Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Does New Teen Titans by Woflman/Perez hold up?

I'm looking to dive into a superhero epic, and I was wondering if Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans holds up today and is worth reading.

FWIW, I've read lots of Claremont's X-Men and have no issues with its "dated" storytelling techniques. I'm in the middle of going through a long binge of the Avengers and it struck me that Teen Titans are a team I have no experience with whatsoever.

Thanks for any input!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Not gonna lie, a lot of the dialogue does not hold up well. Particularly Gar. There's a lot of dated references in it. That having been said, a lot of the stories are pretty good. Some of them kind of don't follow a logical course.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

I think it does.

There were some very good stories during that run. Plus, it introduced Slade Wilson as Deathstroke the Terminator and showed Robin/Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing.

My only problem with the run was it could be way, way too touchy-feely sometimes. But it's got amazing humor and characterization all through it.

I think there are elements of it that haven't but the overall story, characterization, art and the arcs still hold up pretty well in my opinion.

Some elements like Beast Boy being a perv feel dated* but I think the themes, struggles and emotions it speaks to are timeless.

*thank god he was completely reinvented for 2003 Teen Titans and Young Justice

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Some elements like Beast Boy being a perv feel dated* but I think the themes, struggles and emotions it speaks to are timeless.

*thank god he was completely reinvented for 2003 Teen Titans and Young Justice
    I wouldn't say reinvented so much as they managed to capture the spirit of the character while toning him down. Same with the other Titans.

Probably about as well as any well-received comic from the time period, at least from the two trades I've read.

'cept Beast Boy. '03 show was a godsend for him.

There is also Terry Long.

Now excuse me I need to go and wipe him from memory again.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There is also Terry Long.

Now excuse me I need to go and wipe him from memory again.
    No idea why I instantly thought of Terry Tate Office Linebacker...Ahh, funny commercials. HI Janice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg5cdZ-Fnpc

I feel like I must be one of the few people who don't find the '03 cartoon Titans that much different from the comic versions. Like, they maybe tone down and brighten their characters up to be more appropriate for kids a little but on a base level I think their true in spirit and characterization to the Wolfman and Perez Titans.

Does new teen titans by woflman/perez hold up?
    Yes

To be honest, while there were some highlights, it was kind of hard for me getting through the run. I love the art, but Wolfman’s writing style didn’t age that well, IMO.

Some elements have aged very poorly (Beast Boy in particular) but yes it’s still quite good. It begins losing steam after Judas Contract tho, imo.

Having read just The Judas Contract and nothing else for me, it's like coming in the last 15 minutes of Return of the Jedi (or any film trilogy) not only having not having seen the rest of that movie or its two previous movies and not understanding what is going who's who and etc.

While George Perez was one certainly of the greatest but his Nightwing costume looks like Dick Greyson should be getting high at an 80s nightclub not battling supervillains.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the early issues are kind of rough outside of Perez's art (which would become even better as it continued). The character dynamics have potential in even the first issues, but the dialogue is especially dated and melodramatic in them and some of the plots are hokey.

I think the best stretch of issues are from the first Brother Blood arc through Terror of Trigon. There are still some rough stuff, but it overall us one of the best stretches if Bronze age DC issues you can find. But it starts to decline as soon as Perez leaves for good.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-15-2022 at 09:21 AM.