Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Unless it's just seen as a new story set in the pre-OMD continuity, so irrelevant to post-OMD in terms of set up and obligation.
    It's still a small victory because they would have never allowed something like this even a few years ago.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's still a small victory because they would have never allowed something like this even a few years ago.
    This is the first real step since the editorial change. Who knows what could happen in the future but small sign of hope. ... potentially

Astonishing Member

I think they just don’t care that much. Everyone remembers OMD, but very few remember OMIT. It was a poorly received mini mandated by a power-hungry EiC that came out like 13 years ago and its whole reason for being was to retcon events, not tell a good story. Now he’s gone and Marvel is happy to keep the “Peter is single” status quo, but when it comes to the finer details like keeping up the illusion that Peter and MJ were never married… maybe they just don’t care, especially if it’s being referred to in a limited series not connected with the present-day ASM run.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I think they just don’t care that much. Everyone remembers OMD, but very few remember OMIT. It was a poorly received mini mandated by a power-hungry EiC that came out like 13 years ago and its whole reason for being was to retcon events, not tell a good story. Now he’s gone and Marvel is happy to keep the “Peter is single” status quo, but when it comes to the finer details like keeping up the illusion that Peter and MJ were never married… maybe they just don’t care, especially if it’s being referred to in a limited series not connected with the present-day ASM run.

Maybe but you have other characters now too that weren't around when that all happened so you have Miles and Gwen now to full fill the young demographic. No reason to keep Peter young and single. This is most likely a canon story so who's to say if it sells we'll what could happen

BANNED

I think they just don’t care that much
    They care enough to base a marriage era story in 616 for the first time since OMD rather than launch yet another AU series, and they clearly want the customer to care about that detail so they go out and support it, and thus create some strong buzz and interest in furthering along more titles involving the marriage, by DeMatteis or others they can recruit.

Look at Sal's recent Comiccon preview video on Youtube, he really hypes up the fact this book will have the marriage, it's a big deal.

Do not take this for granted. This is your opportunity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    They care enough to base a marriage era story in 616 for the first time since OMD rather than launch yet another AU series, and they clearly want the customer to care about that detail so they go out and support it, and thus create some strong buzz and interest in furthering along more titles involving the marriage, by DeMatteis or others they can recruit.
    I meant they don’t care about gatekeeping the altered post-OMD history so it’s airtight. They still generally want to keep Peter single but are indifferent about why he’s single. I fully believe that if they wanted to make him single nowadays (or if they could have a do-over) they would have just divorced him to avoid the devil-deal-alternate-history headaches that OMD left them with. But that isn’t the same as them willing to get him married again.

BANNED

I meant they don’t care about gatekeeping the altered post-OMD history so it’s airtight. They still generally want to keep Peter single but are indifferent about why he’s single. I fully believe that if they wanted to make him single nowadays (or if they could have a do-over) they would have just divorced him to avoid the devil-deal-alternate-history headaches that OMD left them with. But that isn’t the same as them willing to get him married again.
    They may be willing to get him married again if the sales on this book are good and convey the message that the marriage in 616 is what fans want to read about. They need as much good PR as possible in the second half of the year. The 60th is a massive wash-out and I expect it's caused panic buttons and heads to roll.

I would have absolutely no hope about whatever this book shows affecting present day SM. Like HypnoHustler said, they just don't care enough to enforce the OMIT retcon anymore. I see it as a Star Wars Legends thing -it's exiled from continuity but that doesn't mean they don't want to make money off it.

If sales are high enough. Money is king in comic world

I'm just glad we'll have a new great story about married Peter and MJ in canon. But most of all I'm glad that MJ is pregnant, I hate that Marvel ignored 616 Mayday for years (even before OMD), many fans don't even know she existed in canon. First we got a vision of a daughter at the end of Nick Spencer's run, then a mention of a baby in BR:SM, and now we're going to have a whole story about the Parker family. This is a big step forward for Spider-Man comics.
    Last edited by Kanos; 07-26-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    I'm just glad we'll have a new great story about married Peter and MJ in canon. But most of all I'm glad that MJ is pregnant, I hate that Marvel ignored 616 Mayday for years (even before OMD), many fans don't even know she existed in canon. First we got a vision of a daughter at the end of Nick Spencer's run, then a mention of a baby in BR:SM, and now we're going to have a whole story about the Parker family. This is a big step forward for Spider-Man comics.
    I think the reason they ignored baby May was that they thought it would make Spider-Man too dark and depressing for readers, given that either she was really in the clutches of Norman Osborn or one of his agents like Tom DeFalco was initially appearing to suggest in his post-Clone Saga comics before Howard Mackie took over, or she really was stillborn. The death of an infant in childbirth is a very hard thing to get over and move on from, after all, and even if she's not dead, the idea that she could be in the hands of Osborn or one of his operatives to be used as a proxy to make Peter (and Mary Jane) suffer would be an incredibly dark story arc if they were to give the go-ahead for that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think the reason they ignored baby May was that they thought it would make Spider-Man too dark and depressing for readers, given that either she was really in the clutches of Norman Osborn or one of his agents like Tom DeFalco was initially appearing to suggest in his post-Clone Saga comics before Howard Mackie took over, or she really was stillborn. The death of an infant in childbirth is a very hard thing to get over and move on from, after all, and even if she's not dead, the idea that she could be in the hands of Osborn or one of his operatives to be used as a proxy to make Peter (and Mary Jane) suffer would be an incredibly dark story arc if they were to give the go-ahead for that.
    Yeah, I didn’t think it was a big deal when I was a kid… but as a parent now it’s a bit hard to go back to that subplot, especially during the post-clone saga issues when the few times it’s brought up, MJ is doing something very depressing like painting over the nursery or going to therapy. They should’ve just let them have the kid. It would’ve been an interesting era for the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    If it's Kraven's origin story, it's going to matter one way or the other. We're getting closer and closer to Mephisto being revealed to have only altered memories, not the timeline.
    Still, wonder why they didn't just ask the story to reflect the revisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Dunno; they did and do allow quite a few adaptations and AU series to depict MJ as the endgame (the latter being stuff that's going to reach more people and impact what general audiences think about the character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Still, wonder why they didn't just ask the story to reflect the revisions?
    Because fans would have recognised it as bulls*it and wouldn't have supported it. The marriage and pregnancy was a crucial component of the Clone Saga, if you're not telling that chapter accurately, you're not telling it at all.

And, again. Quesada was probably out the door by this point.