Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Does New Teen Titans by Woflman/Perez hold up?

I'm looking to dive into a superhero epic, and I was wondering if Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans holds up today and is worth reading.

FWIW, I've read lots of Claremont's X-Men and have no issues with its "dated" storytelling techniques. I'm in the middle of going through a long binge of the Avengers and it struck me that Teen Titans are a team I have no experience with whatsoever.

Thanks for any input!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Not gonna lie, a lot of the dialogue does not hold up well. Particularly Gar. There's a lot of dated references in it. That having been said, a lot of the stories are pretty good. Some of them kind of don't follow a logical course.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

I think it does.

There were some very good stories during that run. Plus, it introduced Slade Wilson as Deathstroke the Terminator and showed Robin/Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing.

My only problem with the run was it could be way, way too touchy-feely sometimes. But it's got amazing humor and characterization all through it.

I think there are elements of it that haven't but the overall story, characterization, art and the arcs still hold up pretty well in my opinion.

Some elements like Beast Boy being a perv feel dated* but I think the themes, struggles and emotions it speaks to are timeless.

*thank god he was completely reinvented for 2003 Teen Titans and Young Justice

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

There is also Terry Long.

Now excuse me I need to go and wipe him from memory again.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the early issues are kind of rough outside of Perez's art (which would become even better as it continued). The character dynamics have potential in even the first issues, but the dialogue is especially dated and melodramatic in them and some of the plots are hokey.

I think the best stretch of issues are from the first Brother Blood arc through Terror of Trigon. There are still some rough stuff, but it overall us one of the best stretches if Bronze age DC issues you can find. But it starts to decline as soon as Perez leaves for good.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-15-2022 at 09:21 AM.

It's still incredibly creative and some of the concepts are still radically fresh (Raven's pacifism, Starfire's passion and ferrocity as a warrior, the fates of the sidekicks, such as Wally deciding he didn't want to be a super-hero and Dick finding his own identity away from the shadow of the Bat, etc...), it introduced many major timeless threats, such as Trigon, Deathstroke, the Fatal Five, Brother Blood, etc... However, the quality of the writing itself is very dated. Even back then, I always found the touchy-feeling diologue way overdone (especially men, though becoming more open at the time, never talked so much about their feelings as the Titans did), and many of the jokes and stancesof the characters may not agree very well with today's more "evolved", sensitive and easily offended society, which may bother people some, however, I still think it's a pretty good read. I have the whole New Teen Titans TPB collection and I have re-read it a couple of times.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It's very... dramatic... but the Batman/Detective book at the time was also like that kinda so I'm guessing that is the style of writing at the time.

If Teen Titans is high strung drama of teens with explosive emotions, Batman/Detective are subdued phoetic gothic romance purple prose. I don't know which one I can't stand more.

Probably Titans, because it started out already rubbing me the wrong way with Dick snapping at Bruce that he can handle things on his own.

I was like... oh... ****... this is gonna be THAT era. I am page one and I already feel I'm too old for this.

I'm used to Dick Grayson that's more mature than the emotionally constipated Bruce. The Damian's actual mom, tamer of broody men, experienced mentor of young heroes Dick Grayson. This is from a completely different time where he was still young and finding his place, with a different Bruce who's attentive. This is gonna be a rough transition. Like, looking back at 15-year old you cringe.

That was my first impression.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-15-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Some elements like Beast Boy being a perv feel dated* but I think the themes, struggles and emotions it speaks to are timeless.

*thank god he was completely reinvented for 2003 Teen Titans and Young Justice
    I wouldn't say reinvented so much as they managed to capture the spirit of the character while toning him down. Same with the other Titans.

Probably about as well as any well-received comic from the time period, at least from the two trades I've read.

'cept Beast Boy. '03 show was a godsend for him.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Gar was good during the serious moments and his bond with Vic, but all of his interactions with the female cast are cringe as hell.

Astonishing Member

It's my favorite run of all time and I'd say 50/50? If you had no problems with Claremont's XMen, then you'll have no problems with this.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Yeah. I'm currently reading it now and it's pretty good. I'm at issue 23 where they meet Starfire's sister.

Wally declaring he hates Russians and he's Republican was wild tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There is also Terry Long.

Now excuse me I need to go and wipe him from memory again.
    No idea why I instantly thought of Terry Tate Office Linebacker...Ahh, funny commercials. HI Janice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg5cdZ-Fnpc