about that?

I know Japan has made meny adaptations I didn't say say otherwise what I'm saying and did say meny post's ago is the USA hasn't made meny big budget studio adaptations of anime/manga I'm not sure what's so confusing about that?
    And I'm saying that isn't relevant.

And I'm saying that isn't relevant.
    Yes it is as far as budget and FX is considered Japans adaptations have always looked cheap to me at least the ones I've seen basically if you're going to make a Big budget scifi/super hero type of movie nobody does it better than the USA.

Yes it is as far as budget and FX is considered Japans adaptations have always looked cheap to me at least the ones I've seen basically if you're going to make a Big budget scifi/super hero type of movie nobody does it better than the USA.
    Budget and FX are just part of the equation. They are not the be all, end all. A higher budget wouldn't have made Dragon Ball evolution better to watch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

The City Hunter film works as a Jackie Chan film. But you have to divorce it from the manga/anime in order to enjoy it.

Astonishing Member

Not necessarily. Japanese manga/anime is inherently different to western storytelling. That's why it's hard for western studios to adapt them properly because they usually have to alter the narrative to fit western conventions.

Money is only one issue. But I wager the above is a bigger hurdle.

Astonishing Member

Budget and FX are just part of the equation. They are not the be all, end all. A higher budget wouldn't have made Dragon Ball evolution better to watch.
    And we will never know now if it could because, after the Evolution fiasco, Toriyama has sworn off Hollywood getting another crack.