Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Great review once again, Pav. This mini has been highly enjoyable and it's been great to see Ben Reilly in his prime again. Huge props to DeMatteis and Baldeon for coming out with one of the best Spider-Man comics in a long time. Very interested to hear more about "The Lost Hunt"

...Now as for the ending...I'm conflicted.

On one hand, it feels very much like it was designed to serve as a potential retcon for Chasm if Dark Web and whatever else Wells and Lowe have planned fails to get people on board with the new status quo for Ben. I can very easily see them retconning that the Ben Reilly in Beyond (possibly the one from #87 onwards?) was Spidercide with Ben's memories implanted into him. It really feels like it's an out.

But on the other hand I feel like it would be kind of cheap. I feel like if they're going to do this to Ben at all they should stick with their guns, and if they're gonna undo it just fix his mind and move on. Ben potentially pull a Sasuke and travel the world (again) to try and come to terms with everything he's done and atone for his sins as Chasm. It could be very compelling, essentially what Peter David tried to do in BR:SS except done right.

There's potential for a great story there, imo. But I don't know if Marvel would see that as worth it. They'd probably end up going with the "easier" fix for Ben. I'm not entirely against it but it would feel disappointing, not gonna lie. But then again it would also be a way for them to have their cake and eat it too. Ben Reilly fans would stop bitching because the "real" Ben is back and can be a hero again, and they get to keep their "new Venom" in Chasm as well. I guess we'll just have to see.

Either way, make Ben a road warrior again plz, thanks

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm looking forward to Ben Reilly: Spider-Man --- The Lost Hunt. I also wonder if DeMatteis will ever do a "part three" to the Ben Reilly and Kaine saga begun in Spider-Man: The Lost Years and Spider-Man: Redemption. That said, Ben having some of Spidercide in him could certainly explain aspects of his rebirths and revivals from Clone Conspiracy onward, not to mention the finale and epilogue of Spider-Man Beyond. On the flipside, Spidercide having some of Ben/Peter in him, too, emotionally and psychologically speaking . . . was a rather poignant revelation. Would love to see if that leads to a revival in the present day. Maybe he could be the one who ends up shaking Ben back to his senses.
    The only complaint I really have is that having Spidercide turn good feels sort of like a Kaine redux. I wouldn't have minded him actually staying a villain for the sake of variety.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Great review once again, Pav. This mini has been highly enjoyable and it's been great to see Ben Reilly in his prime again. Huge props to DeMatteis and Baldeon for coming out with one of the best Spider-Man comics in a long time. Very interested to hear more about "The Lost Hunt"

...Now as for the ending...I'm conflicted.

On one hand, it feels very much like it was designed to serve as a potential retcon for Chasm if Dark Web and whatever else Wells and Lowe have planned fails to get people on board with the new status quo for Ben. I can very easily see them retconning that the Ben Reilly in Beyond (possibly the one from #87 onwards?) was Spidercide with Ben's memories implanted into him. It really feels like it's an out.

But on the other hand I feel like it would be kind of cheap. I feel like if they're going to do this to Ben at all they should stick with their guns, and if they're gonna undo it just fix his mind and move on. Ben potentially pull a Sasuke and travel the world (again) to try and come to terms with everything he's done and atone for his sins as Chasm. It could be very compelling, essentially what Peter David tried to do in BR:SS except done right.

There's potential for a great story there, imo. But I don't know if Marvel would see that as worth it. They'd probably end up going with the "easier" fix for Ben. I'm not entirely against it but it would feel disappointing, not gonna lie. But then again it would also be a way for them to have their cake and eat it too. Ben Reilly fans would stop bitching because the "real" Ben is back and can be a hero again, and they get to keep their "new Venom" in Chasm as well. I guess we'll just have to see.

Either way, make Ben a road warrior again plz, thanks
    Generally cosigned. I'd rather see Ben restored to his senses and having to reconcile with the good and bad of what he'd done and become, though having Spidercide along for that ride could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    The only complaint I really have is that having Spidercide turn good feels sort of like a Kaine redux. I wouldn't have minded him actually staying a villain for the sake of variety.
    Hmm, yeah, I can respect that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It was a bit of a foregone conclusion once DeMatteis started playing up the parallels with Ben. He rarely writes truly wicked villains, and having one of them be a Peter clone wouldn't sit right with the themes he handled during the Saga as well as this mini.

Yeah, unpopular opinion but retconning resurrected Ben as Spidercide is such a cheap out. As unhappy as I am with his new status quo as Chasm I'd rather it just be part of his history rather than awkwardly handwaved as someone else like Phoenix in the 80s.

The story in the book was great and a satisfying conclusion to this great mini. I'll say it again, who'd have thought JMD could turn Spidercide into a symbol of the horrible excesses of the Clone Saga into a sympathetic figure worthy of being one of the Parker brothers? I am excited to see where he shows up next.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It was a bit of a foregone conclusion once DeMatteis started playing up the parallels with Ben. He rarely writes truly wicked villains, and having one of them be a Peter clone wouldn't sit right with the themes he handled during the Saga as well as this mini.
    I get you and that's why it's not a big complaint. I love Dematteis and how he humanizes his villains and emphasizes redemption over punishment and revenge. I personally prefer Spidercide as a bad guy, but it's hard to complain too much about a story with such heart and compassion to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Yeah, unpopular opinion but retconning resurrected Ben as Spidercide is such a cheap out. As unhappy as I am with his new status quo as Chasm I'd rather it just be part of his history rather than awkwardly handwaved as someone else like Phoenix in the 80s.

The story in the book was great and a satisfying conclusion to this great mini. I'll say it again, who'd have thought JMD could turn Spidercide into a symbol of the horrible excesses of the Clone Saga into a sympathetic figure worthy of being one of the Parker brothers? I am excited to see where he shows up next.
    I agree with you completely.

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post

for me, whether the modern ben turns out to be spidercide, grows out of chasm, stays chasm or wakes up and it was all a dream...is much of a muchness. i'm done with that iteration beyond some curiosity on forums and socials.

JMD's work is character heavy, tending towards psychological examination that isn't just superficial, so i'm not surprised he went somewhere interesting with spidercide. i'd be curious to see how much of "peter" still lurks in his subconscious, since unlike kaine, he did start off with a full set of (rapidly deteriorating) memories

otherwise, i'm keen to have JMD and whoever else fill out ben's 90s spider-man time. make him feel a part of the marvel universe rather than just in his own odd little clone corner. give us view into a world where editorial didn't push ben out so quickly.
    troo fan or death

Thinking about it some more...why exactly does Spidercide go into a coma at the end? Ben talks about him looking like he's experienced a truth of some kind, so my best guess is that he realized that Ben was actually the clone, but I don't know for sure. Either way, I hope we see from him again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Thinking about it some more...why exactly does Spidercide go into a coma at the end? Ben talks about him looking like he's experienced a truth of some kind, so my best guess is that he realized that Ben was actually the clone, but I don't know for sure. Either way, I hope we see from him again.
    He gave a bunch of his life essence to save Ben and he nearly died from it. Hence, the coma.

BANNED

He gave a bunch of his life essence to save Ben and he nearly died from it. Hence, the coma.
    So for me the 'out' can go two ways

1. That Post-Conspiracy Ben is Spider-Cide
    2. Ben has been mentally and emotionally manipulated by Spidercide's essence coursing through his DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm looking forward to Ben Reilly: Spider-Man --- The Lost Hunt. I also wonder if DeMatteis will ever do a "part three" to the Ben Reilly and Kaine saga begun in Spider-Man: The Lost Years and Spider-Man: Redemption. That said, Ben having some of Spidercide in him could certainly explain aspects of his rebirths and revivals from Clone Conspiracy onward, not to mention the finale and epilogue of Spider-Man Beyond. On the flipside, Spidercide having some of Ben/Peter in him, too, emotionally and psychologically speaking . . . was a rather poignant revelation. Would love to see if that leads to a revival in the present day. Maybe he could be the one who ends up shaking Ben back to his senses.
    I love how Ben helped his brothers. He reminded Peter what it means to be Spider-Man, helped Kain in Spider-Man: Redempion, now he has helped the Spidercide understand humanity. I would like to read the story where the three of them try to get Ben's memories back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    So for me the 'out' can go two ways

1. That Post-Conspiracy Ben is Spider-Cide
    2. Ben has been mentally and emotionally manipulated by Spidercide's essence coursing through his DNA.

Or the switcheroo could happen just moments before the last memory erasing of the memories. Presto. No harm done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Or the switcheroo could happen just moments before the last memory erasing of the memories. Presto. No harm done.
    That can work too.

Though, given 'Ben' wanted to hug Kafka after one session in Beyond, knowing how much she did for him as Spidercide...It's all making sense now.

Yawn

So who's gonna bite the bullet and make Spidercide Appreciation Thread 2022