Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I feel like I must be one of the few people who don't find the '03 cartoon Titans that much different from the comic versions. Like, they maybe tone down and brighten their characters up to be more appropriate for kids a little but on a base level I think their true in spirit and characterization to the Wolfman and Perez Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I must be one of the few people who don't find the '03 cartoon Titans that much different from the comic versions. Like, they maybe tone down and brighten their characters up to be more appropriate for kids a little but on a base level I think their true in spirit and characterization to the Wolfman and Perez Titans.
    Agree. It wasn't that different and arguably handled things better than the old comics did. After a certain point in the comics, Raven stopped being an actual character and became more of a diabolos ex machina to screw over the team, cartoon Raven maintained agency and remained a character. Cartoon handled Judas Contract better and didn't fall into the trap that Wolfman did, whitewashing Slade and pretending he did nothing wrong.

Does new teen titans by woflman/perez hold up?
    Yes

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Damn this thread made me wanna go back and reread the whole run now.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Yeah. I'm currently reading it now and it's pretty good. I'm at issue 23 where they meet Starfire's sister.

Wally declaring he hates Russians and he's Republican was wild tho.
    I know I remember being a little hurt that he was so hateful towards Red Star in that story. It definitely made me think about politics more than I ever had until that point. Wally was always a favorite of mine. This story made me doubt that a little but in a good way if that makes sense.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 06-15-2022 at 02:15 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Well, if you read Chkaremint X-men and had no issue with the dated storytelling, then yes it does. It still written in the 80s though, so in some instances the boundaries of what is considered acceptable behavior are quite different. Mileage may vary if how bothersome it is.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

To be honest, while there were some highlights, it was kind of hard for me getting through the run. I love the art, but Wolfman’s writing style didn’t age that well, IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Wally declaring he hates Russians and he's Republican was wild tho.
    I remember an episode of Family Ties where Alex P. Keaton tried to hand wave corporations and the wealthy dodging their taxes to a kindergarten class.

That was f-ing nuts.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

If you can handle that era of X-Men, you'll enjoy Titans.

Accounting for the obvious cultural differences and the changes in writing styles and standards, it's a damn fine run, warts and all. And there are definitely warts. But if you can digest Clarmont you can handle Wolfman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The art is still great, the writing has dated a bit. As DC Comics epics go, I don't think it's quite as good as the Levitz/Giffen Legion of Super-Heroes from the same era, but it is a strong run.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there are elements of it that haven't but the overall story, characterization, art and the arcs still hold up pretty well in my opinion.
    It's my favorite run of all time and I'd say 50/50? If you had no problems with Claremont's XMen, then you'll have no problems with this.
    Couldn't agree more. For what it's worth, I can read the entire run in one sitting without any problems

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    I'm looking to dive into a superhero epic, and I was wondering if Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans holds up today and is worth reading.

FWIW, I've read lots of Claremont's X-Men and have no issues with its "dated" storytelling techniques. I'm in the middle of going through a long binge of the Avengers and it struck me that Teen Titans are a team I have no experience with whatsoever.

Thanks for any input!
    I'm a word. The slang is of course dated but the plot, characterizations, and feelings evoked are classic. While much ado is made over Watchmen this Titans is what I find laudable and impactful

Marv Wolfman was an extremely talented writer for his time....that being said....

if I recall correctly he was on the Titans in one form or another for......a very long time... which means an eventual dip in quality.

Still he laid down the foundations for the modern Teen Titans, and is considered the gold standard by many from a historical standpoint.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The art is still great, the writing has dated a bit. As DC Comics epics go, I don't think it's quite as good as the Levitz/Giffen Legion of Super-Heroes from the same era, but it is a strong run.
    Having re-read the Great Darkness Saga and some of the aftermath issues, I have to agree that Legion holds up a bit better (writing wise- still fantastic art, but Perez in his prime > all). Even if I still overall am more attached to the Titans as characters.

Claremont also had his weird...tendencies and melodrama/purple prose, but overall I'd rank his writing style when he was firing on all cylinders as on higher level than Wolfman.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-15-2022 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Perez’s art is both wonderful and timeless.

The themes of coming of age, and of building a chosen family, remain relevant today. The way those themes are presented, both in terms of dialogue and plot, are very dated and at times creepy in retrospect.
    Cheers - CL