Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Creators have lied at panels before
    Sometimes. Not always though.

The fact Lost Hunt is the first marriage story to be set in 616 since 2007 rather than an AU is more telling
    Since the comic is set in the pre-OMD incarnation of 616, it is technically an AU, so I don't think it's worth anything beyond what it is in and of itself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Since the comic is set in the pre-OMD incarnation of 616, it is technically an AU.
    No it's not. MJ was name-dropped as Peter's wife in a flashback during Spencer's run. That timeline matters.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 08-07-2022 at 11:32 PM.

Weren't those by different writers?
    They were, it's just that MJ showing up to reject Spidey again was bad, and made her look like she's not right in the head when she decides to accept him again in ASM#1 vol 5, while talking like getting together is no big deal, when she rejected him just a few issues ago.

ASM#10 vol 5 did at least have MJ saying that Flash's death made her come back to Spidey, but uh, still fucking awkward.

Pretty sure Marvel would've backed off if marriage-only fans had enough clout by voting with their wallets.
    Likely yeah lol.

Admittedly, I do think Barry Allen coming back in DC is proof that nothing is set in stone (and I do wonder how things will change when readers who grew up with the marriage are in charge of Marvel, just like how OMD was partially the result of people who grew up with single Spider-Man), but I think Marvel has consistently shown that they do not want this to be part of 616.
    Well, someone would need to get into a big position to be able to get them married again lol.

Oh well, Barry returning and OMD, man those are big examples of toxic nostalgia lol.

Since the comic is set in the pre-OMD incarnation of 616, it is technically an AU, so I don't think it's worth anything beyond what it is in and of itself.
    Not really? It's still 616 but with an alternate past, same way that all of Moira's lives are still 616 (Wiki claims they're different but it's for the sake of convenience with their systems).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    They were, it's just that MJ showing up to reject Spidey again was bad, and made her look like she's not right in the head
    MJ wasn't in the right head a good number of times in Slott's run. She took 'Peter' back around 'Dying Wish' unaware it was Ock too, and would have stayed with him if Ock himself hadn't rejected her, she got scared and cut Peter out of her life after he came back, not wanting to be hurt like that again, but Flash's death kicked off the process of realizing what she liked about Peter again and put it all in perspective, she realized she never stopped loving Peter at that point and figured it was worth another shot.

They're not sensible reactions, but they're human reactions. People are a mess, don't apply logic to human beings, especially fictional ones written by human beings.

MJ wasn't in the right head a good number of times in Slott's run. She took 'Peter' back around 'Dying Wish' unaware it was Ock too, and would have stayed with him if Ock himself hadn't rejected her, she got scared and cut Peter out of her life after he came back, not wanting to be hurt like that again, but Flash's death kicked off the process of realizing what she liked about Peter again and put it all in perspective, she realized she never stopped loving Peter at that point and figured it was worth another shot.
    Yeah, I don't find this "I rejected you 5 minutes ago and now I wanna be with you again after an offscreen character development" to be an organic way to get 'em together again lol.

ASM#10 did give her more of a reason for 'em to get back together, which's nice, but it still feels awkward for then to have gotten back together back in #1 and she says "We're in this together Pete. We always have been." like she didn't reject him 5 minutes ago lol.

They're not sensible reactions, but they're human reactions. People are a mess, don't apply logic to human beings,
    Eh? Why the hell not? Trying to apply logic to someone's personality is a way to try to understand other people.

especially fictional ones written by human beings.
    No, I'm not gonna pretend characters aren't logical in some way, specially if they do weird **** so the plot awkwardly goes towards a specific direction.

Not that I'll be applying real life logic to 'em though, if I were to really apply real life logic to super-hero characters, I would then point out they're batshit crazy, hypocrites, dumb, or a weird mix of those options, they shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I still think that their actions and inactions are worth keeping in mind and talked about to a certain extent.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 08-08-2022 at 01:56 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Eh? Why the hell not? Trying to apply logic to someone's personality is a way to try to understand other people
    "Whoever said the human race was logical?'

-Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

I get what you mean, I'm sort of playing advocates for the devils at work more than representing my own opinion. Back in 'our day' there was more nuance and logic to motivations (like MJ ending the separation by admitting the fault was in believing Peter didn't need her. and feeling important again when he said he did)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Didn't JMD did a series of Backups that had Kaine in his assassin years take on Kraven. he beat him and buried him alived which Kraven got out and inspired him.
    Tigra should be in this series as well...

BANNED

SPIDER-MAN: THE LOST HUNT #2 (OF 5)
    J.M. DEMATTEIS (W) • EDER MESSIAS (A) • Cover by RYAN BROWN
    BEYOND AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VARIANT COVER BY OSCAR FETSCHER
    VARIANT COVER BY PHILIP TAN
    POWERLESS!
    • Peter must defend himself and MJ from the shadow that has fallen over them and their home.
    • What powerful ally does Peter meet, and how are they related to the man hunting Spider-Man?
    • And how does it all tie into the legacy of Kraven the Hunter?
    • Find out as the hunt continues!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Astonishing Member

I’m excited for this, but it does kinda subvert ‘Final Adventure’ a bit, which was supposed to be the only time he donned the costume when he lived in Portland. But meh, I can overlook that.

Also, seeing the edgy 90s version of the logo is definitely a cool throwback.

"Whoever said the human race was logical?'

-Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Humans aren't logical, but there is a personal logic in what people do, because actions and inactions have a reason since so many factors shape someone's personality.

The logics can be really bad, self-destructive and whatnot though, having some logic behind actions doesn't mean it's good, just because someone has a reason to be an obnoxious *******, doesn't make 'em less of an obnoxious ******* lol.

I get what you mean, I'm sort of playing advocates for the devils at work more than representing my own opinion. Back in 'our day' there was more nuance and logic to motivations (like MJ ending the separation by admitting the fault was in believing Peter didn't need her. and feeling important again when he said he did)
    I mean, even in that it ignores what MJ was going through before, 'cause she had clear PTSD after being kidnapped, and that was changed to "I felt I wasn't needed" lol.

Kinda funny that both this and what Slott did before Spencer's run are attempts to separate these two, only for the next writer to ignore that and simplify the problem so they get together again lol.

The 90's art style in this is nice.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 09-15-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    it does kinda subvert ‘Final Adventure’ a bit, which was supposed to be the only time he donned the costume when he lived in Portland.
    He might not appear in costume. I think Lost Years didn't have Ben in costume (other than the faux "issue 0")?

BANNED

Yeah, I think the covers are strictly for marketing purposes.

I remember when Peter became Scarlet Spider in the Clone Saga, the covers still promoted him in his usual costume.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, I think the covers are strictly for marketing purposes.

I remember when Peter became Scarlet Spider in the Clone Saga, the covers still promoted him in his usual costume.
    Same, and for those wondering, this was during the period Peter ended up in jail because of murders that turned out to be committed by Kaine, the first (but defective) clone of Peter Parker, and Ben Reilly, feeling guilty for how his past had made a mess of Peter's life, exploited their resemblance to each other to take his place in jail while Peter tracked down the real killer (who, again, turned out to be Kaine).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Same, and for those wondering, this was during the period Peter ended up in jail because of murders that turned out to be committed by Kaine, the first (but defective) clone of Peter Parker, and Ben Reilly, feeling guilty for how his past had made a mess of Peter's life, exploited their resemblance to each other to take his place in jail while Peter tracked down the real killer (who, again, turned out to be Kaine).
    I remember Judas Traveller tricking Peter into thinking he had destroyed New York during those issues. Very silly storyline, especially once Traveller’s powers were retconned to just be illusions.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I remember Judas Traveller tricking Peter into thinking he had destroyed New York during those issues. Very silly storyline, especially once Traveller’s powers were retconned to just be illusions.
    Uh-huh, manipulating his victims'/opponents' perceptions of reality as opposed to warping reality itself.
    The spider is always on the hunt.