Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Red #3 Review / Spoilers

It's not hype: I don't think an X-Men book has been this good in... decades.

spoilers:

Book opens with the preview pages. Cable, T-Bird, and Manifold meet in secret. Not sure what comes of that.

Storm confronts Brand in her chamber over her plan for Vulcan. Brand hints: I'm using Vulcan cause you refused to play along. Brand will have her loyal royal (or, at least, an Arakki-respected pawn) on the council one way or another. Storm walks off.

Data Page - Mentallo warns Brand, his cursory brain scans have uncovered that Vulcan isn't what he seems. It's not quite clear what he is because the Vulcan you see is not the real Vulcan. Xavier has yet to see through the illusion. Whatever his true nature, he's unstable and unimaginably powerful.

Magneto's castle - Magneto reveals his tortured soul to his inner circle and why he no longer has a taste for creating utopias. Storm and Roberto convince him he must challenge Tarn and take his place. Roberto's push was a nice touch.

In the arena - In the stands Roberto sits next to Isca the Unbeaten and flirts for a while. The battle commences. Vulcan and Tarn simultaneously shut down each others powers and begin a brutal slugfest. Tarn kills Vulcan and challenges the crowd with his victory. Magneto appears answering the challenge. Meanwhile, Roberto continues plying Isca and agrees that Tarn will probably kill Magneto. So he bets her that Tarn will win. Isca realizes she's been tricked into siding with Magneto and freaks out; she has some loyalty to Tarn.

Back to the fight: Magneto and Tarn begin. Magneto neutralizes Tarn's psychokinetic powers by forcing his helmet on Tarn's head. Tarn realizes what's happening and begs for mercy in front of the crowd. Magneto crushes Tarn's head off panel and declares he now sits in the Seat of Loss.

Analysis: Brand wins.
    end of spoilers

Mind crushingly good!
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 06-15-2022 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    It's not hype: I don't think an X-Men book has been this good in... decades.

spoilers:

Book opens with the preview pages. Cable, T-Bird, and Manifold meet in secret. Not sure what comes of that.

Storm confronts Brand in her chamber over her plan for Vulcan. Brand hints: I'm using Vulcan cause you refused to play along. Brand will have her loyal royal (or, at least, an Arakki-respected pawn) on the council one way or another. Storm walks off.

Data Page - Mentallo warns Brand, his cursory brain scans have uncovered that Vulcan isn't what he seems. It's not quite clear what he is because the Vulcan you see is not the real Vulcan. Xavier has yet to see through the illusion. Whatever his true nature, he's unstable and unimaginably powerful.

Magneto's castle - Magneto reveals his tortured soul to his inner circle and why he no longer has a taste for creating utopias. Storm and Roberto convince him he must challenge Tarn and take his place. Roberto's push was a nice touch.

In the arena - In the stands Roberto sits next to Isca the Unbeaten and flirts for a while. The battle commences. Vulcan and Tarn simultaneously shut down each others powers and begin a brutal slugfest. Tarn kills Vulcan and challenges the crowd with his victory. Magneto appears answering the challenge. Meanwhile, Roberto continues plying Isca and agrees that Tarn will probably kill Magneto. So he bets her that Tarn will win. Isca realizes she's been tricked into siding with Magneto and freaks out; she has some loyalty to Tarn.

Back to the fight: Magneto and Tarn begin. Magneto neutralizes Tarn's psychokinetic powers by forcing his helmet on Tarn's head. Tarn realizes what's happening and begs for mercy in front of the crowd. Magneto crushes Tarn's head off panel and declares he now sits in the Seat of Loss.

Analysis: Brand wins.
    end of spoilers

Mind crushingly good!
    This book is quickly becoming claremoths x-men run's successor.

AWESOME issue! Even better than I expected. Just read twice!

Mighty Member

Why use spoiler tags in a spoiler thread? Surely people aren’t that dumb.

Using these tags makes it difficult for those not using a laptop. Spoiler tags should be used in non-spoiler threads.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I do not think Magneto is loyal to Brand, he is loyal to Ororo.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Magneto leaving the council...to join the council. lol Can Ororo maybe invite Jean too?

This the first comic I've bought in....two...three?....weeks. well worth the wait. This book brings it and brings it hard.

Sorry if I’m slow this morning, but basically Isca can’t refuse a bet or just say “yeah you right Tarn is definitely going to win.”

Unrelated, but I hope people can stop shaking and crying now that’s been confirmed (for like the third time) that Vulcan isn’t at full power.

Mighty Member

Love how Bobby played Isca. Betting her Tarn would win and her having to take the bet that Magneto would. Her freaking out that she would lose, but her powers ensured she would win and in turn so would Magneto. This book is pretty amazing. I’m interested in how long and how Vulcan will turn out when he is reborn. Will this unleash the mad king or will they be smart and have pick an earlier back up?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Sorry if I’m slow this morning, but basically Isca can’t refuse a bet or just say “yeah you right Tarn is definitely going to win.”

Unrelated, but I hope people can stop shaking and crying now that’s been confirmed (for like the third time) that Vulcan isn’t at full power.
    With her power it is perceived as a challenge.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    With her power it is perceived as a challenge.
    But on the other hand was that her power made it she never loses, so she should not have lost the bet....just saying
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

This IS the premier X-Book with Legion running a distant second.
    My flag is bacon.

Fantastic Member

I think Magneto just threw a HUGE wrench into whatever plans Brand has probably for the best she obvi does NOT have Mutants best interests at heart.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Love how Bobby played Isca. Betting her Tarn would win and her having to take the bet that Magneto would. Her freaking out that she would lose, but her powers ensured she would win and in turn so would Magneto. This book is pretty amazing. I’m interested in how long and how Vulcan will turn out when he is reborn. Will this unleash the mad king or will they be smart and have pick an earlier back up?
    I would table that decision and place him behind Seline in the resurrection queue.
    My flag is bacon.

Erik was the star of the show, which Ewing nonetheless and brilliantly balanced between most of the main characters. But, to the point, Ewing has imbued Mags with such pathos in such a short amount of time and without compromising his indomitable will and strength. He’s done the same with Ororo, too.

Also, poor Vulcan—I’m cheering his defeats, though #sorrynotsorry—although to be fair to him and his fans, apparently, he hasn’t been operating at full strength or as himself. Per Marvin Flum, aka Mentallo:

If you fight Vulcan right now, you’re fighting the painting. The real Vulcan is inside the mountain. And I think that’s a guy who could maybe beat just about anyone on Mars.

Except maybe he’d incinerate everybody else in a square mile while he did it. Or maybe he’d crack the planet open like an egg. Or maybe he’d blow up the sun.
    It’ll be interesting to see what happens when he finally snaps.

Last edited by Mercury; 06-15-2022 at 07:28 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."